Author Topic: How much exercise?  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Londonwriter

Re: How much exercise?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 05:26:43 PM »
dont get to wound up...the working cocker owner prob meant if you want to work him you shdnt let him run wild and free(its all to do with the shooting side of things)....check the working section and you.ll find it mentioned
also let him be a puppy.....and also rule 1,,,, backs of chairs at windows are fair game for a cocker,,,,,,,lol buy a cheap thro!!!!! its just easier....

We don't mind him on the sofa - we have a throw  :005:. It's just the jumping up that worried me. I spend too much time scrutinising his little legs in case he's damaging them or growing up 'leggy'. I'm somewhat torn. He's manic and obviously under-exercised if I don't let him off-lead for ages, but I don't want a lame dog either. So I do what feels 'right' for Toq, but panic occasionally... :D

By the way, what do 'leggy' over-walked puppies look like? We saw a seven-month-old working Cocker today that looked like a small Lurcher or a spaniel-like cheetah... (like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/90404655@N00/231667810). It was constantly leaping to head height and sprinting after other dogs. Toq did play with it, but it was a bit fast and lively for him.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »
A pup being 'leggy' doesn't necessarily mean they've been over-exercised, that can be a reflection of their build and/or the growth stage they're at. A lot of them go through a lanky stage and some are unfortunately just not of ideal conformation regardless of how much or little exercise they get. That's the problem with overexercising puppies, you simply can't tell that you're causing damage until they're older and it's too late.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »

By the way, what do 'leggy' over-walked puppies look like? We saw a seven-month-old working Cocker today that looked like a small Lurcher or a spaniel-like cheetah... (like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/90404655@N00/231667810). It was constantly leaping to head height and sprinting after other dogs. Toq did play with it, but it was a bit fast and lively for him.

that's a flatcoat retriever puppy in the photo :dunno:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Londonwriter

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 08:50:12 PM »

that's a flatcoat retriever puppy in the photo :dunno:

Ok  :embarassed: Apart from the ears (which were more spaniel-like), the animal we saw looked just like that and the owner (who also had a show Cocker) told us it was a seven-month-old working Cocker. It was definitely as bonkers as Toq!

If that's a flat-coated retriever, this explains why my husband likes them so much!  :lol2: Toq 'could' look like that if his legs became a lot longer and his ears didn't!

The working Cockers do vary a lot. We've met two in the park so far and neither looked like Toq. One looked like a small Springer/big Cavalier and the other looked like... well, a flat-coated retriever pup.

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 11:43:23 PM »
Hi,carnt offer any advise,but have found this a very interesting thread as we have the same concerns with Benson who is also a four month old working cocker.we have found it just about imposable to keep him off the furniture and he is forever launching himself onto the sofa,off the sofa, onto the arm of the sofa and off again.He often uses the sofa as a launch pad to attack cloe >:D and I'm sure hes eyeing up the baby gate which is very scary.
OH takes him for a fifteen minute on lead walk in the mourning,and I take him to the park or golf course ect for off lead walk late afternoon with the best intentions of limiting it to twenty minutes,but if i take a few photos or meet other dog walkers this will very often extend to thirty minutes or longer and i will come home feeling a bit guilty ph34r.
However like you I struggle to see the difference between Benson romping around in the park,and him romping about in the garden or living room for that matter.Other than he does tend to do a lot more running in the park so perhaps this is the answer.

Offline Londonwriter

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 08:23:58 AM »
Hi,carnt offer any advise,but have found this a very interesting thread as we have the same concerns with Benson who is also a four month old working cocker.we have found it just about imposable to keep him off the furniture and he is forever launching himself onto the sofa,off the sofa, onto the arm of the sofa and off again.He often uses the sofa as a launch pad to attack cloe >:D and I'm sure hes eyeing up the baby gate which is very scary.
OH takes him for a fifteen minute on lead walk in the mourning,and I take him to the park or golf course ect for off lead walk late afternoon with the best intentions of limiting it to twenty minutes,but if i take a few photos or meet other dog walkers this will very often extend to thirty minutes or longer and i will come home feeling a bit guilty ph34r.
However like you I struggle to see the difference between Benson romping around in the park,and him romping about in the garden or living room for that matter.Other than he does tend to do a lot more running in the park so perhaps this is the answer.

I don't know, which is why I'm asking. However, from asking a vet friend and looking around on the internet, I've found out the following...

My vet friend says the guidelines are general. She says some breeds (like Labs) have a very high incidence of hip, etc. problems, but she thinks it's unfair to restrict the exercise of all young dogs on these grounds. Although Cockers do get hip and knee problems, the breed information I have says it's not a major problem with the breed. My friends says puppies legs are damaged mainly by walking on hard surfaces (i.e. tarmac) and being forced to continue when they want to stop (e.g. by lead walking them or hiking/jogging with a pup). She says that it's a risk walking a puppy longer because it could have a genetic propensity to hip problems that would be exacerbated, but her mum's Sprollie was doing half-day hikes at four months old!  :o This isn't something I would want to do with Toq at four months, however!

Having checked the Kennel Club's website, the five-minute rule is a guideline aimed at all breeds. The guidelines even recommend not allowing a puppy to walk too much after eating because it might get bloat, which definitely doesn't apply to Cockers (!) After seeing a pug of Toq's age in the park, it does seem absurd applying the same guidelines to every puppy. The poor little pug puppy could barely walk. Toq kept jumping about wanting to play and the pug was hobbling slowly in circles :'(  I can imagine that pug was exhausted after 10 minutes!

There are numerous posts by people owning high-energy, working breeds (e.g. collies, springers, etc.) with the same concerns we have. In summary, the puppy is under-exercised and tearing up the house, but they're scared to allow the puppy more exercise in case they damage its joints. Training and play doesn't exhaust the dog enough either because they're born to work (Toq drove me nuts before his vaccinations - he was practically doing doggie Open University. I spent hours thinking up new puzzles after he solved two Nina Ottosson ones on the first attempt).

My friend's recommendation was to avoid taking Toq on long 'walks', but instead to let Toq set the pace himself off-lead so he could decide when to stop. Keep Toq off tarmac as much as possible and allow Toq to run about on soft ground. Carry Toq or leave the area the minute he looks tired. Other recommendations I've read include not allowing him to play too long with other puppies because he'll get over-excited and carry on long past the point he's tired. In general, if Toq looks over-stimulated, I'll do some training or carry him so I can tell how tired he is. We also pick him up periodically so we can see how 'floppy' he is. If he relaxes in our arms after a couple of minutes and doesn't try to leap out, we carry him home.

Joint problems are close to my heart because, in August, I permanently damaged my knee doing the Great Glen Way with a 20kg rucksack. I now can't walk for more than an hour on tarmac without twinges, but I can walk up to four hours on soft ground. It was a real wake-up call for me and has made me pretty wary about injuring Toq.

Crucially, however, I knew I was doing damage but carried on anyway because I wanted to finish the route and was too proud to get a bag carrier. I was limping for two days before my knee eventually gave out seven miles from Inverness and I had to go to A&E.  I may be wrong, but I suspect Toq would moan/slow and sit down long before his humans over-walked him. Again, this might be wrong (?), but I suspect the people over-walking pups are taking them on long country walks where the pup is tired/hurting, but doesn't want to be left behind. I was walked like that as a child so wouldn't inflict it on my puppy! My parents made few allowances for me being small.

But I'm going to try switching to walking Toq three times a day - 2 x 20 minutes on tarmac and one carrying Toq to the park and off-leading him for 30 minutes. At the moment, he's doing two walks - a short one (15 minutes on tarmac) and a longer one (20 minutes to and from park with 30 minutes free play in the park). Unsure about the doggie stroller - I think it will be unnecessary within weeks. It would also probably encourage us to over-walk Toq - we'd go out for a six-hour country walk pushing Toq in the stroller and, inevitably, Toq would want to come out all the time...  :-\ Oh, and a pink doggie stroller will make Toq look like he belongs to Paris Hilton and insult his machismo  :005:

To me, there's a fine balance to be judged between having Toq miserable and under-exercised, and storing up problems for the future. I don't think strict clock-watching is helping us draw that balance correctly right now, and wondered how others had managed it.

Thoughts please? Discuss...

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 10:18:41 AM »
The 5 mins per month rule covers any type of exercise whether on lead, off lead on walks or off lead at home in a garden. I think your vet friend is spot on though and your new plan sounds great  ;) Dont forget to plan for training sessions too as they'll really help tire him as well as train him!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 10:40:52 AM »

I think that solution sounds great... and remember, in a couple of weeks he can go up to 25 mins 3 times a day - it really does build up very quickly!!  ;)
It won't be long until he can walk to the park for a run around (or at least walk one way!!!)...

I too tried to read up on this following this thread, and also saw the sort of discussions you were on about... I saw some very worrying suggestions on some (including one guy who starts his pups on the treadmill at 4 months!!!  :o ).

It is a balancing act... we only walked Honey twice a day so any play in the garden came from her 3rd walk allowance... though to be honest she preferred lying in sunbeams in the garden... or playing tug, which isn't so bad for joints... Yes, there were days when we went over, but these were exceptions rather than the norm.... and I'm sure most owners will be the same...  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 03:09:03 PM »

Having checked the Kennel Club's website, the five-minute rule is a guideline aimed at all breeds. The guidelines even recommend not allowing a puppy to walk too much after eating because it might get bloat, which definitely doesn't apply to Cockers (!)

The point about not walking straight after feeding is actually correct. It's more common in large, deep-chested breeds but any dog can potentially suffer from bloat/gastric torsion and it really isn't a good idea to exercise any dog just after feeding them, ideally you want to leave about an hour between feeding and exercise.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline sophiew

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 05:03:06 PM »
I have a pup the same age and I know what you mean about the flying leaps!

However, we've found over the past 2 weeks that there are other ways of wearing her out other than just walking. This starts with feeding her all of her daily food allowance from a stuffed Kong toy, Squirrel buddy or bone. Well-stuffed, this 'exerices' her for half an hour or more... we've also started hiding the toy first and she has to seek it out. This can all be done indoors if you don't have a garden. We then do short training sessions (5 mins at a time, or so) a few times a day. She also has structured play time indoors (including more hide and seek). She is only taken on relatively short walks (although more of these while we were off over Christmas), and has on-lead time (walking to heel) and 'free' time (either off lead or on extending lead).

Hope that helps. She also had sofa issues, but has gradually learnt that she gets no attention for jumping up. We used a house line (a long, light lead that you leave on them) and quietly removed her whenever she jumped up on the sofa (without touching her, talking to her, or looking at her). If she did it a few times in a row she got put away in the kitchen for time out. Need the patience of a saint!

Sophie
x

Offline ginnygirl

• Bella
    • http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt207/ginnygirl_album/adc60ac1.jpg
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 09:40:48 PM »
Hi been reading this thread with interest, can I just ask at what age are working cocker's able to walk without limits? Also what would be the minimum daily exercise an adult working cocker should have? thanks Julie
Julie

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 10:21:18 AM »

I was advised that from about 1 yr, a Cocker can build up to unlimited exercise (obviously you can't just go straight up into it!!).

As far as the minimum needed.... it really depends on the dog, and on what else you do.
I aim for a minimum of 45 mins twice a day... however she normally gets more than this (we were out for an hour and a half this morning).  There are times, though, when she gets less - especially if we've done a lot of training, or she's had an agility lesson...
Honey is 3/4 Worker, and isn't as high energy as some, but she could keep going all day if we gave her the chance!!!  :005:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline jla

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 10:36:05 AM »
I've got a 6 month old worker and I am sticking to the 30 min 'limit' for walks at the moment.  She does get plenty off play at home, running around in the garden for short bursts, at least one meal a day in a Kong / treat ball and training for 5  minute sessions, as well as hide and seek in the morning.  Is she getting 'enough' exercise some might say no but she seems happy.

She is a complete nutter and would probably run and run and run for hours if allowed but I do not want to take the risk at this age.

In fact I have noticed that if she gets too much stimulation and exercise it almost seems to take her over the edge and she goes into mad cocker mode - running around, grabbing stuff, not listening, generally being absolutely mad.  At those times I will enforce 10-15 minute crate rest and after she comes back out 'normal'.

One of the best pieces of advice her breeder gave me was that an overstimulated / over exercised cocker is the worse thing as it just becomes a downward spiral.  So that is why I do the crate rest sometimes.  At this age I think that they are able to take whatever you give them but don't necessarily know when to stop!

Offline ginnygirl

• Bella
    • http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt207/ginnygirl_album/adc60ac1.jpg
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 09:38:31 PM »
I am going to stick to the time guidelines for walking to, I think thats a good point about over stimulation I have given Ginny time out in her crate if she has got over excited and it does calm her down. While it has been snowing more heavily the last couple of days she has mainly had play and games in the garden and indoors and she is quite calm; this surprised me as I thought she would be really 'hyper' with less walking.
Julie

Offline Londonwriter

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 07:21:58 AM »
I am going to stick to the time guidelines for walking to, I think thats a good point about over stimulation I have given Ginny time out in her crate if she has got over excited and it does calm her down. While it has been snowing more heavily the last couple of days she has mainly had play and games in the garden and indoors and she is quite calm; this surprised me as I thought she would be really 'hyper' with less walking.

Due to my husband having a sickness with fainting bug, Toq has had fewer walks the last couple of days... And I wish he'd grown calmer!  >:( But he's become unbearably hyper instead. He's into everything, shredding stuff, jumping up and down, 'wall of deathing', stealing things off tables, grabbing clothes, etc. It's just like having a bunch of six-year-olds in a caravan in the rain... >:D :005: