Author Topic: Feeding quantities  (Read 983 times)

Offline Rhodri0311

Feeding quantities
« on: June 20, 2016, 07:23:07 AM »
Hi everyone, me again! I'm sure you're fed up of all my questions!

Rhodri is eating quite well at the moment but I'm really unsure on the quantities he's having. He's on Wainwrights kibble and wet. He has two meals a day and currently has about 50g-60g of kibble and a quarter of a tray of wet per meal. I know this is below the recommended amounts on the packaging but he seems happy with it. He also has training treats throughout the day and a dentastix in the evening.

We had him weighed on Saturday and he was exactly 14kg (he's seven months old) - he's not at all fat but he doesn't feel too skinny either.

Any advice much appreciated, thanks.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Feeding quantities
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
I feed Henry a little below the recommended amount of his food because he gets lots of training treats through the day including a very large piece of cheese cut into cubes and fed over the course of our walk! He seems healthy and happy, doesn't beg for food at other times, is a good weight (14.5kg) without being at all chubby, and his coat is so shiny people comment on it. Every dog is different, I think you have to take the guidelines as just that, guidance, not golden rules. The real measure is how your dog is. Sounds like Rhodri is doing just fine.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:25:12 PM »
I think Monty was probably around that weight at Rhodri's age. We have had to cut him down however due to his hip problems. He's now a slinky 12.2kgs and looking great. It all depends on the individual dog.
He's still a growing boy and as long as he seems happy and healthy I'm sure it's fine.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 04:09:38 PM »
Sounds like Rhodri is doing really well, all quantity's are guide lines only as each dog is different, it depends on how much he is burning off during the day etc,.

You can always up or down his food if you need to, I found I was constantly worrying about Bea's weight, was she fat,did she have a waist, was she hungry ?

I ended up taking a photo of her from above so that I could see how she looked, it's so hard when they are pups as all I could see with my girl was fur :005:   

They grow so quickly ,  sometimes you are just upping the quantity every few weeks until one day you realise that you don't need to anymore.