Author Topic: Feeding......Help  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Teddy_cocker

Feeding......Help
« on: July 12, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »
Hi there

i am a newbie to the site and also a new cocker spaniel owner
my 11 week old puppy arived at my house on sunday and i was wondering if someone could please help me with how much puppy food to feed him

the breeder gave me a little bit of food but she gave me Adult food witch i have thought is wrong as a puppy will need puppy food for the nutrition and everything else in the food to help him develop more

i went out and got him some different food  (Beta puppy food)
firstly is this food any good? he seems to love it

also how much should i be feeding him as i dont want to give im too much or not if

thank you for reading
all comments very much appreciated
 :D

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
Re: Feeding......Help
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »
Hi there!  I'm a new puppy owner too.  I've had my little Blue for just 4 weeks.
There are as many ideas about feeding as there are Cockers On Line members!
I think it's one of those things you have to do some reading on and make up your own mind what line you want to take - grain free, raw, wet, dry etc.
I found this website is very helpful, you can enter any dog food brand/type and get a review and suggestions of similar foods.
http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory
I decided to go with Nutriment raw puppy food, which is delivered frozen.  My puppy went straight onto it the day after he came home from the breeders and he has thrived on it.  At 16 weeks he will go on to the Nutriment raw adult version.
The only disadvantage is that it does take up a bit of freezer space, and you have to remember to defrost it in good time, but it is excellent food, Blue loves it and it keeps the bowels under control - firm regular poo, which is not offensive and is easily picked up.  (I think this factor alone would be enough to convert me to raw feeding!)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 01:16:21 PM »
Hi and welcome!
I'm surprised that the breeder gave you adult food, she really should know better -its a bit like feeding a baby steak and kidney pudding!
Its such an important stage in their development, -too much or too little of certain things can either make them grow too quicky, which is bad for joints, bones etc or stunt their growth, which can't be corrected later. I don't live in GB, so can't comment on brands etc but I'm sure there'll be lots of really good advice from other people on here.
Like Blueberry, I too am a strong advocate of raw but also appreciate its not for everybody and its also something you need to read up on a bit in order to undertsand the principles so you get the balance right. (Incase you're interested, I can strongly recommend a facebook group called Raw Feeding UK, which gives gives some excellent advice and support). But there are lots of excellent alternatives, my previous dogs had dried and wet food and lived to ripe old ages.
This forum is the best place for help and advice and I'm sure others will be along soon with more concrete tips. In the meantime, would love to see a few pictures!!

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 02:02:23 PM »
Hi and Welcome to COL :D

The amount you need to feed your puppy will be dependant upon the food you are feeding them,  there should be a feeding guide on the bag or you could try and ring the company for further advise.   That is unusual that your pup came home on adult food, unless it's a food that is suitable for all life stages??  My two are fed on Canagan Free Run Chicken Kibble and so is my mum's new puppy Mabel as it is suitable for all ages they just have different amounts...  We've found our dogs seem to do better on a grain free diet but ultimately the best food for your dog is the one that suits them best. 

Allaboutdogfood is a good website for researching different available foods, there are so many out there its hard to know where to start!
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 11:32:43 PM »
Yes I think I remember reading that some of the dry foods are suitable from puppy to old age, I think Eden was one of them.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 06:37:57 AM »
Yes I think I remember reading that some of the dry foods are suitable from puppy to old age, I think Eden was one of them.

I have to apologise for my remark about the breeder, - I hadn't realized that such feeds existed! Sorry!  ;)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 09:03:25 AM »

I have to apologise for my remark about the breeder, - I hadn't realized that such feeds existed! Sorry!  ;)

Does seem strange doesn't it, I too always thought the nutrition needs of a puppy were different to those for an adult dog, until I read a thread on COL about it.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Teddy_cocker

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 09:35:11 AM »

dont have too apologise as the food the breeder gave me was adult food and not suitable for all ages
i have been giving him one handfull 3 times a day of dry Purina Beta so far but sometimes eats all three and sometimes leaves abit when it comes toohis third meal of the day