Author Topic: Milk?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
Milk?
« on: June 19, 2016, 10:08:09 PM »
I brought my 10 week old pup home from the breeders this week.  The breeder was feeding him a lesser known brand of kibble, which she was very keen to promote.  In addition, she told me to give him goats milk.  Initially, she said keep him on it until he's 4 months old, but in the info that she sent me home with, she says to continue it until 12 months!
I did a quick survey amongst friends, none has ever been told to give their pups milk once they are weaned from mama.
I've already switched him off the recommended kibble and on to Nutriment, which he wolfs down.  It has bone added, so would that cover all his calcium needs?  Do you think I could stop the milk now?
The other issue is that his ears fall in the milk and it drips everywhere, it soon gets smelly.  No matter how vigilant I am with the mop, I can't get rid of the stink - it's probably his ears.
I bought spaniel bowls, but he's so little, his whole head fits in them!  :005:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Milk?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 10:35:33 PM »
never have heard this before.  Never have given any type of milk to my dogs except when in a cup of tea  ph34r
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 12:01:07 AM »
Rory's breeder recommended a little goats milk when he was a puppy.  I think I gave him a little bit for a few months.  I do still give him (and the others) goats milk yoghurt though, only a little maybe twice a week as its really good for digestion and they love it as a treat in their kibble.  Bless him, he needs to grow into his bowl - I remember many meal times holding back ears from getting in their dinner!  :005:
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 06:13:11 AM »
Thanks, I think I will just use up the Goats milk I have in the fridge and then stop it.  Thinking of tying his ears up with a hairband or something!

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 06:34:04 AM »
Having had basset's and now my little cocker boy, I can say spaniel bowls are great for the ears, I bought really small ones for when he was a baby, which worked fine, he has gone up in size now.  :D

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 06:59:56 AM »
My previous cocker's breeder told me to continue giving goat's milk for a few months but I stopped within 2 weeks.  Previous to this, I'd never heard of giving pups it.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline tenaille

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 07:54:33 AM »
Martha had goats milk each day and the breeder advised continuing with it while she's growing (and she really enjoys it). We are just slowly reducing it, but to be honest everything I've read indicates its really healthy for puppies and dogs so we will probably continue giving it to her from time to time as a treat.

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 01:22:36 PM »
The breeders of my sisters puppy (not a spaniel) told my sister to give pup a little warm goats milk at night to help puppy settle before bed....
It's a year on and Maple will moan and howl until she gets her milk! So my sister is having to carry on the ritual!!!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »
Bea's breeder also advised Milk for her when she came home, I did this for a few months and then stopped.

You can also get powdered goats milk for Pups and convalescing dogs, you could add it to food to up calcium etc if you are concerned, Your boy is on a good food so should be ok to stop the milk if he isn't enjoying it, a little diluted Hibiscrub to clean his ears should clear the smell.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 04:29:56 PM »
Thanks all, I have decided not to give him any more milk, I have had a read around the net and it seems it's 'nice, but not necessary'.  Really, I would prefer to keep things simple, just Nutriment & water, plus grain free treats and training rewards.  He is really good, eats all his food and, at present, shows no interest in human food, I would like it to stay that way.
The poor cat is most put out about this noisy puppy arriving, so I will let him have the goat's milk instead!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 07:13:32 PM »
I have a very small "cat's" bowl & it's to small for her ears to get into.   I also use a very soft human hair band to tie her ears up with.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 08:10:23 PM »
In the 'old days' before kibble and stuff, we would raise pups on four meals, two meat, two milk. The milk meals would consist of things like scrambled egg with milk, rice pudding (without sugar), egg custard, cheese on wholemeal toast. This was at three months, omitted one milk meals at four months, and omitted the last milky meals at six months. All my pups thrived, and there was never an issue of refusing food, I think the variety kept them interested. HTH.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 08:24:47 PM »
I know Bea was weaned on Baby Rice, I've never tried her on it but Fish Finger was also on the list to feed her, as Finvarra has listed there was a lot of variety in the Diet and as a pup she never refused anything.

Now like Humans her taste has developed, Scrambled Egg, Sardines, Cheese, Cottage Cheese and Yogart are all a good addition to a diet, Cheese in small pieces but it's amazing what Bea will spit out at the mention of CHEESE  :005: