Author Topic: Clippers  (Read 1724 times)

Offline archieb

Clippers
« on: June 16, 2016, 06:51:59 PM »
anyone recommend a good make of clippers for doing their own cocker

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Clippers
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 09:01:25 PM »
I have these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andis-2-Speed-Professional-Animal-Clippers/dp/B009WM6SGC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1466107174&sr=1-1&keywords=andis+2+speed+dog+clippers

They often seem to come up when this question is asked.

Cheap clippers are a false economy and you will soon pay for them if you clip your dog yourself  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:15:16 PM »
I have the Andis two speed clippers. They are expensive but pay for themselves after three clips I reckon!
I have the 10fc, 7fc and 5fc blades.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 11:28:18 PM »
I use Andis 2 speed also [emoji41] x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 11:02:44 AM »
Another Andis 2 speed fan here. I've had mine for about 6 years and apart from occasional blade sharpening they've cost nothing in terms of maintenance. I use them to clip my 12 year old Cocker all over apart from leaving some feathering. I handstrip my 7 year old Cocker but use the clippers on tops of ears, insides of ears, foreface, underneath chin and down throat to breastbone, underneath tail, fronts of front legs and back legs below hocks. I do both dogs roughly every 6 weeks.

Offline archieb

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 11:57:17 AM »
thanks for your help - I am thinking a 10 blade should be about right for not too close

Offline lescef

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=32160.0       

Not sure what others think but a I feel a ten is too close on the body, but then I like to see them with a bit of hair. I use the ten in the summer but like a seven the rest of the time. I use a ten on the upper ears, under ears, neck and underbody. I've just used a five all round  their front legs for the first time as I like chunky looking legs. There's a good picture of what to use where. I'll see if I can link it. (It always goes to the top of the page!)

Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 01:57:24 PM »
A 10 is pretty close - you get a 10 blade included with the clippers, but you would need another one for the body to be honest.  I would be wary of clipping the body too short as it can do more harm than good and the dog can end up getting too hot anyway  :-\

I use the 10 for Coco's head and face, tummy, armpits and the underside of her ears.

For her body, I use a 5F which gives a neat cut but doesn't look scalped  :o :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 12:12:33 PM »
There are lots of great clippers. My personal reccomendation would be for either the Andis super 2 speed as mentioned above or the Heiniger cordless. These are more expensive then the andis, so it depends what you want to spend on them. The andis are an excellent work horses, but I prefer the feel of the Heiniger and the fact they are cordless is massive plus for me. Blade wise I use a 10 on the top thirds of ears, head and throat, but you want a longer blade on the body as a 10 is very tight. I use a 7, but you can use longer. :)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 10:12:27 PM »
If you look at the top of the Grooming page here, there is a "clipping guide" posted by Michelle ages ago.
It gives a good guide of which blades to use where.... I use 7f over the body and 10f on the face, head and throat areas  :D
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline archieb

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 07:33:20 PM »
thank you all for your help