Author Topic: Annie - the next installment  (Read 1930 times)

Offline sodpot2000

Annie - the next installment
« on: June 30, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »
Well, its four weeks today since we did a 400 mile round trip to pick this little lady up from MT. It was worth every mile and it is so wonderful to see her start to blossom.

From a dog who had never walked on a lead we now have a little lady who can't wait to put her harness on and go out. We have built things up slowly but she is now able to enjoy about 3 miles across the fields in an evening. The effect of her background is that she has not yet built up the muscles and so it as as though she has no 'long range tanks'. She loves the walks and seeing new things but as soon as she is home she is fast asleep until morning. Even after a month though, you can see her little body starting to fill out. Dinner vanishes very quickly!

When she thinks there is no one looking she has started to investigate baskets of washing and I don't think it will be long before things start to disappear!

Although still wary of men and skittish around them, she is working so hard to understand all the changes. After I had dried her from last night's walk she went to sleep in my lap which is a small thing, but such a big step for a little dog who has kept herself safe by staying away from men. It will take time but I am sure we will get to the point where she is confident enough to come forward to greet you but that will be at her pace. Last weekend she went for a short walk up to the lane with me on her own which I thought was another step forward.

What has been a real pleasure to see is the way Buster has taken her under his wing and is really protective of her. When a chained up farm dog was barking whilst we walked past he 'returned fire' with his usual vigour, but kept running back to Annie to reassure her before going back to yelling abuse at the collie. On Saturday morning I thought that the stiff walk up onto the moor might be a bit too much for Annie and so took Buster on his own. I expected him to be exited at a 'lads only' trip. Not a bit of it! Very subdued and clearly thinking "we should have brought the lasses with us".

Over the last few days it has been good to see Annie joining in and barking with Buster when they see or hear something outside. She seems to now feel that it is her pack and territory which is really good.

Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive and encouraging of this latest 'project'. I will keep you all up to date as we move forward.

Rodney

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Annie - the next installment
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
Your post just made me feel all warm
and fuzzy :D
what a little sweetheart :luv: and what a
smashing big bro too :luv:
 :cool4:

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »
Ahh..... that's a lovely update. You obviously understand her needs so well. She is very lucky to have found you.  :luv:
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:03:47 PM »
what a lovely update thankyou  :luv: :luv: :luv: its wonderful to hear how Annie is finding her feet and starting to find out that life can be fun
you are doing a brilliant job with her

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »
fantastic news    :luv: :luv:   made me cry
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 03:55:37 PM »
That's so lovely to read, made my day  :luv:  :003:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »
Such a heart warming thing that is happening with Annie, we all wait for each instalment of her progress.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 04:26:17 PM »
Among all the squabbling, arguing and general exasperating news we've had to endure recently, is this not a breath of fresh air?
Well done to you and Buster for giving this little girl her life back! Looking forward to the next installment of Annie!!! 👍

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 04:45:03 PM »
Among all the squabbling, arguing and general exasperating news we've had to endure recently, is this not a breath of fresh air?
Well done to you and Buster for giving this little girl her life back! Looking forward to the next installment of Annie!!! 👍

Absolutely. COL has been a haven of Not-the-News in the past week, and Annie's story is an absolute treat. Well done ALL of you. 👏👏👏
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 09:45:27 AM »
Such a heart warming update about Annie  :luv: :luv: and what star Buster :luv: :luv: is for looking after his sister. i shall look forward to more updates :021:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 10:33:07 AM »
So lovely to read this :luv:
Well Done to all of you!! Can't wait to hear more updates :D
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Heatherb88uk

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 01:32:39 PM »
Lovely to read that your rescue girl is doing so well. I've just rescued Roxy and am so in love with her already. All the very best for your girl and Buster sounds amazing.

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 07:01:50 PM »
That's a lovely update, thank you  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 08:31:49 PM »
Annie you are such a brave girl  :luv: well done sweetheart. Buster is such a good boy  :luv: you really understand why MT's want an existing dog in the home. Thank you for the update. X

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 08:38:39 PM »
That's fantastic!

I love reading all the updates on the rescue dogs.  It's so heartwarming!