Author Topic: going out in rain?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
going out in rain?
« on: June 29, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »
Blue apparently doesn't like getting his hair wet!  It's disappointing because, at long last, we are allowed to go out walking anywhere we like.  However, Blue won't go out in the rain.  I took him out this morning, he just sat down and refused to budge despite lots of excited encouragement from me.  I carried him for a few yards and put him down again, luring him along with treats.  Eventually we managed about 10 minutes of walking, but he turned and ran for home at the earliest opportunity - and promptly did his toilet on the kitchen floor!
How can I get him to enjoy going for walkies, whatever the weather?

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: going out in rain?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:56:19 AM »
Has little Blue :luv: got a raincoat?
Staffie Mini wont go out in the rain
without her coat on :D :rain:

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 12:10:08 PM »
Maddie won't go out in the rain!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 12:11:59 PM »
No, no raincoat - yet ...  Sounds like it might be an essential investment, living round here. 
What do we do about toilet training when it's chucking it down then?

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:47:19 PM »
It is just part of the growing up, ensure that you have lots of high value treats so he cannot resist them. Eventually it will all come together including the toilet business.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 12:51:11 PM »
Raincoat ordered.  High value treats - check.  Looks like it's going to brighten up a bit, so will seize my opportunity!

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 12:55:43 PM »
Rosie will go out whatever the weather, but Ebony has gone 18 hours without a wee at home, however she enjoys her walks and she will go out in the rain, and at our caravan....it's me that won't  :005:

I believe with, Ebony, we got her in January, when it was very wet and toilet training became a nightmare. She perhaps associates our garden with being forced out in the rain. I must admit with all my other puppies I used paper, gradually moving to the door together with going outside. The new thinking is just straight outdoors. With hindsight I wish I'd used both, as my anxiety and frustration, although I tried hard not to show it, was passed onto her,not that I'm advocating it works for everyone.

As far as walks go, personally I wouldn't get too upset about him not wanting to walk in the wet, as its early days, wait for dry weather so he enjoys them and then he'll want to go.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »
Dylan hates the rain, he has to be thrown out last thing at night if it,s raining. He has a jacket for walks, and is OK with that (just). He won,t walk in a puddle or paddle in the sea, absolutely will not get his dainty toes wet, what a wuzz   :lol2:. However, look on the bright side - you won't have a soggy doggy trying to cuddle you - there is nothing so,affectionate as a wet dog  :005:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 01:34:33 PM »
If they've been indoors all their life rain can come as a shock! Henry had a few toilet accidents in the first few weeks because of rain. I used a large umbrella over him, which helped.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 01:38:12 PM »
Hmm, we live in W Yorkshire, elevated and exposed, so often extremely windy as well as wet.  A good thing I picked him up in the summer is all i can think at the moment, can't imagine how folk go on with house training in the winter!  Hopefully it will brighten up soon and the wind will drop.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »
Er...I thought we had ENGLISH cocker spaniels???  :005: :005: :005:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 02:05:11 PM »
Hmm, we live in W Yorkshire, elevated and exposed, so often extremely windy as well as wet.  A good thing I picked him up in the summer is all i can think at the moment, can't imagine how folk go on with house training in the winter!  Hopefully it will brighten up soon and the wind will drop.

We got Henry at the end of October. He got over his dislike of going outside in the rain for a wee pretty quickly when he realised it wasn't optional, so don't despair! He still doesn't like a street walk in the rain but is fine in the park. If he gets really wet he'll be all sleepy and pathetic for the rest of the day. Such a princess.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »
Hey Blueberry, where do you live?...
we be in Leeds so Yorkies too :D

Offline tenaille

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 02:39:47 PM »
not just cockers, I have to hold a brolly over Martha the fieldie for evening wees (or I know I'll be cleaning it up in the morning)  :luv:
whatever happened to our big 'ard spaniels

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 02:40:40 PM »
8 Hairy Feet I'm up on the tops between Halifax/Huddersfield.