Author Topic: Charlie's been given more freedom (out of his crate)  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Briggo09

Charlie's been given more freedom (out of his crate)
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »
Hi all,
Charlie was 6months on Sunday and since he was 8 weeks have always used a crate with him, for sleeping and when we are not at home. Decided last week it was time to leave the crate door open when we are out of the house and restrict his movements to the kitchen diner and things could not have gone better! Am so chuffed and feel great about giving him more freedom. I honestly think the crating whilst too young to know better has helped him with toilet training (always been great) and not wrecking the house (again always been great due to never being left to do as he pleases). I know a few anti crate people will not agree with this, but for me it's been a superb training tool and in fact Charlie really loves it.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Charlie's been given more freedom (out of his crate)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 01:21:12 PM »
Really pleased this is working for you. A word of caution, though: Henry was pretty good at not destroying things at 6 months, but went through what is commonly know as the secondary chewing phase at about 8 months, and with his adult teeth he did a lot more damage, including chewing through a window sill! So don't give up on the puppy proofing quite yet.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Briggo09

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »
Yeh I have heard about this. That's why he is only in the kitchen- nothing that I'm to fussed about- he has sooooo many toys and chews and literally grabs them from the corner and chews them as he pleases- by the end of the day my living room looks like I have a toddler the amount of toys laid around.  :005:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 07:02:54 PM »
.....also don't underestimate the climbing capabilities  ;) My kitchen chairs don't fit too snugly under the table, so I put them on the table every night (closed cafe style!!). The first night I'd left Humphrey, he'd climbed up and got my thyroid tablets off the shelf. I also turn the key in the lock as he also succeeded in jumping up and pulling the handle down, which got him into the lounge  >:D.
Yep! They can be right little Houdini's sometimes!!! :005: :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 07:05:48 PM »
Yeh I have heard about this. That's why he is only in the kitchen- nothing that I'm to fussed about- he has sooooo many toys and chews and literally grabs them from the corner and chews them as he pleases- by the end of the day my living room looks like I have a toddler the amount of toys laid around.  :005:

You have!! all be it a four legged furry one ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 11:08:45 PM »
When we were discussing getting a puppy about 4 months after we lost our 16 year old dog, I was totally a apalled at the idea of a crate. No way would my dog be caged! Then, after reading and researching plus Bonnie was in a crate from being born, I relented. Best thing ever. For us, same as you, Bonnie was a dream to toilet train and not one thing chewed (except her own toys; she can still destroy a dog toy in less than a day  :005:). I'm a big convert to crates, if the pup is happy in them of course, which Bonnie always was. She would still sleep in one I think if we had one up.

We let Bonnie have the freedom of the kitchen and dining room around the same age, 6 months,  and she was a star. Never did chew anything so here's hoping Charlie is the same xxx

Offline Briggo09

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 05:37:09 PM »
Still all going smoothly- although he gave me a new unwanted experience of a different kind today.... Rolling in fox poo for the first time >:( .... Safe to say it was horrific. Having to rush him home and bath him then dry him all with about 30mins before going to work was not my idea of an afternoon   :005: . Puppies, you gotta love em!

Offline daw

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 12:40:19 PM »
Really glad it's worked. You will see the benefits later on since the more freedom a growing puppy has the less likely it is to exhibit problems as an adult. Well done! (Sorry the fox poo doesn't qualify as a problem- that's a cocker hobby.)

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 04:16:09 PM »
Well done so far, but as daw said Fox poo is a treat for any cocker and we have had the problem too many times, in fact the record is 3 times on one outing!  >:D

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 04:43:36 PM »
Henry has never rolled in fox poo - even in his own garden. Beginning to think he's not a cocker at all...
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)