Poll

Do challenging pups turn into challenging dogs?

Easy puppy, easy adult dog
6 (23.1%)
Easy puppy, challenging adult dog
3 (11.5%)
Challenging puppy, easy adult dog
10 (38.5%)
Challenging puppy, challenging adult dog
5 (19.2%)
I do not have a dog/ my dog is still too young to know how it will be as an adult
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: August 01, 2016, 04:07:16 PM

Author Topic: Do challenging pups turn into challenging dogs?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline hoover

Do challenging pups turn into challenging dogs?
« on: July 02, 2016, 04:07:16 PM »
I was just wondering if it was possible to get an idea of whether puppy behaviour has some bearing on what sort of adult dog they turn into.

I have heard several people on this forum say that their cockers were pretty challenging as puppies but turned into well behaved and loving adult dogs.  I am sure others have had easier pups but at maturity things were harder whilst other people's dogs have always been fairly easy to work with, or always pretty challenging regardless of age.

I know this is an overly-simplistic poll that doesn't account for the many nuances that may exist (discrepancies in owner's perspectives of what constitutes an easy dog, training, environmental changes, neutering etc) but I think it might still be interesting to try to gain a general idea of people's experiences.

I have left the poll open for 30 days and given each user a chance to vote 10 times so that you can put options down for all the different dogs you may have had. 

Of course if anyone wants to put down more info about why they chose the option they did it would be really interesting to hear more detail.

Offline daw

Re: Do challenging pups turn into challenging dogs?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 04:14:36 PM »
Just done it. I had a real extreme- a puppy that bit to draw blood, attacked hands feet and even noses, destroyed (a first edition, then the bookshelves, then a chesterfield sofa) and became the sweetest, most empathic super dog. Still miss him 12 years later.

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 04:34:32 PM »
Morgan was an extreme puppy (very, very bitey) challenging ("go on make me!")and he's still awkward  :005: supremely over-confident, bouncy, a terrible thief, destroyer and as stubborn as a mule  >:( but we love him to bits of course  :luv:

Hugo was a darling puppy, no puppy biting at all!! so obedient and willing to please but nervous (I don't think he outgrew the fear stage)He's still wary of some people especially new ones but he's a total poppet  :angel:

ETA I should add that they both have marvellous temperaments, no guarding, no bad temper, no mouthing and no inter-dog arguments  :luv:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline hoover

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »
I had thought I had set it up so that you could vote several times, but I don't think this has worked in practice. 

I think perhaps on the first time you vote it will allow you to vote for up to the 4 options - so if you have 2 dogs and they both neatly fall into 2 separate categories that might work, but I don't think it will allow you to put 3 dogs in one same category, for eg.  Once you have submitted your vote/s it doesn't seem to allow you to revisit it.

So perhaps people with lots of dogs will just have to select the option that fits their more usual experience?

Sorry about that.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 05:57:57 PM »
I can't really vote as both of my previous cockers had issues (one medical so a lot of the behaviours were tied to that as an adult and one with extreme behavioural issues, making for a very challenging pup and adult). 

It will be interesting to see how Monty develops as so far, he has been a dream pup (apart from the usual cockerdile tendencies :lol2:).
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 06:20:57 PM »
Dexter was a real pain as my early posts will bare witness, he is now the most loving dog although he can still have a few moments of naughtiness but he is still young. Like all cockers he is a terrible sock and underwear thief.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 07:55:53 PM »
I've based my vote on Chaz, our male worker, as Milly, our female show strain, came to us as a rescue at 7 months old.

We found Chaz to be quite "challenging" as a puppy but his breeder told us that his dad was exactly the same at that age  :005:

Like his dad he started settling down at about a year old and now, at 3 years old, he's as good and obedient as anyone could wish for  :luv:

Bob.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 09:23:09 PM »
I've based my vote on all three of my cookers. First two were easy pups and easy dogs which is why Archie was such shock! He was a nightmare puppy - well documented on my earliest posts here. He is now an adorable, well behaved cuddle bucket.....with issues that I manage carefully on a daily basis.  ph34r I've got used to how to work with him now so it's no bother but I can't leave him with strangers or take him to other people's houses with any degree of relaxation on my part!! (Unless everything is nailed down or rooms are empty of anything but furniture, he has to stay on a lead). My mum looks after him when I need her to but she sometimes has struggles with him. He is who he is and I've learned to accept that.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 11:08:09 PM »
I echo Archie Beans post exactly!
When you've been on the steep learning curve of the challenging puppy,  you understand how sensitive they are.     I too found taking him anywhere as an adult, quite tense. M-in-law was a nightmare, she seemed to be magnetically attracted to fussing around near him, offering countless cups of tea , and tins of biscuits being waved around . I could have bitten her myself when she dropped a little side table on him!   My mantra to every one was.. Don't stare at him, just ignore him and he'll be fine.  And he was, bless him. As for guarding? Well I conquered that by  not being the slightest bit interested in the object of desire.
Such a complicated little soul.  The more work you put into a dog, the more you get out of them, and the more you love them.  Now I'm all weepy.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.