Author Topic: Hunting / rabbiting  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Neil

Hunting / rabbiting
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:33:49 PM »
I've mentioned elsewhere that, while he's been away, Bobby has got poor at recall and can't be walked off lead. Having had a little longer to observe his behaviour I'm convinced that his hunting instinct has kicked in, big time. He still knows and understands the "come" command, but the thrill of the chase, or even the prospect of the chase, far outweighs the reward of a few dog treats for an obedient recall.

At the moment, more than previous years for some reason, our easiest and preferred walking territory on Cleeve Hill is rife with rabbits. If Bobby is off lead and spots one, or picks up a scent, he will be gone.

As far as I know he has no working strain in him, although I can't be sure of that, but his hunting instinct seems very strong. I've read some interesting articles on gun dog websites today that suggest that this is typical and normal cocker behaviour, although more so in working strain, but I've seen few threads on this forum, and no recent ones,  suggesting that other members have had this issue.

So I would be very interested to know whether other members have had this problem, and if so, how they dealt with it.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Hunting / rabbiting
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:52:28 PM »
I don't know about the hunting instinct, but I wonder if it would help starting over with the recall training with a whistle? I've been working with Henry for a couple of months now on this so he turns mid-gallop to come back to me even when he REALLY wants something in the other direction (most of the time, it's not quite perfect yet!). The whistle has a power over him that calling 'come' never had.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:21:49 PM »
Just home after a training session with the pup - 20 minutes of which she did on her own  >:D

We are back on lead walking and long lines again until I can trust her.........

Off for a gin and a lie down

Jayne

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:59:52 PM »
I think cockers will sniff out anything!
Whistle training and a long line sound the way to go. It will be a slow process though to get him to ignore rabbits and the like!
My two become deaf when they sniff pheasants, they flush them out then look completely stunned!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 06:34:15 AM »
I'm also a (newely converted) supporter of the long line, its done wonders for us. Our trainer reckoned it could take up to a year but to be honest, after about 2 months, Humphrey's got the idea and is very rarely very far away now, so infact I rarely get chance to even practice the whistle, but I agree with LG, whistle is far more effective than a verbal recall. There's a sticker on here for perfect whistle recall, whichnis excellent. Its also a good idea to get into the habit of praising whenever he turns to look at you or checks back in, that will also encourage him to stay close. I have to admit, it was a challenge for me, I hated the idea of not being able to watch him run free, but long term, its paying out.
I was told that once they've experienced the chase, its a bit like a drug, they get "high". I think your best bet is distraction, even the best trained dogs are hard to recall once they're in chase, you need to stop him before he gets going.
Best of luck, - keep us posted, it'd be interesting to know how Bobby gets on!

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 07:17:21 AM »
Have whistle trained Rosie and 90% of the time it works fine, although the first whistle ie Rosie come doesn't always work and a second whistle of 'get your butt over here now' is needed but sometimes the hunt/ smell is too much .Finding I am having to up the anti on the treats .....and having to second guess when She might go off and call Her back sooner rather than later.Just presumed this was natural insticnt kicking in.But some days are worse than others, almost as if sometimes She has the devil in Her, other days She is a little angel.......I had 3 daughters so its all a bit dejavue.......lol

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »
Ah yes, once there is radar lock on a target all the other senses shut down! Been there and got the tee shirt!

I am another fan of whistle and long line but it can be a hard job. The way it was explained to me was - suppose you were engaged in the most intensely pleasurable activity you can imagine [insert own choice here] and someone said if you stopped you could have a biscuit. Would you?

I believe that it is important not to let him chase because there is so much positive reinforcement from doing it that it makes teaching not to a lot harder. Philippa Williams, who does gun dog demos at Crufts, is very good on this issue and there used to be some stuff on her web site.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »
Millie (11 month old worker) has a very high hunting instinct. The only thing that stops her tearing off after every furry/feathered animal is her ball. She won't leave my side if I have got that in my hand.

Offline rubybella

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 08:20:55 AM »
In a highly populated rabbit area I would put him on a lead, if allowed to chase it will reinforce the pleasure they get from it. Train for recall in areas where they are no rabbits and then on a long line in areas where more rabbits to practice recall with distraction.