Author Topic: Growling working cocker  (Read 2800 times)

Offline catherinemall

Growling working cocker
« on: June 29, 2016, 08:31:51 PM »
We have a 2.5 year old neutered male wc that we got aged 8 weeks. He joined our family with three children the middle of whom is now 16. The dog has been largely walked and well trained by mum which is me. Our wc has been increasingly dismissive of our son who adores wc. In fact v often he is audibly ecstatic about the dog, who he often approaches to pet. My son is the only person wc doesn't get up to greet when he comes home and he has growled at him quite often when son approaches him on the sofa or bed (he does this to everyone). Today my son was lying on the floor with the dog, playing mildly. Son then went to get up gently pushing the dog out of the way. This provoked a snarling response and a snap of the jaws onto son's hands. I'm v concerned and would appreciate advice.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Growling working cocker
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:35:48 PM »
We could all offer advice and what has (or hasn't) worked for us and our dogs but tbh you would be best served to find a reward based behaviourist in your area and ask them to come in and observe your dog with your son.

It may be as simple as your son is just too loud for him but without seeing the dynamics in the house that would be speculation.

It may also be worth taking your dog to the Vet for a health check - sometimes this sort of behaviour is the only way they can tell us something isnt right.

Hope the situation is resolved soon
Jayne

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:55:39 PM »
Hi. You have a situation that is very difficult to deal with on a forum. It may be that your son has inadvertently done something to upset and frighten your dog. It is fear that makes most dogs bite.
A positive behaviourist would be able to find out what triggers the behaviour and put a plan in place.
It's very important that you don't let the dog practice the behaviour as it becomes more ingrained, so try to avoid your son and dog getting in to any situation that might trigger an aggressive response.
You will probably need a vet referral to a behaviourist.
Good luck. I hope you can sort it.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline hoover

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 11:00:39 PM »
I think some dogs can almost become comtemptuous of people who fawn over them and equate it to the submissive behaviour of dogs who they consider are inferior to them.  To them this gives them more license to snap and 'tell off', and when you couple this with the loud and unpredictable, sudden movements that your middle son is perhaps displaying to the dog and which the dog may find disturbing it may be a bit of a recipe for problems.

I would say get your son to engage in training sessions with the dog to establish a better balanced bond between them and try to encourage him to act more calmly and authoritatively around him, waiting for the dog to come to him rather than going to the dog.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 09:36:13 AM »
What Hoover has said is a good point (not saying it applies in your case as we can only go on the way you've described it, but it's a possibility). Dogs do need some sort of boundaries so they know where they are - its a bit like the child who is constantly pandered to, given everything it wants and is the always centre of attention, 9 times out of 10 it will become a "nasty little brat"  with no respect for its elders.
I would agree that a behaviourist would be the best course of action however, you can't really cure it until you know the cause. Best of luck!

Offline daw

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »
Yup! Get a good behaviourist to help your son and your working cocker adjust their relationship. Dogs misinterpret the signals even well-intentioned humans give out. And we do the same with them. If he's snapped, he's being defensive not aggressive. It's such a pity because your son obviously loves him...and sad that dogs don't always recognise love.  :-\

Offline pippac

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 09:46:32 PM »
Hello

The advice already given that your dog is acting out of fear not aggression sounds spot on - your son may have unintentionally scared or hurt your dog in the past - your dog is using these unwanted signals to tell your son he is scared and not happy about being approached.  It may be helpful to note if even before he growls or snaps does he do lots of lip licking, turning his head away etc - all ways dogs tell us they are not comfortable with what is happening.  We had a similar problem with our wc who we also had from a puppy from 8 weeks.  We got in a lovely lady who was trained in behaviour problems only using positive methods.  Her help and advice really worked and I would definitely say it is a good idea to consider as a new pair of eyes may help see what is really going on. 
Best of luck! 

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »
Hi, as has been said already - your dog doesn't sound like he's aggressive.  Rather a bit overwhelmed and uncomfortable with the situation.  I saw this recently and it's really good.  He shows/explains how important it is to offer affection on the dog's terms - when the dog indicates he wants it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wcDXsLGCy0&index=10&list=UU0qxt93i8Rvqf0w2kxsN4UQ
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 11:16:26 PM »
I think you need to encourage positive contact.  Treat based training tricks would be great for both of them.  Somewhere there has been a loss of trust.

One of my dogs also went off one of my offspring when he started smoking things. So did I. .....
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.