Author Topic: Sheep worrying desperate for help  (Read 1143 times)

Offline BuryFCA1

Sheep worrying desperate for help
« on: July 17, 2016, 08:33:20 PM »
Our 18 month old golden boy has chased a poor sheep up on the moor today and wouldn't come back on recall. Every time we pass a sheep and he is on the lead I sternly say no and he seems to then not bother and I am always careful when he is off the lead but today I didn't see some sheep hiding in bracken and he gave chase. When recall doesn't work I use a whistle with a bit of cocktail sausage when he returns and the whistle works but today it let me down and he gave chase. I am upset, angry and embarrassed as some strangers saw him chasing the sheep. I have considered an electric collar but my wife doesn't want me to use that. Please advise it is much appreciated. I love my golden boy to bits but I feel so deflated tonight about what happened

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Sheep worrying desperate for help
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 09:05:18 PM »
I believe that it does not matter how well trained our dogs are, if livestock is about then they need to be on a lead. Gemma's recall is 99% but I will not put her into that position. It's instinct after all.
 Mark it down as experience but lead on in future unless you are 100% sure . Remember Mr Farmer will take no notice of your pleading, in his eyes your dog is as good as dead  and we do not want that  :016:

they can be little buggers  ;) but that is why we love them ( spangles not farmers )
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 09:19:46 PM »
As you obviously realise, sheep worrying is a serious thing and could result in a farmer shooting your dog.  :'(

Don't beat yourself up about it, but just make sure that, if there is a chance of sheep being around, he is on the lead.  Sometimes these setbacks happen and you just have to go back to managing his behaviour for the safety of everyone.  ;)

When you are near sheep, rather than saying no, try to distract him and reward him for ignoring the sheep and paying attention to you.  I have alpacas and it took me a year to train Coco to leave them alone.  I stopped allowing her in the field off lead, so she NEVER got the chance of chasing them as it can become self rewarding.  >:( 

I walked her near them on lead, all the time getting her to focus on me and ignore them - I rewarded her all the time for this, gradually getting nearer to them and eventually off lead. It took a long time, but I needed her to be steady around them and now she doesn't bother them.  :luv:  I still do not trust her totally around sheep - I have worked on this too and have often walked through a field with her off lead but with a treat in my hand to keep her paying attention to me.  The other day though, she went to run after one - fortunately she came back when I called her, but it has taught me not to trust her off lead with them.  I am sure you know that awful, heart in the mouth moment!  To be honest, it is not worth the risk of your dog doing damage (or even just frightening) a sheep or the chance of him being shot, so just keep him on the lead.  I would still reward him for ignoring them and focussing on you when they are near though so, eventually, he will find them less exciting than that bit of cocktail sausage in your hand  ;)

PLEASE DO NOT consider a shock collar - not sure exactly how you think this would help, but it could easily make his behaviour worse. 

It is your responsibility to ensure that he does not get the opportunity to chase sheep and so, if you are not 100% confident that the area you are walking is free of sheep, that means on the lead.
Julie and Watson

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 10:18:10 AM »
Good sound advice from Joules.

In North Wales the police have zero tolerance with sheep worrying, so a farmer wouldn't think twice, cant remember the figures but the incidents are plenty.

Better to be safe than sorry.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 01:33:09 PM »
Have to agree that a farmer will just shoot and not bother asking any questions.

Offline lescef

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »
Yes, good advice given. It is so very difficult to keep your eyes peeled as the odd sheep can often be lurking in the undergrowth. My two have chased a sheep too, but fortunately did come back to the whistle. I does still upset me thinking about it, but you can only do your best and you are trying to do something about it -not a collar though!
We have a caravan on a farm and encounter, hens, sheep and cows. I have trained them with really tasty treats and have also used the clicker. Now, they see the animal and look at me for the treat. But I would still never have them off lead.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 03:51:26 PM »
We were walking the Ribble Valley, ( on holiday, loved the Dales) our Rosie firmly on a lead as I wouldnt trust Her, and stopped to talk to another couple with dogs.One of The dogs was off lead but the other on, and the owner said the dog had been fine for years, been taught to ignore sheep, then one day it was as if something had been switched on, across the fell went this dog after any sheep it could find, would not come back.Luckily no damage was done but since that day always on a lead. The one off lead was an old girl, walking was about all She could do now, bless. But I think I would rather my dog on a lead, just in case, would never forgive myself if a sheep died because of my dog.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »
Ever since our first dog, a wee Jack Russell, got in a field and chased a bull, yes really, Inhave always always kept my subsequent dogs, five scotties and three Cockers, on a lead around livestock. The scotties would have chased anything, that's what they were bred for, but even the gentlest of dogs can suddenly revert. Even if there is a fence between us and the livestock, it can spook the sheep and cause miscarriages. The farmers where I live would shoot first and ask questions later, it's not worth the risk. If you've ever seen what pet dogs can do to a sheep you would never forgive yourself, let alone the upset of losing your lovely dog. Either use the lead or avoid the area where the sheep are.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »
I agree with all the above - my labrador is very well trained (ex working Gundog, so very steady and responsive to whistle etc.) but I still put him on lead near livestock - no point in taking chances.  My cocker spaniel is less well trained (failed Gundog!) and also kept on lead around livestock.
Also, please don't use a shock collar. Here in North Wales they are banned, I hope they will soon be banned everywhere.