Author Topic: Food for a very overweight dog  (Read 5228 times)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Re: Food for a very overweight dog
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 03:57:16 PM »
I haven't looked at Lilly's kitchen but are you feeding the amount for the weight he should be & not the weight he is?

12kg is an awful lot of weight to lose - I'd expect it to drop off as soon as you start feeding him a normal diet
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 07:33:57 PM »
Just as an example (and cos we're so proud of her), this is Skye when we adopted her in September 2014:

and this was Skye yesterday when she went back to visit all her aunties at http://www.caninerescue.co.uk/dogs.asp :

She is SO much happier (though admittedly here she looks happier in her fat picture  :dunno: she was a bit worried about going back to the kennels again - well she was in rescue twice.  She will be 14 next June.

Offline CrunchyMand

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 09:52:35 PM »
I've put him on Burns weight control , I don't think he likes it as he didn't eat his breakfast till this afternoon. So I only gave him a little for dinner. I might look at Wainrights with some tinned if it worked for Skye
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 12:18:21 AM »
If he does not like the Burns, would it be a good idea to add something like boiled white fish to it and moisten the Burns with a drop of the juices to add a different flavour? Don't think fish has many calories - but could improve the taste and consistency of the Burns.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 07:30:10 PM »
I'm not promoting Wainwrights.  It just happens to be the dry we feed our dogs.  I just meant less of whatever he's having.

Offline assumpta

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 10:24:39 PM »
Wow!!!! Skye you're a beauty and look like a pup now. Well done to you and your mum  :D

Online MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 10:47:33 PM »
I think what ever food you choose, the important bit is portion control. Either weigh the food (bit of a pain every time) or buy a set of "cup" measures. That way you have a greater control over their intake
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Vixter

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 08:59:06 AM »
I would really recommend electric scales.  There was a programme on tv a little while ago that looked into why dogs are overweight and they compared food in a measuring cup to food weighed on scales and found that owners were often over feeding by 10% in cups as it's not very accurate.  I was quite surprised as I had always used a measuring cup before this so switched to scales.
  They also found that a common theme was also other family members/ friends over feeding or giving treats, so it's really important everyone is on board.  My poor girl is on a diet after a stay with my parents, turns out they felt sorry for her when they were eating as she looked hungry so she got a bonio every mealtime  >:(
Also caught friends feeding her chips when we went out for lunch the other day, as she was working her "sad face" routine  >:D seriously...... Never underestimate how pathetic a cocker can look to people when their is the possibility of a treat ... :005:

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 05:36:06 PM »
When Frankie was ill last year we put all 3 on Natures Menu frozen in the tubs.  By the end of the year louis and Alfie were way over weight, louis was like a tank and Alfie who has always had a much smaller frame had a tiny head and a huge body, they were both struggling. We changed to Natures Menu raw nuggets and put them on the country hunter range and their weight came down quickly, they love the food, their coats are better, they seem much healthier and Alfie actually barks to tell us he wants his food, he was a rescue and has never done this with any food we have tried him on. he also has stomach issues and this food has really helped as its grain and gluten free.  They do the normal raw nuggets in beef, lamb, tripe and chicken for dogs that dont have tummy issues.

Offline CrunchyMand

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 10:38:48 AM »
His weight had gone down by 1 1/2 kilos when we last went to the vets, he is due to be weighed at the groomers next week and if he hasn't lost much I will be reducing his food rations even more. He is on Hill's Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution, its very expensive  and his skin is very flaky on it, that's the only thing, I wish I could give him normal food. I have thought about tails.com as they have a weight loss food. I do weigh his food religiously, I don't use the cup for a measurement. I will keep you updated.
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline Toofast

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 01:15:07 PM »
I am a raw feeder, I absolutely agree with the suggestion by "deano"

When Frankie was ill last year we put all 3 on Natures Menu frozen in the tubs.  By the end of the year louis and Alfie were way over weight, louis was like a tank and Alfie who has always had a much smaller frame had a tiny head and a huge body, they were both struggling. We changed to Natures Menu raw nuggets and put them on the country hunter range and their weight came down quickly, they love the food, their coats are better, they seem much healthier and Alfie actually barks to tell us he wants his food, he was a rescue and has never done this with any food we have tried him on. he also has stomach issues and this food has really helped as its grain and gluten free.  They do the normal raw nuggets in beef, lamb, tripe and chicken for dogs that dont have tummy issues.

Natures Menu is a good product, stick to the "Country Ranger" range as it is grain free and best!
It can't do any harm to try and it is very easy to change over, I am sure it will help you both !