Author Topic: furminator  (Read 1072 times)

Offline lilliegez

furminator
« on: January 28, 2015, 07:01:18 PM »
hi can anyone tell me if a furminator will get rid of fluffy fur on my working cocker.  she has gone fluffy since being spayed.    any tips or advice thanks.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: furminator
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 07:50:01 PM »
I used a furminator on my spayed girls and 'thought' it was the answer to my prayers.  It certainly got rid of LOADS of hair very quickly.  Perfect I thought.  However, when their coats began to grow, the new regrowth was a terrible mess, sticking out at all angles, spiralling and not laying flat.  I decided NEVER to use one again.  Since then I have just used a comb and rubber band interwoven through the tines to remove the dead coat on their backs and sides.  I use a coat king on their tummies and on their chest.  It has taken a LONG time to get their coats back to  pre-furminator condition  >:(  My solid black girl has a much heavier coat than her blue roan sister and always seems to be shedding hair  >:(  I sometimes feel that whatever I remove one day, grows back again overnight  :o
Try the comb and rubber band method as it does take out the dull dead hair.
Someone else make say they like the furminator but for me it was a terrible mistake  ;)
If you type in furminator in the search box in the grooming section you will be able to read other discussions about it.  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
thanks do you use a particular comb also do I just comb as normal using this.  thanks

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:14:53 PM »
thanks do you use a particular comb also do I just comb as normal using this.  thanks

I use a wide tooth metal comb (it would be really difficult to thread a rubber band through the teeth of a fine comb  ;) ) and a thick rubber band (courtesy of the postman  :005:) and just comb as usual.  The rubber band really helps to get the dead fluffy hair out.  :D

This is what my comb looks like

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline fionad

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:59:16 PM »
I agree. I used a furminator on our border collie. It removed loads of fur but damaged the growing coat.

The wide tooth comb looks a good idea.