Author Topic: It's true what they say about letting sleeping dogs lie.....  (Read 791 times)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
It's true what they say about letting sleeping dogs lie.....
« on: January 30, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »
I had a rather odd incident two nights ago that reminded how we can take our dogs for granted. We all know that Archie has an aggressive, guarding streak but that is now very well under control. He has been amazing while I have my broken wrist, still sleeping with me in my bed and being gentle and calm and utterly gorgeous.  :luv: However, two nights ago I was woken by him making a really odd sound. It was a sort of sucking, gurgling, lip smacking sort of noise - loud enough to wake me up. I put my hand out to check he was OK and stroke his head. It obviously jolted him partially awake and for a split second he went into full on attack mode, growling and snapping VERY loudly. He didn't make any contact with me thank goodness. It was literally a split second and he went straight back to sleep and snoring. I on the other hand lay awake with a pounding heart for about an hour afterwards! He was his normal cuddly self from then on but a scarey lesson learned. I never stroke him when he is asleep during the day, just in case, so I'm not sure what I was thinking. I must have been half asleep too.  >:(

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: It's true what they say about letting sleeping dogs lie.....
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 02:22:07 PM »
I ha ve always admired your take on Archie :luv:
You understand him, you have put the work in
to help him... it says a lot about you Emma...
many folk would have given up on him and
let him go.
We hope your wrist is healing well and you will
soon be back "harping on" :005:
steffnelliexxx

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »
you must have just startled him from a deep sleep. bless.
 I learnt very early that I do not wake OH up unless life is threatened  :fear2:   if we had to wake one of our old staffs, we used a wooden spoon to gently poke her, mush safer than risking a limb  >:(
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »
As Steff said, you and Archie are a real inspiration I think for anyone struggling with a resource guarding dog - you have worked so hard with him and just 'get' him and what he needs  :luv: .  Glad no harm was done and have everything crossed your wrist is good to go very very soon xxx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 11:13:12 AM »
Sounds like he was dreaming he was eating something utterly delicious, and no wonder he reacted like that when startled.
 Bobby is fabulous  nowadays too, but I always tell people he ha s personal space issues!  He's eight now and doesn't bother with serious guarding.   but let the sleeping dog lie!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.