Author Topic: What did/do you feed your puppy?  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Baileyboy78

• Bailey
What did/do you feed your puppy?
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:18:07 PM »
I have a 9 week old show cocker, Bailey :luv:. I'm currently feeding him nature diet puppy which he loves! ( he's healthy, good poos etc) When he's an adult I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford to feed him this food as he's already eating 3 quarters of a tub now. Is it ok to add a bit of dry food (when he's older) to make it go a bit further? Is Burns a good food? I'm only asking about Burns as I thought it was a good food so I bought some puppy Burns before I brought Bailey home. Since then I've read some bad things about it being nothing but an ' expensive bag of rice' etc. Or what about mixer biscuit? do dogs do well on just dry food? the breeder didn't have him on any particular brand. He fed 'chubs'  :-\ and beta soaked in water, chicken/mince. He didn't give me any food to come home with so I put him straight on nature diet, same as my Shih tzu. He been fine with this, and goat milk but I've stopped the milk now.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: What did/do you feed your puppy?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 09:34:14 PM »
Henry eats Burns and is thriving on it. On wet food he had very gummy eyes in the morning and smelt very 'doggy' and had horrible poos. On the Burns his eyes are clear, he smells sweet and the poos are good! His coat is really glossy and overall he looks in great condition.

Every dog is different in what suits them, but I'd say for us Burns definitely seems like a good food.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 08:45:29 AM »
I'm currently feeding him nature diet puppy which he loves! ( he's healthy, good poos etc) When he's an adult I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford to feed him this food as he's already eating 3 quarters of a tub now. Is it ok to add a bit of dry food (when he's older) to make it go a bit further?

Did you know Naturediet are bringing out a dried food to be fed either with the wet (which I feed mine on) or can be fed alone. If you  contact the Naturediet folks they will send you samples if you buy at least four boxes of the wet atm (I got 4kg of the dried chicken as that is all they are doing as samples, (think they are doing four menus in the dry). If you order boxes of their wet food direct from them it is cheaper by bulk  and comes delivery free to most areas.

I think it is early days yet and roll out is not till September when hopefully there will be more details from themselves, they are also bringing out grain free - no sure if that is dry or wet though
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Baileyboy78

• Bailey
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 10:49:05 PM »
Thank you both. Mudmagnets thanks for the info. I didn't no that. I'm going to look at the naturediet website now. Xx

Offline Neil

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 11:26:57 PM »
I fed Bobby Hill's Science Plan for the first year or so. He trived on it, everyone we met would comment on the condition and the shine of his coat. I tried switching to a few other quality brands, but they all seemed to result in looser poos so kept returning to Hills. Then, following many recommendations here, I tried Millies Wolfhart, and there's been no looking back. Initially he was on their countryside mix, now he's on riverside. For most people it's available by mail order only, but the delivery service is fantastic, and you can choose to have it delivered to a local pickup points if that's more convenient.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 01:05:50 PM »
Thank you both. Mudmagnets thanks for the info. I didn't no that. I'm going to look at the naturediet website now. Xx

There is no info about it on the website yet, can't think why. I found out about the free samples via a posting on their Facebook page and confirmed my email address.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline desthomas

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 07:42:26 AM »
I feed mine raw food, where the percentage is higher when they are a puppy.

I'd check out www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk if you're looking at different foods as the whole food arena can be very subjective and this site looks at the ingredients objectively. [emoji6]

Offline Baileyboy78

• Bailey
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in the raw food feeding but I honestly don't no where to start. I would prefer complete meals but I'm not sure it will work as I don't have much room in the freezer and nowhere to put another freezer. I will have a look on that website. Xx

Offline desthomas

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 07:56:39 AM »
I'd recommend looking at something stocked locally.

Good brands I've come across are:

The Dogs Butcher
Manifold Valley Meats
Landywoods
Nutriment
Natural instinct
Honeys

Things to consider are:

Size of the mince (Nutriment, natural instinct and Honeys are sloppier)
Size of the portions (Dogs butcher completes tend to come in at 1kg which isn't ideal if you're feeding one dog)
Variety of the proteins (you need to be varying proteins to reduce the chance of intolerance, which goes for us too)
Storage (don't put complete raw food in the freezer unless you can put it into its own shelf/drawer due to cross contamination from green tripe)