Author Topic: Eating faeces  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Ninni

Eating faeces
« on: August 27, 2016, 05:16:32 PM »
We have a lovely 9 month old cocker girl who is great in every way apart from that she tends to eat some other dogs, fox and cat poo, which is pretty disgusting.

We have ruled out any medical condition or lack in diet through conversations with the vet. I don't really mind why she does it, I know it can be quite common, but I'd like her to stop! Anyone has any suggestions to make her stop?

It happens when we are out, off the lead in the park, for a walk, on the lead on pavements and in our garden.

Any ideas?

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Eating faeces
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:31:11 PM »
You might be amazed how many dogs do this. Gemma was a poop chomper and probably still would given the chance. We  Started off with a stern "leave" and now  do a sharp "no" if she starts eyeing up a poop.
it is only ghastly to us humans 
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 07:08:52 PM »
Rhodri is coming up to ten months and I did think he'd outgrown this disgusting habit but I caught him in the act this morning!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 07:30:55 PM »
Coco was a nightmare for eating her own and any other sort of poo when she was a pup.   >:D

Usually they will grow out of it, but the only thing that worked was to watch her carefully and when she was about to snaffle a mouthful, say a firm "Uh uh" and distract her with a tasty treat.  Eventually she did grow out of it, but it is a truly revolting habit :020:  She will still eat cat poop when she finds it though.  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 08:07:43 PM »
My girls seldom eat other dogs' poo but they are very partial to other types, mainly horse or rabbit, but the horse poo has to be a certain vintage  ;)  not fresh, not really old but a few days of maturing in the open air seems to be the favourite  :005:  They don't often eat fox poo as they would much rather anoint themselves in that  >:D  rolling ecstatically in this delicacy to maximise the benefit >:D
The one I find the most disgusting is human poo.  We recently had a group of travellers camping illegally close to us and they used the woods as their toilet.  It was awful and even after they were evicted, I had to keep the girls on the lead to stop them going in for 'snacks'
I remember my mum telling the story of when I was little and had just 'performed' on my potty.  Mum went out of the room and when she returned the potty was empty   :o.  The only ones in the room being me and a rather smug Scottie licking her lips  :005: 
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 08:47:01 PM »
Rosies favourite is definately horse poo, closely followed by sheep, then rabbit and for a bit of varied diet seaweed and shells. We have to watch Her all the time and I think She thinks Her second name is Leave.When We first brought Her home She ate Her own poo but fortunately We sorted that habit fairly early on.I did read somewhere that although We find this poo eating disgusting for dogs it is normal and some poo , such as horse, is full of natural fibre. Winds me up when I spend a fortune trying to find a 'proper' food that She likes and doesn't upset Her tum.OH thinks I should just collect horse poo, dry it and mix it with kibble then She might eat it............

Offline Bootz482

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 11:11:48 PM »
Zak likes to eat duck poo when we're at the park. Although he's only 3 and half months i tend to say a stern "ah ah" when he's on the lead and pull him away from it before he gobbles it up,sadly I'm not always quick enough though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 09:12:42 AM »
Mine will still do this from time to time - often its just because they want to (just like Stella have a lovely roll in something yesterday)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 09:27:18 AM »
Dexter if he has the chance will eat cat poo but if it is Fox poo then he just likes to roll on it  >:(

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 09:45:45 AM »
Monty adores bird/duck/goose poo, we have a lot around the garden as we're surrounded by a ton of trees and also in our local country park where said geese/ducks originate from.  The first few times I let him off-lead in the park, all he done was hoover the poo up  :020:  However, this has improved massively recently, he prefers to bound around and only snacks on the odd "treat" now  :lol2:  He'll still lick the paving stones if he spots a splat there though  ph34r
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
Hattie now 8 still eats dog poo, I have done everything I can think off to stop it, except a muzzle( believe me I have been Tempted.). Over the years I have kind of relaxed more about it, as just think it's not killed her yet, but wish she would not do it.  I do worry more over her scavenging for thrown food as you never no what it is.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 08:17:51 PM »
Not poo...but..We live in Cornwall, very busy just now and Rosie has discovered ice cream and fish and chips...off the floor will do nicely thank you, but people sitting or small children  eating either .in fact anything within reach is fair game. We can no longer go for a walk and have an ice cream as She is a nightmare.The last time She just sat and waited, just like She would for a reward and completely refused to move until She had some cone and ice cream ( did someone say Cockers are stupid!) Out with friends today Stopped for coffee, well Cocker heaven, floor covered in ice cream and chips .....
We were walking along a lovely wide dog friendly path and a lady coming the other way had a cocker on a lead.Stopped for the dogs to say hello and asked why Her dog was on a lead, thinking there might be a problem further on, no, dog eats EVERYTHING , they only way to control it was to keep on a lead.Will She grow out of it I ask , not sure says the lady, She 10......... Aaaagh

Offline lisws

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 04:49:32 AM »
Hi i am new to this site and came across your post, I have a 4month old cockapoo called hugo.  He ate all sorts of poo and still does from time to time. We started saying "leave it" just as he was about to sniff it and as soon as he looked up we would give him a high value treat such as chicken. We constantly did this everytime he sniffed poo and also other things and after a week or so he would leave things pretty much most of the time and eased the treating down but still treat him if i have some to hand. The trick is having a high value treat ready in your hand in case she eats something you don't want her to eat and timing the leave it as they sniff it. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 05:47:28 PM »
We live on the welsh coast and regularly walk on the beach, where bailey, aka ba ba no, likes to roll in dead seals washed up on the beach and ella our ten year old cocker likes to bite lumps off the carcass. >:(
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 07:36:40 PM »
They grow out of eating dog poo, the other animal poo's will often be on the menu
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly