Author Topic: Nice walking  (Read 431 times)

Offline Ambler54

Nice walking
« on: December 19, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »
Well our 'nice ' walking is greatly improved, wind the lead in so Rosie is walking next to me, keep up the praise and the odd treat and I have a dog under control....until a squirrel shot out from a bush right by us.Just too much for Rosie, the result , Me with a sore neck and shoulder( actually in agony) and physio booked for Thursday.Think it is too much to expect a spaniel to ignore a squirrel that runs right across your path...but If anyone has any ideas all suggestions welcomed.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Nice walking
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 10:56:03 AM »
I'm working on desensitising Henry to the sight of squirrels. When he spots one but it's still some distance away I get him to look at me and give him a treat when he turns towards me. The idea is that eventually he will see a squirrel as a cue for being calm, looking at me and getting a treat! It's still a work in progress but he's getting there. Very close squirrels are still too exciting and things darting out are very hard not to react to. I do lots of 'watching walking' with lower distractions (passing dogs, birds on the ground being boring) to really reinforce 'look at me' as the behaviour to offer when I need it. We had a rat scurry across our path the other day and Henry looked back at me instead of giving chase. It will be much longer before he can do that with squirrels but I'm hopeful.

Hope the sore shoulder gets better soon!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Ambler54

Re: Nice walking
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »
Thank you Londongirl,
Should of thought of trying that as it has worked with bikes, Rosie completely ignores them but comes to me for a treat.Will try with small furry things in the distance, not sure it will work if the little blighter runs out almost under Rosies nose.