Author Topic: Recall training - starting over again AGAIN.  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Ernies mum

Re: Recall training - starting over again AGAIN.
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2016, 07:25:47 AM »
Have you thought about finding a good gun dog trainer & having a few sessions ? I've seen lots of posts on here where people have found this very useful - I'm just thinking that Henry seems to have a love of chasing squirrels & they could help you both with that . Sometimes using a trainer can give you different things to try that make all the difference  ;)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2016, 08:32:47 AM »
Have you thought about finding a good gun dog trainer & having a few sessions ? I've seen lots of posts on here where people have found this very useful - I'm just thinking that Henry seems to have a love of chasing squirrels & they could help you both with that . Sometimes using a trainer can give you different things to try that make all the difference  ;)

I have thought about using a trainer. I'm not sure how many gun dog trainers there are in the wilds of South East London. Definitely worth considering, though, if we don't crack this soon.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2016, 09:45:31 AM »
The desensitization method which you described doing, sounds the way to go as regards the squirrels and I reckon, if you keep that up you'll get there. The only problem I have with some trainers, including the one we have now, is that they fail to realize that different breeds pose different challenges. Our trainer is a nice guy but after over six months of trying to make him realize that getting Humphrey's undivided attention is not as easy as it is with his Australian Shepherd, he must have come across an  article in a doggy magazine last week and announced on Saturday, "I read this week that cockers are apparantly not quite as easy to train as other dogs because they always have their noses to the ground!" EUREKA!! Think he's finally cottoned on!!!!!😂

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2016, 11:43:43 AM »
That's exactly the reason I've shied away from getting a trainer so far. There are plenty around here, but they are very general pet trainers and I don't want to spend time and money with someone who doesn't get the Spaniel mindset.

We had some good moments this morning, calling him back from birds sitting on the ground and dogs he wanted to play with. But some mad whirling dervish moments too where I think if I'd let him go he'd have been off like a rocket. Last burst of puppydom, maybe. He's 16 months old today.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2016, 02:02:03 PM »
Well going on the "7 dog years = 1 human year " theory, that would put Henry at about 15/16 ??........... What more needs to be said?  :005: :005:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2016, 03:16:27 PM »
Well going on the "7 dog years = 1 human year " theory, that would put Henry at about 15/16 ??........... What more needs to be said?  :005: :005:

I also own a human 16 year-old male... is it too early for wine?