Author Topic: Little Poppy update  (Read 909 times)

Offline Maggiesfriend

Little Poppy update
« on: September 10, 2016, 08:45:25 AM »

Well, its 8 months since Poppy (Watcha) arrived here, and she has developed into a (mostly) very happy little girl.  Sadly, a happy girl, but with problems.  As long as everything in her day is as she expects it to be, all is well.  However as others with these shut down dogs know, any little thing is likely to turn her into a confused mess.  As long as I am here, she clings to me and all is well quite quickly - and I love her!  My husband also loves her, but she doesn't seem to be able to completely trust him.  Some man in her past may have caused this  >:(
She is pretty much integrated into our home life, her eye is amazing she has had two visits to the hairdresser and looks stunning.  Black, shiny, slinky, coat.  She has a new very soft harness which I put on her occasionally for her to get used to the feel.  (she promptly runs to her bed and sleeps in it, 'till I take it off- I did try feeding her in it, but she actually refused food!!)  So going for a little walk is still months away.  Such a pity, as she had sooo much energy and bounce.  If anyone has any ideas as to how to fill her mind I would be so happy to learn.  She doesn't understand toys, unless they involve food, but too much of that upsets her tummy!  Her only hobby is collecting my socks!!   Still no photos Im afraid, I cant produce anything on my 'phone except a black blob.  Have asked for a camera for Xmas.....

There is nothing so joyful as a happy dog

Offline AlanT

Re: Little Poppy update
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »
As usual I'd suggest scent-training. Scent work is very deeply in a Cockers nature and will fill a big gap if you can get it going.

I used little bits of liver-cake or biscuit to mark a trail across my patio. I left the treat at the end of it. Short trails at first, then longer. Then less frequent marking.

In a few weeks I found by accident really that it made NO DIFFERENCE if I marked the trail or not.
He just followed my feet.

Now I can walk to the middle of my garden, throw a ball into a flower-bed and when I release the dog, he will just find it. It's amazing and eerie to watch. Criss-crossing my footsteps with his nose down, then the moment when the actual ball smell is detected and the rush to it.

You can easily start doing his in the house. Of course you will need to leave the dog in a room alone for a few minutes while you do it. This may help reduce separation anxiety. Being alone will become associated with a rewarding game.

Even though I've done most of the walking and training, my dog much prefers to sit with my wife. Forming a special bond with one person seems to be a Cocker trait.

Also the desire to repeat a daily routine seems very Cockerish. Mine has many "rituals" to follow. They have excellent memory and seem to seek comfort by repeating past actions.

So provide a number of such tasks and go through them very day. We start of by shredding the junk mail.
There is a pile of old bank-statements and such next to the bed. Every day one must be reduced to unreadability.

Then it's breakfast!

Wonderful thing to take on one of these dogs. I've met one whilst walking and seen the problems.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 11:59:10 AM »
Routine seems to important to them all, Daisy is a rescue but not an ex-breeder, and she definitely likes her routine.  Our ex-breeder Lara, was never as comfortable with hubby as she was with me.  I think she has come on really well in the time you have had her.  Walks are one of those things, they either love them first off, or it takes a good while.  I like the idea of scent training in the garden, that sounds fun for them both.  As for piccies, well black dogs are a nightmare to photograph, so good luck with that!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 02:16:12 PM »
Ollie was a rescue and even now at 8 - he still does not like men, while he adores his master and see him as his large play mate and protector of Ollie and me, anyone else it's a no.  He is so cautious of them. Agree something from his youth, so sad that these lovely little dogs carry a burden.  I am sure small step and time will help.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline revis

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 02:29:16 PM »
Maggie took nearly 2years to get used to my husband with lots of treats. She is now an old lady 13years. Jessie has been with me for 3half years. Still very frightened of everything. Sometimes will not come to me. She actually went for a 10 mins walk with Maggie today the first walk in months. She just freezes when I try ang get her out. These awful people at puppy farms.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 04:53:04 PM »
I think we need more honest ordinary people to have the odd litter.

I know all about genetic testing etc It can't be worse than the farms.

BUT

Puppy farms exist because the "posh" breeders don't fill the demand.

Offline Maggiesfriend

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »
Thanks so much for taking the trouble to reply.   I have to admit the scent thing has already proved a winner.  When she first arrived getting her into the garden was a problem, even the wind frightened her. So, trails and rewards did the job.  Unfortunately she is terrified of balls of any size. I may use my socks, they seem to be favourite
My 12 year old Maggie is my girl.  She loves my husband but I am hers.  It was incredible how she let Poppy share me!!  In fact Maggie really does give her a lot of confidence.  I would most certainly take them both on a little excursion into the fields.
I think slowly, slowly catchey monkey is the order of the day and it has to be her decision.
Its very difficult remembering that something so happy, batty and bouncy is so damaged.
I have had Bloodhounds in the past who have suffered the same indignities and we have won through in the end, so all is still to play for.
There is nothing so joyful as a happy dog

Offline AlanT

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 07:05:42 PM »
Ball play is a huge part of my dogs life. Seems a shame to miss out on this.

I'd try rolling up balls of paper around a treat. The scent kicks in and they tear them open.
Then you toss 'em about a bit.

Then perhaps the stitched very soft kiddies balls.

We used childrens toys from charity shops for all our puppy play.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 07:24:12 PM »
Thank you so much for the update, it gives us all hope for the poor ex breeding dogs which there seems to be to many of. Alan is right with the ordinary people having the odd little but I am afraid that with all the money available for a puppy it will keep on going. If laws are passed things will go underground and then even worse things will happen to these dogs.

Well done to you for your love and dedication and after some time you will be rewarded with a loving loyal friend who will always be a joy to have with you.