Author Topic: another terrible walk , please help  (Read 1758 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
another terrible walk , please help
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »
Pepper once more pinched a ball , ran off and refused to return it until i had walked away. he then hid it and we returned and found it . by then a very angry man had left the field. On his own Pepper is very good at fetch and leave it. We have been to training and worked really hard. he is not aggressive and highly sociable , this is his biggest and most embarasing issue. i don't want to keep him on the lead but am very embarased and feel a terrible dog owner. Please help.

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
Re: another terrible walk , please help
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:11:54 PM »
Could you take a ball with you and exchange it (ie when he pinches a ball you through 'his ball'...would he maybe drop the pinched ball and go after the thrown ball)  :blink:

Offline montydavies

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 06:04:27 PM »
Or you could give the irate owner the spare ball!!  I have no real advice other than to say that Monty went through a stage of being really naughty on walks, although he has never shown any interest in balls, it was birds he would tear off after. I can well remember the frustration and embarassment at having a dog which seems out of control (and Monty was at times). I was just consistent with him and kept up the training, and one day I realised that it had been ages since he had dashed off, and that he was listening to me and coming back even if the distraction was very tempting. So  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for now and persevere.

Offline Dozy bird

• My beautiful babies
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »
Sorry I don't have an answer but wanted to say you're not alone, Roxy did this recently at well know local nature reserve, she wouldn't give the ball back, the annoying bit is that she doesn't play with a ball at home  >:D

Hope someone can offer you advice soon x  

Offline dianna1

• http://picasaweb.google.com/sosNron
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »
The man most likely got angry because he wasn't in control and obviously not an understanding dog owner.  Don't worry about such ignorant people.    Dogs are unpredictable  and we all know they will show you up and behave as they want at times.  
I hope you meet some more understanding doggy walking friends.

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 06:19:53 PM »
Thanks for the understanding. i have tried taking a ball but Pepper is only interested in the one everyone is trying to get off him. some owners walk on and it is not a problem as he will hide it and come back to me as soon as everyone has gone! I have offered a replcemanet ball to people and even money but it is still embarrassing!I will try again with taking a ball and ,aye some high value treats . Thanks anyway, any other suggestions welcome!

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 07:56:11 PM »
A hungry dog will often swop for a nice warm piece of chicken  ;) 
Ben is just a star with his recall now, but Harry has his moments and like you its always when there is someone who is not very understanding around!  I make sure before Harry's main walk where I know he will be off lead he has nothing to eat before he goes - even if it means he is starving by the time we get out of the car.  I carry high value treats eg chicken, sardine or tuna bake etc and make sure he knows I have them.   We have worked on his reliable recall and it is pretty good, but occasionally he does get distracted.  I have tried to be 'very very' exciting to get Harrys attention, and sometime do unexpected things like (weather permitting) sit down on the floor and he usually comes running over to see what I am doing. I have stopped worrying about how others see me and use a very jolly and high voice  ph34r or take a squeaky toy, I know it sounds silly, but once I have his attention then he will come and drop whatever he has got.   

You just have to get used to funny looks from other walkers  ph34r

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »
Cassie has done this loads of times but she doesn't hide the ball just won't give it up. I suppose we are lucky in that when it has happened the person has either laughed it of or said it doesn't really matter!'
 He must be a right misery !!!!
Cass will give up a ball if I have another to tempt her with. You could try taking another in your pocket. At the end of the day it's only a ball not the crown jewels Don't be embarrassed...........laugh it off with a big apology and a replacement.!!
Go Pepper !!!!

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 08:22:33 PM »
I have been on both sides of this situation  :-\  Coco has more or less grown out of it but she will still nick a ball if she sees a chance to swap it for a tasty treat.  ph34r  She has also done far worse.   ph34r  I just give my ball to the other owner if they don't want to wait for me to get it off her - most dog owners are fine about it.  This guy sounds a bit uptight to me so I really would not worry about it  ;)  If he gets so angry about something like that, I dread to think what he is like to live with :dunno:

To be honest, if that really is Pepper's worst "issue", you really have very little to worry about  ;)  You can just carry on training him to swap his treasures for a high value treat or toy - he will get there eventually but there is no point you stressing about it as it will just make him more wound up too  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Sarah/G

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »
Try to find what makes Pepper tick, it could be anything, some dogs like a ball, frisbee, food.
I know a dog that loves a particular cuddly toy and will do anything for it, it's high value to him.
luckily Brodie is a foody, but with ball dogs 2 balls is the key.
I have seen an article that works fab to toy motivate a dog, I can try and find it for you if you would like me too.  :D
Sarah & Brodie.

www.whatthewoof.co.uk       "Now live"

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 09:58:45 PM »
You have my sympathies. This is a problem with Archie and I too have come across people who have been less than civil. I try to put him on the lead before he sees a ball but it isn't always possible. He also knows what a ball thrower is for and homes in on them. I often call out and ask people not to throw a ball until I have him on the lead but they always seem to think its fun to throw it for him and then get annoyed when I can't get it back.  >:D I take another ball with me too. No food or toy is higher value than a stolen ball so I have to totally ignore him. I always quietly explain to other owners that I'm not ignoring the fact he has their ball, I'm just not letting Archie know I'm interested. I find that if I give them the spare ball to throw for their dog in as excited a way possible he will often drop his prize and run after the other one while I retrieve and return the original. It's frustrating because he will fetch beautifully in the house but not out on a walk. He will run rings around me while I try to get it back. Now I take two balls so he gets to chase and run off some energy but he won't drop one until he sees me ready with the second. It's not ideal, but it does keep him focused on me and we can practise his drop command.
I'm so relieved to read this thread and find that it's not uncommon. Phew!

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 10:04:50 PM »
I have the same problem and the more she knows I want it the worse she is. I take two balls too but she is too clever and knows it's a trick  >:D

Offline praia

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 03:19:14 AM »
If you're having trouble controlling your dog then keep it on a long line while you proof recall and leave commands.  If your dog hasn't proofed recall around distractions it really shouldn't be off the lead in the first place.  Exchanging is okay for teaching to give items, but the real issue is that your dog is running off after things he has no business with in the first place.  Train and proof for recall around heavy distraction using a long line as a way to maintain control. 

I get pretty annoyed as well when some strange dog steals a ball from me and my dogs.  My main irritation really isn't the fact that the ball was stolen. Balls are easily replaced.  What gets me upset is that the good game I had with my well-trained dogs was ruined by some out of control dog.

Offline debbiedaywalker

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 07:06:47 AM »
The long line is a good idea  ;) try not to worry about grumpy dog owners, most of us understand and realise that you are training and working with your dog and he will make occasional mistakes

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »
Pepper is more than welcome to come pinch our ball anytime  :D

Praia: take more than one ball with you! Job done  :shades: