Author Topic: 8yo golden male free to good home ;)  (Read 1131 times)

Offline JamiesGirl

8yo golden male free to good home ;)
« on: March 22, 2014, 10:04:59 AM »
Anybody interested? ;) of course I'm joking but Jamie hasn't half been naughty!
I thought I would treat him to a trip to his favourite place - pets at home - to restock on treats and yummy things. We met a little cavalier who Jamie said hello to nicely before we went down different aisles, we met up again at the checkouts where I thought nothing of letting the dogs say hi again. Jamie went from behind me to in front of me at lightening speed and bit the poor cav right on his nose. Luckily it didn't puncture and I hope the cav isn't too traumatised by it. I've been asked by the staff to have him in a muzzle next time he comes. Which he will be! I was so angry at Jamie who just looked at me like he'd done nothing at all. But he has been forgiven and given a pig ear this morning. He took it to his bed which is next to the tv stand which has OH's Xbox on. So when he goes to turn it on... Growl growl growl. OH just ignores him and everything was fine. They say bad things come in 3 so now I'm waiting for the next and last one!
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline lescef

Re: 8yo golden male free to good home ;)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:59:52 AM »
Naughty Jamie!  >:( Obviously having a bad day (or two)
Seriously though, I do wish I could understand more of why this sort of thing happens. Maddie has started doing similar things and it means you have to be on your guard constantly as you never know how she might react. At least with Bramble I know to give a wide berth!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 12:05:56 PM »
Just a thought - could he have been guarding the till area?  If your PAH is anything like mine, they get a treat everytime they are at the till and that's all Maggie concentrates on when we're queuing - as a result she's a bit grumpy with any dogs that come up to her, doesn't bite but does tell them to bog off with a low grumble.
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 12:31:09 PM »
I feel for  you , I would feel awful and exasperated as you have said Jamie is like this a lot, every day you said you have to apologise to someone.
Poor cavalier :( Good idea to have him muzzled since this isnt just a one off.

Could you maybe not get some training/behaviourist help with him ? has he always been like this?

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 12:40:13 PM »
Poor you. I agree with MaggieR. It could have been the treats at the till or maybe even your purse/bag. I had Jade here the other day and I was doing a little (if flights to Oz are little ;)) Internet shopping on the iPad. I put my purse down on the sofa beside me, next to Archie. Jade walked past and he lunged and growled and grabbed the purse!! I hadn't even considered it would be an issue - lesson learned. It was easily resolved but it does go to show that this kind of unpredictable behaviour can be very tricky to pre-empt sometimes. Archie will also guard my bag from other dogs if I put it down and I know this isn't uncommon.
I very rarely take Archie into PAH with me. I tried a couple of times but he seemed quite worried in there. Tail down, ears down, no wagging, looking at me for reassurance. In my case, I think that because I was anxious and looking for possible danger situations, I wasn't helping him.  In the end I decided the treat would be what I buy, not the visit to the shop.
Hope Jamie enjoyed his pigs ear. I'm sure he is very very sorry and won't do it again.  :luv:

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »
Just a thought - could he have been guarding the till area?  If your PAH is anything like mine, they get a treat everytime they are at the till and that's all Maggie concentrates on when we're queuing - as a result she's a bit grumpy with any dogs that come up to her, doesn't bite but does tell them to bog off with a low grumble.

I think your right, he was pulling towards the checkouts the whole time and has always got a biccy there in the past. Either that or he was guarding me or the pig ears I'd just put in the basket.

I feel for  you , I would feel awful and exasperated as you have said Jamie is like this a lot, every day you said you have to apologise to someone.
Poor cavalier :( Good idea to have him muzzled since this isnt just a one off.

Could you maybe not get some training/behaviourist help with him ? has he always been like this?

He's gotten worse in the past few weeks. He does seem to have his bad spells but then goes back to being an angel! Yes it feels like I'm always apologising at the moment! I don't have the money to get a behaviourist to come and see him but I've had a look at some interesting articles and now have a few more training tricks up my sleeve! I think the main problem is that he gets really well behaved and then I relax more and spoil him, then he gets bad again because he is a spoilt little sir! He's always had minor issues but I think when I spoil him they get worse, it's definitely me!
Just wish I could spoil him and he would be well behaved!
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline linda c

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 02:09:04 PM »
His behaviour may be getting worse because he's getting away with a lot. Just go into some basic training again with rewards and he'll hopefully settle back down.

Because he's a fairly dominant dog he may always take that bit of extra work to keep his behaviour at an acceptable level. It could have been the fact he gets a treat at the counter that made him have a go at the cav, it's hard to understand sometimes how their brains work but most problems are sorted out with patience and his case it may not be the fact that you spoil him too much causing his behaviour.

He may always need you to be aware of his occasional naughtiness and assume he may not be friendly with any dog he meets. Why he's ok one minute and very naughty the next will be an ongoing thing with Jamie, at 8 years old it can still be kept under control but you may never be able to trust him fully so always expect the unexpected!!!

It's that lovely look he gives you after he's been naughty  :angel: Then you think why does he behave like a little hooligan  >:D

He's certainly a challenge for you at times but I'm sure you'll sort things out.  :blink:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »
I don't think I would risk taking Minstrel in PAH ...or any other pet food shop for that matter. He is basically a well behaved little fella, but at 9 months I think the temptations in shops like that would be just too much for him to ignore :shades:

Think I prefer to do my shopping on my own, so I can focus on it fully  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 05:08:38 PM »
Gemma is tempermental when it comes to other dogs. some she will tolerate and others get a snap on the conk.

Am willing to swop a 54 year year old house trained (loves cleaning and washing up) male if you want, he will want muzzling though if you walk him past a pub
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 06:18:25 PM »
Gemma is tempermental when it comes to other dogs. some she will tolerate and others get a snap on the conk.

Am willing to swop a 54 year year old house trained (loves cleaning and washing up) male if you want, he will want muzzling though if you walk him past a pub

:005:  :005: haha thanks for the offer but think I will stick with Jamie after all  :005:
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 08:53:18 PM »
I took Teal in once they had a large plastic rabbit pen, I go alone now  ;)   
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly