Author Topic: Ex Breeding Dog  (Read 1788 times)

Offline theshrew

Ex Breeding Dog
« on: June 08, 2020, 10:23:31 PM »
I've only had pups before but im thinking of getting and ex breeding dog.

Im guessing its probably going to be a slow process in some cases but that depends on the dog i guess.

Just wondered what its like from peoples experiences really.

Thanks

Offline Millbean

• Site Member
Re: Ex Breeding Dog
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 04:04:23 PM »
I have just adopted an ex breeding golden show cocker from Many Tears.  We have had her about seven weeks.  She is five year's old from Ireland and has had eye operations whilst with Many Tears. She is terrified of humans but is getting slowly better.  Honey is a lovely, sweet little dog and I know she will become less fearful over the next few months. 

It is absolutely essential that these dogs are homed with another dog already in the house.   I never really understood why, but I do now.   She is very dependent on our other cocker and needs to be near other dogs at all times.  This is a big consideration as it depends on the temperament of the other dog.  We have been really lucky as Benny has accepted her.

All I can say is that I wish I had adopted an ex breeding dog years ago.  To see her running around and jumping on the furniture makes us so happy.  She has just started taking treats and chicken from our hands.  There are two golden cockers (just like Honey) on the Many Tears website today and I would love to have another. 

One of the best decisions we have ever made.

If you want to ask any questions you can PM me.

Jacky

Bertie  12.9.2007 - 4.11.2016

Offline theshrew

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 11:28:35 AM »
Ok thanks for the reply.

That’s pretty much what I was expecting tbh so good news.

Thanks again

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 02:36:29 PM »
Can only agree with the earlier post.  When we had our two boys we adopted an exbreeder from Many Tears.  Skittish and easy spooked at first, with time and space she learnt to be an individual, with likes and dislikes.  She was a happy wee soul.  Max never really took to her, he tolerated her.  Bertie and her were pals.  She followed them everywhere and liked to walk in between them when out. Lara learnt so much from the boys, and enjoyed caravan holidays a lot.  Her favourite thing was a clean soft bed, she would sigh with contentment when she had clean bedding.  One of the most rewarding things we have done.