Author Topic: Another behaviourist for 'psycho' Vegas  (Read 4382 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Another behaviourist for 'psycho' Vegas
« on: February 27, 2007, 07:38:09 AM »
Some of you may remember we saw someone regarding Vegas' behaviour towards other dogs last year and we applied some fo her advice which has helped. However the past few weeks his behaviour is becoming increasingly strange. He has started really growling at people if they are wearing hats or have hoods up, he is no longer comfortable around children and on Thursday, we were at work when i went to put his lead on and he went to bite me  :o :o Luckily, having lived with Brook for 12 years, my reflexes are still spot on so i got my arm away in the nick of time  :005:.  This is totally out of character for him so took him to the vets last night for a check up and the only thing that came up on examination was ear mites  ph34r but not severe enough to change his behaviour. I have a number of a COAPE behaviourist who will do house visits so going to give her a ring today and arrange something ASAP. Fingers crossed she can do something to help him  :-\
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Another behaviourist for 'psycho' Vegas
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 07:41:55 AM »
fingers crossed for you and vegas gill  :-*
helen & jarvis x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:28:32 AM »
I assume his eyesight is OK --- our dog trainer suggested once with a cocker we had taken to see him that if their view of the world has become like looking through frosted glass then some objects can become to look weird to them and in some case frightening/threatening
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »
No advice really

I hope the behaviourist manages to get the bottom of Vegas' issues Gill and she can help him and of course you too!!

x
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »

Good luck with the behaviourist Gill, it does seem odd that Vegas behaviour has suddenly changed. Jimmy had a few days recently when he kept getting spooked by men with their hoods up and really barked at them - something he hadn't done for about 3 years. A strange relapse of behaviour that just went away again as quickly as it arrived - who knows what goes on in their heads half the time.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 12:03:03 PM »
who knows what goes on in their heads half the time.

not overly much?  ::)
helen & jarvis x

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 12:21:24 PM »
I do hope you can get some advice that really helps Gill.  I know how difficult it can be and it does impact on life in all sorts of ways. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Vegas.  :-*
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 12:46:13 PM »

Good luck with the behaviourist Gill, it does seem odd that Vegas behaviour has suddenly changed. Jimmy had a few days recently when he kept getting spooked by men with their hoods up and really barked at them - something he hadn't done for about 3 years. A strange relapse of behaviour that just went away again as quickly as it arrived - who knows what goes on in their heads half the time.

I give up with what Wilf gets spooked about sometimes --- he kept barking his head off on a stretch of the taff trail the other day whether there was a dog in sight or not --- either there really are ghosts on that bit of the trail or he's just plain bonkers
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 12:58:31 PM »
Byron also has a problem sometimes with men with their hoods up.  ph34r!!! Men wearing wide-brimmed hats can trigger the same reaction and start him barking too.
I've just always assumed it had something to do with our break-in a year and a half ago - were the burglars wearing hoods or hats?! - but your comments have made me start wondering if it could be something genetic.
Anyway, best of luck with the behaviourist. Let's hope she finds a solution.
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 01:07:14 PM »
Penny, on this occassion I know what set Jimmy's behaviour off - a kite came noisily crashing to the ground giving him a fright. He ran off then once at a safe distance barked indignantly at it, bouncing on all fours. A minute later a tall man walked past with his hood up, so he got barked at too - then for a couple of days it was any man with a hood or hat. It's just so strange the way previously cured behaviour can be so easily triggered again, even after 3 years.

Sorry to take your thread off-track a bit Gill - at least it might make you feel better that Vegas isn't the only daft Cocker on the block. I'll be interested to hear the behaviourist's verdict.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 01:14:54 PM »
Hello I hope you and Vegas resolve the issues quickly. It's amazing how sharp your reflexes become, but not quite as sharp as the dogs teeth.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 02:13:35 PM »
If it was just the barking at people with hoods up, I would probably have just put that down as one of his quirks but because he comes to work with me, I can't really risk him becoming people aggressive so really need to find out what the problem is and nip it in the bud.  The behaviourist had a cancellation for this Saturday afternoon so she will be coming through then
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 03:06:12 PM »
I assume his eyesight is OK --- our dog trainer suggested once with a cocker we had taken to see him that if their view of the world has become like looking through frosted glass then some objects can become to look weird to them and in some case frightening/threatening

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe something is going on with his eyes where he is not seeing things as he used to and it's becoming frightening for him. I would discuss this with the behaviourist and maybe make an appointment with a veterinary opthamologist

Penny, on this occassion I know what set Jimmy's behaviour off - a kite came noisily crashing to the ground giving him a fright. He ran off then once at a safe distance barked indignantly at it, bouncing on all fours. A minute later a tall man walked past with his hood up, so he got barked at too - then for a couple of days it was any man with a hood or hat. It's just so strange the way previously cured behaviour can be so easily triggered again, even after 3 years.

Sorry to take your thread off-track a bit Gill - at least it might make you feel better that Vegas isn't the only daft Cocker on the block. I'll be interested to hear the behaviourist's verdict.

I didn't think that was off track at all, we don't always see or know what kinds of associations our dogs make in their heads about things that happen to them. You were able to see what was happeining and understand the associations Jimmy was making, sometimes we aren't even there, or we miss some subtle cues.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 03:18:48 PM »
Hope this new behaviourist can help Gill.  I'm sure you'll get it sorted  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 04:31:28 PM »
Cripes - hope the behaviourist can come up with something.

I don't know if it's a time of year thing or what but Jasp and Bud are driving me nuts atm. Nothing like this I hasten to add - but they are just so demanding. I don't know if it's because the days are getting longer or what - but at this rate if a kite comes near, they'll find themselves tied to it!! :005:
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional