Author Topic: Charlie is eating our walls  (Read 1780 times)

Offline claire123

• Site Member
  • Muddy pooch
Charlie is eating our walls
« on: November 03, 2006, 06:37:45 PM »

Hi!

Does any1 else's dog eat there plasterboard walls ? charlie has had a thing about our walls since he was about 4 mths, he is now 10 mths old. Me and my other half thought he would grow out of it due to his teething, but as yet he has not  :-\ , and today i came home from work to find not a little scrapping of the platerboard, but a hole you could put your hand in  :'(

Im starting to get really worried as im sure it is not good for him, we try to buy him toys that he can chew as he loooooooovvvvvvves chewing, but most he has bitten of something in a few hours.

We have a kong, and other toys that they can occupy their time with, but im sure he does,nt touch them while we are out.

Does any1 have any ideas how we can stop him eating the walls ? He does'nt do it everyday when we are at work. Is it a sign of seperation anxiety ? or boredom ?

Help!

Claire and Mark and Charlie

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Re: Charlie is eating our walls
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 06:44:26 PM »
Hi

How long is he left for during the day??  You say its not every day - is there a pattern to it??  Can you set up a vidoe camera or web-cam so that you can see when he starts chewing?  do you vary the toys that you leave or the treats within the kong??

Sorry - so many questions - but the answers will make it easier to help - I hope!!!
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 10:22:40 PM »
Jasper used to eat the plaster off one part of the wall in the dining room.  He is now 16 months and I'm pleased to say he stopped, he only did it a few times and made a real mess but don't know what was different on those days to make ot the target!

We move his bed around so that it was never in a nice comfy chew position but can't honestly say why that one bit of wall and the timing. He always had lots of changable toys when I was out and as much exercise as we could fit in.  He still chews occasionally but seems less need these days although having the pup obviously has made a difference as he trains him to do the chewing instead!

Hope that you find the chewing stops soon.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 01:04:59 AM »
Does it only happen when you are out?

I'm wondering about seperation anxiety.  My lab, Sapphi, used to get up to all sorts of things while I was out.  She'd shred papers, boxes of tissues,pulled up rugs, chew door frames etc. I always put it down to her being an adolescent Lab. I'd been told alot that they chew alot and cause untold damage so I didn't think much of it, apart from not being very happy with her.  >:( 
I stopped leaving her in the lounge for fear of what else she may get up to, and started leaving her in the hall. One day I came home and she had pulled up the hall carpet, from under four doorways, and ripped it to shreds. This was a heavy duty hessian backed carpet which was very tough and I couldn't believe how she'd put a 3ft rip in it as well as tearing bits off.  >:(

I was telling our trainer about how naughty she'd been, and she suggested that she was actually having seperation anxiety rather than being naughty.

Alot of the problems came from the fact that I am at home the majority of the time. She was  my first pup and in all honesty I didn't ever do anything but play with her while she was asleep and only did my housework etc when she was asleep, which was totally the wrong thing to do I found out later.  I also stopped using her crate when she was six months old, in hindsight I think that was too young and since then I've kept my pups in it alot longer.

I managed to rectify her seperation anxiety over a couple of months. I used a DAP Defuser, some herbal anxiety drops and activity toys. I had the DAP Defuser on continually, and in the hour before leaving I gave her some of the drops. The activity toys were a stuffed Kong, Buster Cube, other toys with a similar idea to the Kong stuffed with her favourite foods and things like a cardboard box filled with screwed up newspaper with treats hidden amongst the paper and some inside a newspaper parcel. I also limited where she had access to. I had been told that sometimes dogs get stressed if they have the run of the house as some dogs feel that while their owner is out its their responsibility to look after the home, so if they have access to the whole house they will run manically from room to room checking everything is ok and they work themselves up into a frenzy. So limiting them to one room can help, as well as reducing the amount of distruction that can be done.  ;)

I ended up leaving Sapphi in the entrance lobby and I put her crate there partly covered and left the door open so that she could retreat there if she wanted. To begin the door frames were a little bit chewed but within a week or so that stopped. After a couple of months, once she seemed to have settled, we started to leave her in the hall, again with her crate there for if she needed it, and she was fine. Now she's almost three and she's as good as gold and stays in the lounge when we're out.

Keep the kong, buster cube or anything else you find to use only for when you are going out. Sapphi ended up getting so excited about the kong coming that she didn't bat an eyelid at being left as she was so focused on her kong/toy.

Make sure you leave and return with the minimum of fuss. No long goodbyes and saying be a good boy, give him the toys and leave. When you return ignore him until he calms down and stops trying to get your attention. Thats a tough one, I found that particularly hard but it did help.

When you are at home, put some distance between you part of the time, so when you leave the room where he is shut the door so he can't follow you. If he stresses about that start with a minute and work your way up. Make sure you don't go back to him if he's barking or crying, wait for him to stop before returning even if he just pauses to draw breath.
I recently compiled a list of things to give a bored Lab to do for someone at training,alot of them compiled from suggestions on here, some of these might help Charlie.

1.    Rotate his toys. Don’t let him have all of them at once, and swap them around. He’ll think he’s getting new toys and be more interested in them.

2.    Kongs – stuffed and packed in tightly.  Use lite soft cheese or peanut butter, together with bits of his kibble, chunks of cheese, bits of ham.

3.    Kongs – together with kibble and maybe ham etc, fill with grated cheese and pop it into the microwave just enough to melt the cheese. Allow it to cool before 
       giving it to Charlie.  It will take Charlie longer to get anywhere with it and make his brain work!

4.    Kongs – if he likes fruit and veg, mash up some bananas and add bits of apple, carrot or whatever he likes, but never grapes (they’re toxic for dogs). Popped the
       stuffed kong in the freezer for a few hours until frozen. Has the same effect as microwaving, making it longer for Charlie to get into. With all the kongs he should
       work out for himself that if he drops it on the floor it dislodges the food which falls out. If you don’t see him doing this after a few weeks you could maybe drop it
       on the floor yourself to see if he gets the hang of it.

5.    Plastic bottle filled with a handful of kibble. Stuff a chunk of cheese in the top tightly, which he’ll have to work at getting out to get the kibble.

6.    Keep egg boxes and loo rolls. Fill them up with treats, put them into a bigger box hidden amongst newspaper for them to rip apart as while he finds the treats.

7.    Stuff toilet rolls with newspaper and treats and give him a few at a time.

8.    Wrap up a larger treat or a couple of dog biscuits in several sheets of newspaper scrunched up into balls.

9.    The Buster Cube – here’s a website that explains how it works http://www.pets.f9.co.uk/shop/media/buscub.html  You can buy them here
       http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=183&pf_id=3237  or you will probably find them elsewhere on the net too.  You can get simple balls that
      dispense the treats too, but the buster cube makes them think harder. Be warned it is noisy so best used when you’re out!

You can get a DAP defuser online, although I've recently discovered its actually cheaper at my vets which surprised me. The anxiety drops I use are The Company of Animals Anxiety Drops.

Hope this helps a bit.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Florrie's Mum

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 01:49:05 PM »
Florrie's taken to the paint on a corner of wall by the door in the kitchen.  She doesn't do it anywhere else and its not all the time.  Its annoying but she's not made a hole in it yet so tester paint supplies are dealing with it at the moment   ::)

She's in her crate when left alone and isn't destuctive in there, so I think its her getting bored when OH is in the office in the room next door - she's banned from there, likes helping by grabbing the paper as it comes off the printer   :angel:

Offline charlie_jim_gem

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 07:13:27 PM »
whats kibble i like plastic bottle idea :D

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 07:14:31 PM »
whats kibble i like plastic bottle idea :D

That's what dry dog food is called  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline charlie_jim_gem

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 07:20:59 PM »
oh lol thanks sorry im a little dim :005:

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 08:13:05 PM »

Louie has tried to chew the skirting board and also plaster where he can get to a corner, he will hide under full length curtains and try to bite one of the walls. The only thing that worked was to catch him doing it and deal with it immediately. I also never go out and let Louie have the run of the house, he has to stay in his crate, I don't trust him yet :embarassed:

Louie is almost 8 months and is certainly getting better.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 08:45:41 PM »
Sounds like either SA or boredom to me.
How much exercise does your dog get?
Where does the destruction take place?
Is it near a doorway? or an outside wall?
How long is your dog left?
If you put things down for him and he won't touch them it may be because he is too stressed to do so.
Crafty Sams ideas are all good so give them a try.
Does your dog show agitation or perhaps what might be viewed as excitement when you get ready to go out?
Sorry for all the questions.
try not ever chastise the dog for something he has done whilst you are out no matter how bad as he will not associate any punishment with the dastardly deed.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk