Author Topic: Stubborn 5 year old  (Read 74 times)

Offline rubyduby

Stubborn 5 year old
« on: April 21, 2024, 03:46:18 PM »
My girl Amber has become more and more stubborn, she often refuses to walk unless its where she wants, if the lead pulls forward  or over her head she wont move, I have tried the treat scenario, but she learns quick (just like recall) she will behave for the treat but as soon as its gone she starts being awkward again , she seems to have worked out that if she rebelss, then behaves she gets a treat, so she rebels, behaves gets a treat, it isnt stopping the rebelling.
 The recall, she will run away and then come back when I whistle then a treat, then she is off again waiting for the whistle , knowing it brings treats.
Now she is refusing dog food, when she was in season she always loses her appetite for a while , so of course muggings here gives her roast chicken etc, now she wont touch her raw food. I know I give in too easily but I feel I am in a cleft and struggling a tad to find the way out

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Stubborn 5 year ol
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 07:19:21 PM »
i have the same problem with stubborness at the moment, Humphrey will watch us getting ready for walkies from the comfort of his bed and just gives us that „what’s in it for me?“ look! But OH has tried bribing him with treats and that‘s obviously made it worse, - treats should be a reward, at most an encouragement to train but bribery is dangerous!  :005: :005:
When treating for recall, try giving one little treat and then wait a few seconds and give her another one or two, if she thinks there’s a chance that there’ll be another one, she’s more likely to hang around instead of immediately racing off again. You could also use a toy, a game or similar as a reward but try and vary it so she finds you more exciting than what’s going on 20 yards ahead.
You‘re not on your own, I‘m not terribly consistent especially since my boy was so poorly but then to be honest, our dogs aren’t being stubborn, they’re just confused because we’re being unpredictable.

Offline rubyduby

Re: Stubborn 5 year old
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 08:13:32 PM »
Yes I agree, sadly however Amber doesnt play with any toys ar balls so a game wont be very useful. I must try to be firm and consistent...