Author Topic: Behaviour Since Spaying  (Read 1885 times)

Offline GarryJ

• Site Member
Behaviour Since Spaying
« on: December 24, 2003, 06:51:31 PM »
Hi                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Behaviour Since Spaying
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 06:07:22 PM »
Have only just logged on again after the Xmas break and was surprised that nobody has responded to your posting.

I have only ever had one bitch spayed and must say that it has had an effect on her behaviour as well as her coat!!  She is definitely noisier  since she has been done.

I do know that there has been some research done on the effects of spaying and castration, will try and find some reference to it but I have recently moved house and everything is in a state of disarray!!

Will be interested to know what the vet has to say about her behaviour!  I think that vets should give more information about the possible side effects of the op.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline GarryJ

• Site Member
Behaviour Since Spaying
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 08:35:26 PM »
Hi

I took her to the vet and he said that normally after spaying any behavioural changes are for the better but in a small amount of cases there can be changes in behaviour for the worst.

He has arranged for a Dog Pyscologist to contact me tomorrow and I will take it from there!                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Behaviour Since Spaying
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 09:45:31 AM »
Hi there,
Please let us know what the doggy psychologist has to say about it as I certainly would be very interested.
The bitch I had spayed was 6 years old at the time and therefore I can definitely say that her behaviour was different prior to the spaying.  Her coat is also a nightmare to deal with now!!                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Behaviour Since Spaying
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 01:11:15 PM »
I'd be interested to know if spaying has caused any behaviour/character changes from any of you with spayed bitches :?

Lottie (nearly 16 months) has still not had her first season :roll:   I haven't any plans to have her spayed and do not really want to.  Having said that, we go away fairly often and she comes with us.  I'm slightly concerned about the problems we may encounter of her being in season when we are away :? If there are problems as Garry is experiencing then I can completely dismiss it as an option :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline markjcage

• Site Member
Behaviour Since Spaying
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 05:50:04 PM »
We had Daisy spayed last August (She's 2) and since then haven't noticed any behavioural changes at all.
Her coat is a bit 'wilder' and we've cut down her food a bit so she is a bit 'greedier', but apart form that no it had no noticeable effect.                    

Offline Snoop Doggie

• Site Member
Behaviour Since Spaying
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 09:52:29 PM »
One thing ive noticed with our pup is that she is still showing signs of sexual behavious since being spayed. Shes still mounting our other pup and humping her as and when she feels like. Is this normal ???

My previous cocker stopped humping once she was spayed.

Any thoughts ???                    

Offline PennyB

Behaviour Since Spaying
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 11:45:51 PM »
Mounting your pup probably means she's trying to dominate her. Ruby does this to Wilf a lot and she was spayed almost a year ago. She does it to adult dogs who come into the house as well and occasionally they reciprocate!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Snoop Doggie

• Site Member
Behaviour Since Spaying
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 10:25:41 PM »
Ahhhhhhh...I interesting to know.