Author Topic: Rescue Advice  (Read 3174 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Rescue Advice
« on: February 02, 2004, 08:46:11 PM »
Does anyone know of  a rescue organisation that will deal with dogs with behaviour problems?

The situation is that there will be an 18 month old cocker coming in to be PTS in the next few days as he is very protective of his owner and objects to the partner and son. The vet thinks that he is suffering from fear aggression and they have just had the dog castrated against all advice. The partner is not willing to participate in any behaviour modification program and will have nothing to do with the dog now which of course just contributes to the problem :? I wasn't present when they called teh surgery today but the gist of things is that they have contacted rescure centres and the local dog shelters but they won't take him. Not sure if they have contacted cocker rescue or not. If we can get the owners to sign the dog over, I am going to take him in until we can find somewhere for him to go. Obviously the longer he is with me the more difficult it will be to give him up so we are hoping that we can find somewhere for him as 3 dogs at the same age is just a big no no long term. We have already taken 2 dogs who have been in to be pts due to aggression and rehomed them with members of staff and they are currently living happy ever after. We just want to give this poor dog the chance too.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Rescue Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 09:17:01 PM »
Sorry Gill I dont know of any organisation so I cant help. I'm a little surprised about the rescue centres that the owner contacted not taking this dog, I would have thought those with behavioural problems would constitute a high percentage of those needing to be rehomed :?

This dog needs to go to a home with experienced dog owners, who have dealt previously with dogs with behavioural problems - I guess not the easiest type of owners to find :? I'm wondering if it's worth following up with cocker rescue as you say they might not have been contacted yet, and also emailing our member Hel who as you know, sometimes fosters cockers and may have some good advice for you. You probably will have to take him in for a while... who knows, remember Vegas' nickname was 666, and look how nice he's turned out, it's possible this dog will thrive in your home? Good luck, and let us know how you get on!                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Rescue Advice
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 09:40:46 PM »
Gill - NCDL always say they'll never put a healthy dog down - could be worth a try. Poor fella :(                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Rescue Advice
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 10:37:26 PM »
Hi Gill

Poor boy and only 18 months old as well.

Could you not contact his Breeder and see what they say, so many do like to know what is happening with the Dogs they Breed, could be worth a try or Cocker Rescue.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Rescue Advice
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 11:07:01 PM »
How sad Gill  :(  I really hope somewhere can help although personally i can't think of anyone other than what other members have already mentioned. Whne i first started reading this thread it clicked immediately with a similar story i had read in a book. I am sure there is a case similar to this in "The Dog Listener" by Jan Fennell. Not quite sure what the breed of dog was (might have been a collie). I don't have the book so I'm going off memory here, but it did say that unwhittingly the poor dog had been given "top dpg" status (if you believe in the pack theory of course  :wink: ) and that he simply couldnt cope with this job, so was turning to the only method he knew which was aggression. Anyway, just thought it might be worth a thought as it is a very similar story to what you have written......let us know how things work out  :wink:                    

Offline PennyB

Rescue Advice
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 03:13:26 PM »
Gill, Have found a rescue in West Wales who would be willing to take him. Please get in touch by email or PM and I'll give you the details.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

Rescue Advice
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 08:20:58 AM »
Any news on this boy. If the family are struggling then its probably best he's moved before its too late                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Rescue Advice
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 05:16:24 PM »

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Rescue Advice
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 05:20:59 PM »
They haven't been in touch :(  Either they have changed their mind about having him PTS or they are taking their time about deciding. I can appreciate how difficult it must be for them but I think the sooner the dog is away from that environment, the better it will be for him. Will let you all know if I hear anything.                    

Offline PennyB

Rescue Advice
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 11:51:49 PM »
Am in the same position down in Cardiff hoping an owner will give up his cocker before its too late for him. Same problems as this poor boy (and only 2 years old) and owner loves him too bits but he really can't cope and finding it difficult to give him up even though if he carries on as he is (won't/can't do much in way of retraining dog which dog desparately needs) the dog may be pts. Hopefully if we can get him to release him to me then he'll also be going to west Wales!                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Rescue Advice
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 05:26:35 PM »
Just to let you all know that the poor little mite is being taken in this evening for PTS :cry:  I was lucky enough to be there when they called this afternoon and spoke to them for ages but even I admit that it sounds worse than they were originally making out. The dog attacks everyone and has bitten 3 times in the past few days alone. He is very aggressive with other dogs and has even started on his owner. While we were talking, the owner said that he had come from a puppy farm, being shipped up from Ireland to Scotland when he was 6 weeks old and they bought him then :cry:  He has now had the lecture that he must not buy his next dog from a place like that but what chance of life did that poor dog have with that god awful start :cry:

Almost forgot to add that they had been in touch with Cocker Rescue and they wouldn't touch him :(                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Rescue Advice
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 06:17:30 PM »
oohhh!! Gill what a sad end.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Rescue Advice
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 06:24:05 PM »
Sorry to hear this Gill, it must have been a bit heartbreaking for you, at least you tried though :(                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Rescue Advice
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 06:49:54 PM »
Oh that is very sad Gill but I think in such a case there was no really any other way out - some dogs are just too damaged to be able to live a normal life. Cocker Rescue unfortunately cannot take aggressive dogs for legal reasons although I know a few individual officers do take such dogs & have them pts themselves if the owner is not able to. It is heartbreaking for all concerned as anyone knows who has had to make this decision - we had to over 25 years ago (before we got involved in Cockers properly) and I will never forget the experience :(                    
Jane

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Rescue Advice
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 06:54:45 PM »
Doesnt it just go to show the dangers of buying from these puppy farms, :cry: I just hope that some good will come out of this unfortunate dogs short life Gill and that somebody somewhere looking for that much wanted puppy will read this thread and realize the importance of only buying from a responsible and reputable breeder.                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx