Author Topic: What is your dogs top reward treat?  (Read 4353 times)

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
Re: What is your dogs top reward treat?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 06:01:31 AM »
Both Fred and Kooki will do almost anything for LIvercake (am using it with Kooki for recall training and it is starting to work) and Fred adores cheese and hotdog sausages, I tend to mix several things together in my pouch so it is a bit of a game as they dont know what they are going to get everytime (except for recall as Kooki's isnt so good iyswim)
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Noodle

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 06:26:09 AM »
cooked chicken or livercake  :blink:
Nic, Tess & Bella x

Offline brownsugar

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 08:10:59 AM »
Little pieces of reduced fat cheese (20+) with cumin. Use it only for his recall and very special occasions. Works like magic.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 08:18:30 AM »
Anything edible ph34r  I do have to be careful though because Lylas has to be fitting in with her raw diet and Kali has to have non fatty stuff.  I tried the hot dogs that works for so many people on here and she got pancreatitis. :'(
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 08:35:53 AM »
NOw Fred is on medication hotdogs ok with his pancreatitis, it is all the dead things he tries to eat on walks that set off his flare ups and anything salty like ham is a total no no for him, we have even started to re-introduce chicken which he loves
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline puppy love

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 09:26:19 AM »
Frankfurters, although am a bit worried that they are high in salt  :huh: and cheese only for walks.

Inside, mini wetabix and very small training treats (fish 4 dogs i think )
Mims Saffs & Ins xxx

Offline puppy love

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 09:27:19 AM »
And forgot to say cooked chicken for walks to  :D
Mims Saffs & Ins xxx

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 09:50:42 AM »
Normy is incredibly food orientated (a lot of Weims are) but she will actually body slam me given the chance for chicken roasted with lemon and garlic  :lol: At times it can be a bit defeating because she won't actually leave my side when I have it :lol: She's also pretty ball orientated but Normy being Normy can't be made to do anything... so even with her really high value treats if I've annoyed her or she's feeling particularly hormonal... She will still ignore them for something she wants to do. She's A LOT less likely to do this now but I don't think there is any treat that would be 100% with her...  :lol:

Dave loves food but he's not really a connoisseur and anything will do and nothing seems to make him more likely or less likely to respond. He will work for cuddles more than Normy will... give Dave a stroke and he'll do anything for you.. until he gets distracted and forgets where you are or who you are ::) ::) :005: :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 11:19:17 AM »
Indoor treats are pieces of gravy bones or cold meat. I have to up the ante a bit with outdoor treats due to Disney barking at other dogs so I carry a tub of tuna cake/cheese/hot dog pieces. All 3 are particularly high value for him but they still don't have him jumping through hoops like pieces of Frolic  ::)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline silly milly

• Donator
  • silly milly
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »

Honey is similar to Chloe - it really doesn't matter what the treat is when we are indoors... it's the knowing she's done the right thing that seems to motivate her.

As far as top treat goes - the only thing she will eat when there is a tennis ball about is dried sprats, so that would have to be the favourite treat!!!  :D

excuse my ignorance, but what is a dried sprat? :shades:

Hope Karma doesn't mind me answering this one, as on the recent meet at Highcliffe she had some with her.  They are just literally tiny dried whole sprats, eyes included.  I had never seen or heard about them as treats before.

we feed those to our marine fish!    and my daughters cats love them!
with lots of love from silly milly and her mum!!!!

Offline grab

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Cheese, every time.

Schmackos are popular too, but cheese is favourite.  Like most dogs, ours will hang around in the kitchen when you're preparing food, but nothing quite gets their attention like a cheese sandwich.
Judi and Alice.  Add them together and divide by two, and they're a pair of normal spaniels.  Individually they're one fragile and over-intelligent little brat who knows exactly how cute she is, and one big hyperactive fuzzball who's too dopey to do anything except what she's told...

Offline toro

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 08:56:42 PM »
Cheese for indoor training and livercake (heated up the microwave to make it extra smelly!) for outdoor recall training!
Angi, Alex, Freckles and Ollie

Offline Marialh

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 09:45:34 AM »
Like Grab above, cheese and Schmackos - though after a very short time the smell of the broken up Schmackos is so tempting, all Bracken will do is sit at my feet and hope for more! Also, I have to hide where the treats are coming from! The moment he works out that the treats come from that magical place (my pocket) he won't leave me again and that's recall training done for the day!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 11:56:22 AM »
Small cubes of cheddar, tuna bread or sardine bread, or dry toast.

William has a slightly sensitive digestive system and I know from experience that cocktail sausages give him an upset tummy.

I won't feed him tinned hot dog sausages because I'm not too sure what's in them and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole personally  :005: (but I am a fusspot when it comes to food). I don't like using most of the commercially made treats, again because I dread to think what they're made of.

I follow the same guidelines for Louis, but have to say that he seems to have a cast iron constitution. After all, a puppy who swallowed a Greenfinch whole and suffered no ill effects must be pretty robust  :lol2:.

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 12:09:46 PM »
Dennis will do anything for a treat in the house and isnt bothered what it is  however when we are out he isnt intreasted in food or toys , so im yet to find the top reward treat , i havnt yet tried livercake or tuna bread so we will have to see  :D