Author Topic: problems with nightimes  (Read 564 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
problems with nightimes
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:11:20 AM »
Pepper is two. he used to settle very well in his crate downstairs at night. the last few weeks he keeps barking for company. we go in say shush , turn our back , he stlles again but then a few minutes or maybe hours later he barks again. if i leave him he will bark for hours. he is not cold, hungry, or needing a pee, i've check ed all those. i don't know what else to do. any ideas?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: problems with nightimes
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »
Have you tried ignoring him altogether instead of going in to see him? I know it will be a real pain to do if he barks for ages when you first try it, but it might work. At the moment, each time you go in to see him he's getting your attention, even if only briefly, and that's probably encouraging him to bark again.

Something else to think about is giving him a bit more space at night and not restricting him to his crate but maybe leave the door open to allow him access to the rest of the room or part of it if you have something you can use as a barrier.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »
Have you tried putting something over his crate to make it dark?

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 05:49:44 PM »
thanks for the replies, we are trying him back in his much larger puppy pen tonight. As you suggested , maybe he needs more room hope it works!