Author Topic: Brain training  (Read 965 times)

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
Brain training
« on: February 08, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
Almost as soon as we brought Bracken home at 9.5 weeks old (he's 22 weeks old now) we been hiding treats all over the garden, low and high places to use his brain the word FIND is his favourite command and really enjoys the game but I'm running out of ideas as he is finding them very quickly now, any tips you would like to share would be most grateful! :blink:

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Re: Brain training
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 04:18:04 PM »
Cockers have great noses, Teal is the same, I told my visiting daughter to hide a piece of plain bisquite anywhere in our living room and bet her Teal would find it in under a minute, LOL it took her 20 seconds, she still loves the game though, I say hide and she runs to the living room door to be let out to let me do the hiding.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:18:12 PM »
thought about looking into clicker training?

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »
On YouTube there's a guy with a GSD who not only posts command training vids, but also 'fun tricks' - with the clicker as TopBarks suggested. Think his username is Taz or Tas with some numbers, am on phone atm so can't directly link you but have him in my faves so please feel free to PM me for my username if you're struggling to search him out. He teaches funny tricks & also clever stuff like 'bring me an item', am soon to start with my Buckley. Also have you taught Bracken the names for toys? I get a box and have B 'find your *insert toy name*' he lurves it!

Offline praia

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »
For my younger dog clicker training amusing tricks is a great way to stimulate her brain.  For my older spaniel, who was never clicker trained and isn't at all food motivated, we stick more to find it and retrieve games like your pup.  Have you considered working on scent discrimination and tracking with your puppy?  For a dog that is very nose oriented this is a very fun activity. 

We also like to create difficult "puzzles" for him.  These puzzles usually consist of a tennis ball wrapped in a sock, wrapped in another sock, wrapped in a shirt, wrapped in a blanket, stuffed inside a box, stuffed inside another box, etc... you get the point.  He's never been the kind to chew on fabric so we tightly knot up clothes and blankets for him to untie while digging or pulling with his teeth.   When he was younger this would keep him busy for a while.  Now that he's older and an expert at this we stick more to tracking and scent discrimination.

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:59:29 AM »
On YouTube there's a guy with a GSD who not only posts command training vids, but also 'fun tricks' - with the clicker as TopBarks suggested. Think his username is Taz or Tas with some numbers, am on phone atm so can't directly link you

http://www.youtube.com/user/tab289?feature=watch

Tab!! It was tab  :005:
Here you go...

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:11:30 AM »
Thanks all for your ideas BeeBoo will look at that link, Praia I done the scent discrimination with my retriever will certainly do that with Bracken, and I love the idea of putting a ball into layers and layers of clothing! Bracken's scent work is amazing as soon as you say find he is in work mode he is in his element!  :blink:

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 09:46:38 PM »
My girls love the nina Ottosson activity toys ..

http://www.nina-ottosson.com/

They each do different ones my beau is the clever one .. different stimulation and wears them out
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown