Author Topic: Going out the window  (Read 696 times)

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
Going out the window
« on: February 14, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »
Ok! Since Bracken was allowed to go for walks we been trying to get him to heel to no joy,turning him around, stopping, keeping the leash slack which makes him pull even more, been going on for 9 weeks no improvement so enroled him in Puppy class, what we were shown to do seems to have worked only by shoving treats constanly in his mouth, if you don't he will revert to pulling, he will not focus other than pulling on the lead, in theary feeding him treats constantly to make him heel is working but how long to do this for! This is the second week! This and down command is his only downfall, stay, sit, paw, find it, wait, leave & come is brilliant!

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: Going out the window
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:16:51 PM »
Ok! Since Bracken was allowed to go for walks we been trying to get him to heel to no joy,turning him around, stopping, keeping the leash slack which makes him pull even more, been going on for 9 weeks no improvement so enroled him in Puppy class, what we were shown to do seems to have worked only by shoving treats constanly in his mouth, if you don't he will revert to pulling, he will not focus other than pulling on the lead, in theary feeding him treats constantly to make him heel is working but how long to do this for! This is the second week! This and down command is his only downfall, stay, sit, paw, find it, wait, leave & come is brilliant!

Ozzy wouldn't walk to heel either, so we have started using a Halti - not ideal but it is slowly working.  As for the 'down' command - try the Dogs Trust training video on UTube - this really worked for Ozzy, and quickly too - he now does it any time he thinks he might get a treat!  can be a bit tricky if I'm trying to teach him something else!!! :005:

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:25:27 AM »

It's fair to say puppies get excited about going out :dance04: but they do settle and become more "workable" :cool4:
Our trainer reminds us that the reward is in the praise we give, not treats for every exercise completed :P
You'll see the difference soon enough if you stay with the plan ;) patience is key :D

Mel.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »
gemma is a puller on the lead. I think it is down to her being in constant working mode. On our walk today thought we would knuckle down and get her close. We did okay, but did have to have a sit down half way , all the turning sharply made me feel quite sick (must be my old head)?
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
No MIN, the constant turning nearly made me fall over on yesterdays pavement walk  >:( blood-rush!

Another puller here. He seems to think ''heel'' is a funny came involving chasing/jumping up at/trying to pry the treat in my hand, not staying close to my side.
Just got to keep trying!

I took Buckley ''lie down'' not ''down'', because I'm quite annoyed with the amount of people who say DOWN at dogs who jump up....maybe it's a good point so our puppies don't get confused.