Author Topic: Being one step ahead  (Read 866 times)

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
Being one step ahead
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »
Bracken is 6 months old now and his recall is good, and is good belongs I stay one step ahead of him, eg: if he spots birds I will get him focused on a high value treat to get him focused on that than the bird, seems like it be like this all the time, does everyone else have to be one step ahead or are you relaxed when they are off lead? Bracken is starting gun dog training next month so hopefully this will help!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Being one step ahead
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 03:48:23 PM »
That's the joy of a working cocker   :luv:

At least you've acknowledged you need to be a step ahead of them   :D   I guess I relax now as I know Jarvis so well (well he is 8 this year!!!) - he takes small advantage on walks when I am walking with friends and chatting and not paying enough attention to him but not to any great extent.  He's  safe around stock and only goes free hunting if I tell him too. He's not that bothered with other dogs so that's not an issue and he would never run off anyway.

So you can relax eventually but not ever completely (I don't think anyway  ;) )

The gundog training will definitely help  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:17 PM »
I do think you relax more over time like Helen says, but I don't think you can ever switch off with a cocker otherwise they take advantage

I also think our cockers train us too over time  ;) Ben (who is 10) will give me a certain 'look' before he rolls or eats something he shouldn't as if I am watching him he knows I will whistle him for a recall rather than letting him roll, he knows a whistle recall gets the good treats, he also does mock runs when he will suddenly pretend to 'chase' something even if there is nothing there, I can tell as he goes off at speed but runs in an arc, he is just prompting me to do a recall if I haven't done one for a while  :005: so who is one step ahead here - me or Ben  :005:

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:27:04 AM »
Ben sounds just like Bracken my word, Bracken has a habbit of eating other dogs runny poo, so when we come across one that he likes I will distract him with a treat, and for weeks after he will go to that very spot as though to have another lick looking at me knowing I will distract him, little >:D

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »
Well done you for being on top of this prior to starting your gundog training, and yes you will be able to relax a little when he reaches 10 or 12 :D.

It does get a bit easier the older they get but they will take advantage if they know you have switched off.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:01:44 AM »
Ha! So I have a long wait then, Bracken focuses on me alot so belongs I catch him at the right time I have that as an advantage! I was looking at agility or gun dog training I think gun dog training would be more beneficial to him and me both!  :005: ps, thanks for your comments!