Author Topic: Changes in a puppy when starting gun dog training  (Read 693 times)

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
Changes in a puppy when starting gun dog training
« on: March 21, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »
I was in between thinking gun dog training or agility! Gun dog training won as I think it will be more beneficial for Bracken in the long run, what should I expect to see in Bracken when he is training?I am hoping that it will teach him better recall when distracted for one as his recall is great with out distractions ok with distractions belongs I am one step ahead of him, if I'm not he falls on deaf ears! Thanks!

Offline tallulah0710

Re: Changes in a puppy when starting gun dog training
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »
I've done both with Poppy, she loves both, gundog work more so I think  :lol:. To be honest we worked hard on general obedience and recall training before we did either so i'm not of much help. But have fun  :D

Offline Mel B

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:57:38 PM »
Patience - lots of sits/stay (have to learn this for on shoots), steadiness - not running in when dummies are thrown or when other dogs are around, recall, patterning, retrieving etc.  Lots of other stuff too when they get more advanced.  I have to say that I think gun dog training is great even if you just plan to have them as pets, particularly patience as they need this if you take them out and about with you.  My older cocker is a great 'pub dog' laying under any table quite happily  :005:  Hoping the pup will get to this stage in time with training but not there as yet!!!

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:12:45 AM »
Bracken defiantly needs to learn to be patient, he gets bored easily! He is very focused on me and was told by the trainer at puppy class how impressed she was with Bracken where he & I have eye contact!