Author Topic: success curbing the barking  (Read 1047 times)

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
success curbing the barking
« on: May 18, 2013, 09:09:02 AM »
Bracken loves us throwing the ball for him and he had got in the habit of getting overly excited and barking when dropping the ball, I soon realised this is a no-no in the Gun dog rule as he goes to Gun dog Training, so I decided on a plan he's only just started the barking a month ago so hopefully it shouldn't take too long, if he starts barking I put the ball back in my pocket and carry on with the walk  with no ball throwing, next day done the same, been day four now and the barking has greatly reduced, he has understood no ball if he barks! The key is not to get him too excited! :003:

Offline Jasper love

• Beautiful Jasper
Re: success curbing the barking
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:16:26 PM »
Glad your plan is working and I hope it continues x

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:33:14 AM »
Thank you it certainly has, not even a week yet and instead of the the barking every time he drops the ball it is just the odd bark, again ball gets put away but he has improved!

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »
Well done - now if you can come up with a strategy to stop Ozzy barking indoors whenever he 'thinks' he sees or hears something unusual, I'd be forever in your debt!!!

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »
Is he barking at something outside that he sees through the window, you can buy a screen for the window so he can't see out until he learns to forget! Hearing things another matter other than put the radio on!

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »
Is he barking at something outside that he sees through the window, you can buy a screen for the window so he can't see out until he learns to forget! Hearing things another matter other than put the radio on!

Both good ideas - although the radio is on most of the time - he sometimes barks at that as well!!  >:D  Will give the screen some thought, although I don't think we'd be able to do it for all the windows in the sitting room - 5 and a patio door!!!  We'd be like mushrooms, living in the dark!!!

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »
Can try frosted screen still let the light in! Just a thought!