Author Topic: 5am wakeup – advice as to how to delay this, please!  (Read 1122 times)

Offline zenon_bass

5am wakeup – advice as to how to delay this, please!
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:17:49 PM »
Suggestions needed, please as to how I can encourage my 12yr fn red cocker bitch to sleep/be quiet for a further hour each morning.  Night time routine is that Millie is let out at about midnight for last wee and then given a biscuit in an open covered crate in the kitchen.  No problems with this. The crate is where she gets all her treats. The kitchen blind is drawn. She is waking at 5am, whining to be allowed out of the kitchen.  >:D
The problem apart from my shuteye is that the kitchen adjoins my neighbour’s house.  His bedroom is virtually above and naturally he resents being woken as early as this! Millie has access to outdoors via a dog flap.  She’s happy to use the flap at other times of day and night.

Usually she is fed at about 6pm after a 40 min walk. I have tried feeding her later, about 7pm, but this doesn’t seem to have had the desired effect.  Can anyone suggest anything, please?  IS there anything I can do or give Millie?  I’d be happy with a 6am wake-up call from her...  I just don’t feel I can let her continue fussing and whining  >:( when she wakes at 5am, due to annoying my neighbour as I do want to stay on good terms with him.  I tend to come down and without saying anything let her in the lounge while I crash out on the settee!

Her history is as follows: I rehomed her in Sept 2012 from an elderly lady, who had allowed Millie to sleep on her bed and hardly left Millie on her own.  Very very gradually I have weaned her off this and she will now stay quietly in the daytime for about 30 mins on her own, if she knows I’m around.  Magic!  Otherwise it’s a gradual crescendo of whining to banshee howling as she suffers from separation anxiety. 

It is just novice me and the dog here at home!  Thanks in hope!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: 5am wakeup – advice as to how to delay this, please!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:24:24 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL :blink:

Has Millie been an early riser ever since you rehomed her, or has it just been this summer? If the latter, it may resolve itself as autumn comes and daybreak is later.

Would you be able to move her crate into the living room and give her a bit more freedom at night? Maybe she just feels restless.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:36:55 PM »
I agree with Elaine, can she not have the freedom to check where you are, and then hopefully she will take herself back to bed until you get up.

Is she shut in the kitchen for a specific reason ? if it is because she jumps on the bed and you dont want her to you could try a baby gate across your bedroom door way but she will still be able to hear/smell that you are in there because as you said, if she "knows" your there she's fine.

;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »
I have a 5am waker too but he sleeps in my room and after getting up for a bit of a wander he goes back to bed until I get up. I've always thought he gets woken by the birds. Its definitely worse in the summer when the window is open. Would Millie feel comforted by a radio at all? If you set a radio alarm for close to the time she wakes perhaps she would feel like she had company with her.

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL :blink:

Has Millie been an early riser ever since you rehomed her, or has it just been this summer? If the latter, it may resolve itself as autumn comes and daybreak is later.

Would you be able to move her crate into the living room and give her a bit more freedom at night? Maybe she just feels restless.

Thanks everyone!
Millie's early rising has just been for the last 3 weeks or so.  Her dog sitter's routine, where she stays when I'm away is bedtime from midnight to 6am, confined downstairs.  And there's no problem with that I gather....  My kitchen is quite large, so for cleanliness sake I'd prefer to keep her there when she uses the dog flap in the night, looking forward to wetter times .  And I thought of darker mornings; won't 5am become 4am???

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 05:36:22 PM »
I have a 5am waker too but he sleeps in my room and after getting up for a bit of a wander he goes back to bed until I get up. I've always thought he gets woken by the birds. Its definitely worse in the summer when the window is open. Would Millie feel comforted by a radio at all? If you set a radio alarm for close to the time she wakes perhaps she would feel like she had company with her.

Thanks for this: I must admit she is used to sleeping when the TV is on, and I'm aware that the radio was on an awful lot in her old owner's house...

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 05:46:27 PM »
I agree with Elaine, can she not have the freedom to check where you are, and then hopefully she will take herself back to bed until you get up.

Is she shut in the kitchen for a specific reason ? if it is because she jumps on the bed and you dont want her to you could try a baby gate across your bedroom door way but she will still be able to hear/smell that you are in there because as you said, if she "knows" your there she's fine.

;)

Thanks for this: I have thought about allowing Millie to come upstairs at night again.  It did take about 3 months to gradually train her out of this, step by step.  And she quickly realised within a few nights of arrival that my bed was mine and hers was hers. She is now behind a baby gate in the kitchen. I have tried leaving smelly clothes outside the kitchen door too where she can sniff them at night.  I prefer her to stay in the kitchen as she has access to outdoors: anything that comes back in with her can quickly be cleared up, rather than taken all over the new carpets.  Hers was a totally unexpected emergency adoption just after carpet arrival; she's totally converted me to cockers now!  Wouldn't change her for the world!

Offline Gordon

• Sleepy days
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »
crikey you're lucky my springer gives a yap between 4-00 4-30 am without fail,  >:Dthe springer and cocker :luv: both go out for a pee and a poo, back in for breakfast, then another hours sleep then wake up for a drink around 5-30.

Good job I'm an early riser

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 11:50:49 AM »
We went to the vet 2 days ago who said that she had the same problem with her springers.  What helped was an Adaptil plug in which she only used 10 mins before bedtime and overnight.  It solved her problem. (Vet treatment was for a sore lip.)
I fished out an old Adaptil collar and Millie is now wearing it instead of her usual collar at night.  1st night - bliss! didn't wake until 6.30am.  2nd time (today)  woke at 5.30am, so I'm not sure yet if it's the Adaptil working it's magic or something else...  she was certainly quieter this morning with the whining not escalating to yipping that neighbour can hear.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 10:56:21 AM »
I used to have this problem.

I ended up feeding her later. Rather than when i first got up this helped loads. Now i feed them at different times so they dont get used to a certain time.