Author Topic: help with an impatient cocker  (Read 743 times)

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
help with an impatient cocker
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »
Bracken is very good with recall to whistle, very good at quartering, very good with finding his ball, what he's not good at and that's patience! Out on our walks I get him to sit & stay and walk back but only can do that a short distance before he wants to come to me, if I keep the distance small he'll come when whistled but won't if the distance is great, also I'm finding if I get him to sit to try again too many times he gets into a huff so I stop, is that right to do or should I ignore him and do it til he gets it right?

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Re: help with an impatient cocker
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:55:14 AM »
He sounds like a very smart boy.  Re the sit/stays, I think you need to practice these first where there are less distractions, so in the house.  Build up very slowly and don't move them outside until he is rock solid in the house.  Start by leaving  him just one pace and going back after just a couple of seconds to praise and treat him.  Then move away a few more paces and repeat.  Gradually, over a few sessions you can build up to leaving him longer, turning your back, running away, walking towards him and then away again etc etc.  All this should be done in short bursts over a week or two.  If he breaks from the sit, pick up his lead (always leave this on him to begin with) and walk him back to where he was.  Then do just a short easy sit/stay before building up again.  Don't try to go to the next stage too quickly and stop once he is getting bored.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
Very important not to call him to you once he has sat, either walk to him and treat/praise or through his ball/ dummy.

This will stop him anticipating running back to you. I never recall from sit at until command is fully learnt.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:11:34 AM »
Very important not to call him to you once he has sat, either walk to him and treat/praise or through his ball/ dummy.

This will stop him anticipating running back to you. I never recall from sit at until command is fully learnt.
Was about to post same thing!  Think he's confused about what he is expected to do as far as the 'stay' is concerned.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Hannahc7

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:13:56 PM »
That is such a good tip JeffD - I am going to try that one!

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
Thanks! Think that's where I am going wrong whistling him to me but realized I had to be very quick before he came running to me, will heed your advice  and do it right this time!