Author Topic: started barking like a maniac at other dogs  (Read 626 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
started barking like a maniac at other dogs
« on: May 21, 2014, 01:41:14 PM »
pepper has started going absolutley balistic when he sees other dogs, particularly when on the lead. this has been over the past few weeks. nothing significant  happened that i can think of. he is three now . i turn and take him the other way but it doesn't seem to help any ideas?

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: started barking like a maniac at other dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 02:40:19 PM »
I have this problem with Brodie. Ive tried a variety of different methods. One is to get all excited when I see a dog (I have to see the dog before she does to have some success) and then praise her like mad for any positive behaviour she carries out (so stopping barking, turning away, sniffing, etc). This has worked to a surprising extent - she walked past two big black dogs the other day with barely a woof. I tend to get tense when I see a dog, so speaking in a happy voice helps relax me as well as Brodie.

Another is to have her totally focussed on me, using treats, which is harder as she is not always food motivated. For both methods to work I have to have her below threshold, as if she is too near the dog then she is going to react no matter what I wave in front of her face.

There's a really good video about thresholds and using counter conditioning/desensitisation - the topic is a dog reacting to scooters but the same method applies:

http://youtu.be/tdFK5rGbjJ0

x In memory of Barney x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 03:36:51 PM »
I have the same problem with Louis. The root of the problem is the attack made on him by a large Whippet type dog when he was a puppy and we were walking on lead one day. Luckily for me I don't need to have Louis on lead very often, but when I do, and when he's off lead too, I do much the same as Jenny does with Brodie.

I trained a "watch me", which was easy with Louis as he's very food orientated. If he's on lead and a dog approaches that I know will have to pass us close by I use the "watch me" to keep him focussed on me.

If the dog won't be passing too close to us, when Louis is on lead or off, I use a "look at that" if I see the dog before Louis or at the same time, and reward him (quiet voice and lots of little treats) for every calm behaviour that he then does. Over time I've learned the distance that Louis is comfortable with when other dogs are nearby and I also watch the body language of other dogs to see if I think Louis will be able to stay calm near them. We have setbacks, and it's not easy to manage. I've had to teach myself to be calm and confident in order to help Louis and not to feel embarrassed or to be hard on myself when it goes wrong!

I think turning and walking away when Pepper has already started to react is too late, as he's already crossed the threshold and maybe even feels more fearful if the other dog is behind him and he can't see him properly. I'm sure there must be times when that's your only option, but if you can be watchful all the time and try a "watch me" or something before Pepper kicks off the situation should be easier to manage. Good luck :D

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »
I think turning and walking away when Pepper has already started to react is too late, as he's already crossed the threshold and maybe even feels more fearful if the other dog is behind him and he can't see him properly. I'm sure there must be times when that's your only option, but if you can be watchful all the time and try a "watch me" or something before Pepper kicks off the situation should be easier to manage. Good luck :D

I agree - the trick is to pre-empt the situation and be proactive. Wilf can be like this with certain dogs but thankfully I've encouraged him to like tennis balls so if I see a dog in the distance I show him the ball and he'll then walk by my side offlead as good as anything and won't even look at the other dog as he's so focused on the ball - once we pass the dog I throw the ball for his reward. As others suggest the 'watch me' or look at me command works but you have to do this before you get to a situation where the dog begins to react.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »
Bailey does this and it is totally fear based.  I started working with a behaviourist on Sunday and she has already shown me some very subtle body language signals that Bailey gives that I really hadn't picked up on :dunno:

She has explained to me that in Bailey's world she is barking at the dog as she is fearful and uncomfortable with their presence and she wants them to go away.  By leading her away in the opposite direction she see's it as getting distance between her and the other dog which means the barking/growling has worked as it has had the desired effect, the dog has moved further away.  She doesn't realise that the dog was going in the opposite direction anyway.

I thought taking her away from the stressful situation was helping but it wasn't.  I am now teaching her a word command "good" with a treat when she is calm.  If she looks then looks at me I can get her attention on me before she reaches full ballistic mode.  It is still early day and a work in progress but she is def getting the idea.  I have been told that if we come across a dog suddenly and she goes straight to frenzied barking/lunging then to stand still and silent (do not talk to her) until the dog has passed and she can become calm again on her own. 

I am not saying your problem is the same but already in just 3 days I am seeing a marked improvement.  Bailey has always been fearful and it is not just dogs it is a multitude of things that set her off so the fact that this has just started for you may mean there is a different underlying cause.

Good Luck
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:13:56 PM »
Bailey does this and it is totally fear based.  I started working with a behaviourist on Sunday and she has already shown me some very subtle body language signals that Bailey gives that I really hadn't picked up on :dunno:

She has explained to me that in Bailey's world she is barking at the dog as she is fearful and uncomfortable with their presence and she wants them to go away.  By leading her away in the opposite direction she see's it as getting distance between her and the other dog which means the barking/growling has worked as it has had the desired effect, the dog has moved further away.  She doesn't realise that the dog was going in the opposite direction anyway.

I thought taking her away from the stressful situation was helping but it wasn't.  I am now teaching her a word command "good" with a treat when she is calm.  If she looks then looks at me I can get her attention on me before she reaches full ballistic mode.  It is still early day and a work in progress but she is def getting the idea.  I have been told that if we come across a dog suddenly and she goes straight to frenzied barking/lunging then to stand still and silent (do not talk to her) until the dog has passed and she can become calm again on her own. 

I am not saying your problem is the same but already in just 3 days I am seeing a marked improvement.  Bailey has always been fearful and it is not just dogs it is a multitude of things that set her off so the fact that this has just started for you may mean there is a different underlying cause.

Good Luck

Yes, I've found that when Brodie is over threshold there is very little you can do but wait it out. It's really good to read you are having noticing a difference in three days - I will hopefully be getting a behaviourist out for a one-to-one at some point just so she can give me some tips: ie am I doing things right and what am I missing. I do make good progress by myself, but something always happens to throw us back onto square one (out of control dogs being our main problem, even in the streets), and hopefully I can find out how best to handle those situations.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 12:12:09 PM »
thanks for the replies. i had not thought about what was happening when i took pepper away. i shall avoid doing that. the problems are that food does not work as a distraction, i could try a ball, but then he will disappear and guard it!  we had an awaful thing this morning when he charged at two greman shepherds who then chased him away. he was btter with other dogs actually for the rest of the walk mind you and i gave him lots of praise for that. i will try to reward the good stuff and i think we had better start off the walk on lead, it's when we start off he seems at his worst.