Author Topic: Need help or rehome :(  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Curlylocks

Re: Need help or rehome :(
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 11:06:41 PM »
Hi there, hope you are feeling encouraged by all the other replies. Just one more thing to add: have you done whistle training for recall? You can do really solid whistle/recall training by putting in just 5 mins a day (initially just at home, not out and about) over 2 or 3 weeks. I followed instructions in "Train Your Dog Like A Pro" (worked like a dream) but another book that's recommended is Total Recall. Basically I agree with earlier comments that she needs to be totally off lead to be truly exercised. Lily gallops around like a mad thing when I take her out, doing great big figures of eight and scampering up and down hills. I get so much pleasure from watching her...

I also think the residential training someone suggested sounds like a good quick fix – and you'd get a wee break in the meantime! Good luck!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 10:30:25 PM »
Be careful re residential training though as your dog is being trained in someone else's care away from you plus its not a quick fix as you still have to continue the work once a dog comes home - choose somewhere wisely that will only use positive methods
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline rubybella

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 04:23:48 PM »
Have to be honest I would never suggest residential training. I would like to see exactly how my dog is being trained. How do you know that they are using positive methods if you aren't there to see it? How do you know that the dog isn't being beaten every time it does something wrong ?

Training is something that happens as a result of the partnership between the owner and dog, it isn't a quick fix but an ongoing process. How do you know that when you get home the dog isn't going to revert back to its old ways ?

I would never send my dog away for residential training, no matter how bad things were!

Chloe

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 05:00:10 PM »

Offline lesley3165

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 05:35:54 PM »
Meg wasn't at all interested in balls until we introduced two on the advice of mark at top barks. Total transformation, she doesn't really want to retrieve them but just loves the chase. If she starts to wander off we just say ball,meg and she comes flying bàck. We live about an hour from mark but had a two hours session with him one Saturday when meg was about 9 months old and it was the best money I ever spent in terms of her training. He just helped us identify what interested her. Whatever you decide to do, good luck, cockers are incredibly  intelligent dogs and you will get thère it is just finding out what suits you all.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 06:42:03 PM »
Have to be honest I would never suggest residential training. I would like to see exactly how my dog is being trained. How do you know that they are using positive methods if you aren't there to see it? How do you know that the dog isn't being beaten every time it does something wrong ?

Training is something that happens as a result of the partnership between the owner and dog, it isn't a quick fix but an ongoing process. How do you know that when you get home the dog isn't going to revert back to its old ways ?

I would never send my dog away for residential training, no matter how bad things were!

Chloe

Have to agree... Also, as mentioned earlier try Top Barks.  If he can't help you as he's too far he can recommend someone to you.