Author Topic: Zoomies!!  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Leo0106

Zoomies!!
« on: September 19, 2019, 06:10:31 PM »
Does anyone else's dog appear to NEED zoomies every night before settling down?!

Leo has come so so far in life.... He's always going to need managing but he's so loving that I will manage every behaviour I need in order to continue to make his life an enjoyable one.
However, a query, every night... And I mean every night, he has zoomies before laying down to sleep. He will lay down, throw what I call his 'tantrum' on the floor (which consists of barking and growling and legs flying everywhere) before proceeding to sprint at full speed round the garden or the house. This is sometimes combined with trying to dig the carpet and /or stealing any item he can (such as the remote control) to try and goad us to react to him.

Now in all honesty it dosnt really cause an issue, he dosnt do any damage to furniture or anything like that... But am I missing something that he's trying to tell me? Or is he just trying to let out his last energy?

For information, Leo is 2.5 years old. He has 3 walks a day (40 mins in the morning, 45 mins at lunch, an hour in the evening) and we practise scentwork or some form of other productive training for atleast half hour every evening.

I'm not hideously bothered by it.... But it would be nice to not worry about him doing it every night when we stay at other people's houses  :005:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Zoomies!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 06:37:54 AM »
  :lol2: Not sure if anyone‘s really ever reached a solid conclusion as to The Mystery of the Zoomies!!!   :shades:. Sounds as if Leo‘s adopted it as a bedtime ritual, maybe at one time he might have interpreted something you said or did as the command to „zoom“ or at least thought you‘d praised him and it now belongs to the bedtime procedure? (Humph always gets a biscuit after his last wee outside before we go to bed, don‘t know exactly what he links that „reward“ to, - „weeing“, coming inside or sitting down in the kitchen ?) 
But then maybe its not that complicated, could be he‘s just letting off the last bit of steam.
You’ll probably never know but I find the zoomie performance heart lifting and is one of life’s rewards for the patience of being a cocker mummy!  ;)  :bigarmhug: to Leo!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 08:00:10 AM »
Hi bizzy Lizzy,
Thanks for your response!
I do find it fascinating how they adopt rituals and understand cues to a routine.

I do feel as though the zoomies is just something Leo has come to adopt.. although saying that the past 2 nights he hasn't done it but this may be due to the fact his dad is away on tour again and I tend to make a conscious effort of keeping him thoroughly distracted the first few nights as otherwise he cried by the front door all night.

I do love the zoomies, I try desperately not to praise him particularly for it but maybe he can see me smirking behind my cup of tea whenever he does it haha.

Hugs to humph!

Offline Digger

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »
Mwahahahahahahaaaaa

I know someone else a bit like this.....

>:D :005:

Offline Digger

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 01:33:11 PM »
Hi Leo ;)

So we have had a funny thing recently. As you can probably imagine, Leo's evil twin has also had somilar behaviour..that dreaded witching hour. Ours never barks or growls but would just 'start'
. You could see it coming..looking bored, starting to scratch the sofa-we tell her not to-she argues back with the batting paws-then the nasty faces come out and the teeth and the boxing..etc etc. You know what I mean.
So...for months we just put her out of the room. Sometimes there would be a repeat performance but 9 times out of10 she would just huff and settle down. Eventually it stopped (about 22 months?).
BUT!!!.....
We went on holiday in the camper for a fortnight and all was fine, but when we got home she started doing it again!!!!! Arrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!
We've been back a month and it is diminishing again but we've had to go back to time outs like she's 6 months old again.
We have a few theories:
1) Inca thought she had moved house to the beach and her new life was 24/7 dog walks and being with both of us 100% of the time and was really peed off when she got home and realised it was just a holiday.
2) She is so routiney that having to readjust did her head in.
3) After 2weeks of being very curtailed (on the lead a lot more in between places etc) , she couldn't cope with the freedom of the run of the house and garden and felt really cocky.

I also think that our dog is very immature (she still chews things and seems to really struggle to learn some commands) and a lotof her behaviour is very pupoy like.

I read a thing only this morning about wolves and apparently, in the wild, the pups stay with the mother dog until they are two years old. This would indicate that the adult dogs don't think the youngsters have enough savvy until that age. Bearing in mind that pet dogs taken from their mums at 8 weeks also have to learn a load of other human stuff too, it's not surprising that there are some which aren't quite up to speed at 2. Ours is definitely still learning.

On balance, I think we have to just keep firmly doing the pup training until the behaviour stops. As they say-it'll be alright in the end, and if it's not alright, it's not yet the end!!?!

That's what we're working on anyway...blind hope. It's that or beachy head for a bit of ball hahahahaha!!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 08:47:40 PM »
Hi digger,
So sorry for my delayed response. I've just returned from holiday in Rhodes with my dad,
Completley agree with everything you say, we regularly revert back to puppy training with leo, especially at times of change (such as visiting my mum's house for any period of time, because he is spoiled rotten there!!!)

The zoomies seem very much part of Leo's routine, and leo is a very routined dog in many ways. One interesting thing we have also come to learn with Leo is the art of ONE carer present instead of two.... This may seem a bit odd. But at 7 months old my partner went on deployment for 4 months, this was the height of Leo's absolutley unbearable behaviour.. and in that 4 months I managed to transform him with a lot of hard work... I took the credit myself, thinking it was Purley down to my utter hard work and consistency. However over the years I have come to realise that leo is a completley different dog when only myself or my partner are home.. when we are in the house together he is a cheeky monkey!!

An example: partner goes away on deployment and I experience no issues with his behaviour, no stealing items, rare zoomies and no jumping at the counters... When my partner comes back we have a few days of all those behaviours returning. I have just been on holiday with my dad for a week, leaving my partner at home with leo, I was anxious as I never usually leave him for any period of time however my partner has gladly reported that Leo acted like an angel all week with just my partner at home, the minute I come back, we see a repeat of behaviours that he hasn't exhibited for almost 2 years!!!

They are funny little beans... I am in utter awe of Leo's loving nature 90% of the time. Although he is a little overwhelming with the love!!!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 08:52:14 PM »

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »
Ah as always the lovely Leo.....love the pics.

They do have there little ways....especially Leo....... :rofl1: can't get the toilet issue out of my head!!!
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Digger

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »
Ahh great photos -and yep-exactly the same as Inca..Ridiculously affectionate and cuddly and next minute feisty little  beeeeeeeep!

I don't know what the answer is-maybe they're just extreme everything. Nothing in moderation. Think that coins it!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 08:56:11 PM »
Jays mum!! The toilet issue is still a problem, yesterday we were watching the rugby in bed, Leo stood at our ensuite door crying and crying for ages... Thought maybe he thought someone was in there... Maybe he left a toy in there.... Well opened the door to let him check it out,he walks straight to the toilet, lifts the lid with his head and starts drinking out of it!!!!!!! Nutter!!!

He's never got poorly through his toilet drinking antics... So this is yet another thing I have had to try and just pick my battle with.... However I am very careful when I bleach the toilets!!! This strictly only happens on a Monday when leo is at daycare all day!!!!
The things we do for dogs!!

Nothing in moderation,we did a 6 hour scentwork session today and after 6 hours, Leo was still searching 100% and completing every find!!!! Meanwhile all the other dogs are asleep 😂