Author Topic: Some tips would be appreciated  (Read 7520 times)

Penel

Re: Some tips would be appreciated
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 09:11:50 PM »
Well, at least you know now, and not after you've hurt his neck  ;)  when any of mine are on a long line, I have them on a harness, and I "wear" the line across me - and I wear gloves. So my body takes the strain if they do pull .... rather than breaking another finger like I did last year.... ::)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 09:12:18 PM »
I've just went and got the packaging to make sure it didn't say anything about wearing a harness, and me being the plonker I am, have bought a house line ph34r I wondered why it was shorter than all the long lines I have seen :embarassed:

I give up >:(
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Penel

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 09:16:36 PM »
PMSL  :D  ok so go to a horsey shop, and buy a lunge line - or even Pets at home do a long line nowadays, made by Company of Animals ... anyway a house line always comes in handy  ;) :lol:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2006, 11:05:04 PM »
Aw Gill - stick with it :(

I got a long "climbing rope" line from Training Lines, and another flat nylon long line from a local independent pet store (Cheryl is borrowing this one atm  ;)) - but I agree with Penel, a harness is a must  ;)

Ouch Penel - I know from experience how painful a broken finger can be  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 10:29:33 AM »
Remember you must have them on a harness if you are using a long line, so that you don't break their necks.

I didn't know that :o I'm not doing very well today am I  ::)

I didn't know that either :huh: Ok what sort of harness do I go for?   I have a stop - pull one here but I HATE IT and only put it on her once since then it's stayed in it's box sat by the computer ;)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 10:41:28 AM »
Wow! I don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but we are slowly (and rather dimly) realising that this is an increasing problem with Buddy. He is also becoming more wary of strangers and a bit hand shy.

I have a home made long line (made in an emergency when we had Salty with us in February) but it's not as good as a proper one. And I didn't know about the harness either.

To be honest when off lead Buddy rarely goes up to the dogs he's scared of so it's not really going to make much difference there. He tends to hide behind me. but when they have passed by he might be a bit bolder towards their back end! :005:

When on lead though he's a nightmare; barking and lunging. So much so that I try to avoid meeting other dogs in the street. Especially when I'm on the school run because the barking scares the kids as we walk past, even though it's not aimed at them.

I have been thinking about some 1-1, but have been trying a bit of distraction on my own with a little success (which might be down to my technique).

I will be watching this thread with interest.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 12:11:08 PM »
Right, I have just been down to P@H and got a 10m line - that was the longest they had but its got to do a better job than the 1.25m house line I was using yesterday :embarassed: I'll dig out a harness and we will try again this afternoon ::)

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 03:34:15 PM »
gill,the only advice i can give you is .....send top barks a pm.he always has a sensible working solution.i'm sure he wouldn't mind ;)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 04:37:36 PM »
When on lead though he's a nightmare; barking and lunging. So much so that I try to avoid meeting other dogs in the street. Especially when I'm on the school run because the barking scares the kids as we walk past, even though it's not aimed at them.

I have been thinking about some 1-1, but have been trying a bit of distraction on my own with a little success (which might be down to my technique).

I will be watching this thread with interest.

I'd go for 1-2-1s as they're a great way to help you and Buddy.

I also once saw someone use TTouch to help as well and I think there are a handful of good TTouchers near you
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Penel

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 04:55:29 PM »
Just a normal static harness, nothing that tightens when they pull.  It's purely to spread the load if they do get to the end of it at speed.  Remember to reward any good behaviour - and walk away from bad behaviour.  If they even look towards you instead of barking / lunging, you can reward - either vocally, or if you use a clicker that is the time to click ( and treat when they get back to you.)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 06:20:06 PM »
Remember you must have them on a harness if you are using a long line, so that you don't break their necks.

Ideally you need to find a behaviourist who has confident kind "stooge" dogs - if any of you are near Angela Stockdale, I can highly recommend her, and her dogs - she is an expert in all sorts of canine aggression.  Her website is www.dogpartnership.com and she is based in Somerset.  For starters, she would probably recommend you walk the dogs separately, rather than as a group, or pair, in case they are reacting to each other.

I have just got back from a weekend workshop with her and I found her very interesting.
I'm now quiting this list to join Malumutes on line as I have fallen head over heels with her Boy Norse
What a stunna!
Only kidding but her teaching dogs are quite something.
I would kill for a dog like that.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 06:24:21 PM »
Anybody know if there is a scottish version of angela stockdale then??  She sounds like just what I need

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2006, 06:35:44 PM »
I think she is unique Gill, I am afraid ladies of her calibre and insight into aggression are few and far between.
I have just read your origional post Gill and to assess your doggie someone would have first to see it but if the dog is fearful I think Angela would reccomend not castrating.
She may reccomend a body harness and perhaps some Ttouch and she would try and break the dogs habit of reacting like this by only walking with proven stooge dogs for some time.
i also saw her work with a young Gsd who was reactive to men and had a bite in him for sure.
the dog came forward with all teeth showing and she came forward to meet him. She took all the dogs posturing and only when the dog backed away diid she turn and walk away.
For a positive trainer trying to build confidence in dogs this technique was alien to me, but she was trying to show the dog that his reaction did not work and it was only him backing down that made the scary person go away.
She said she would not try this if the dog had been older and reccomended that no one else try it, but the mechanics of what she did to make the dog understand that all this lunging actually brought it's worst nightmare even closer made perfect sense to me.
Once she had the dog backing off she then began to build the dogs confidence in people using more reward based methods.
Fascinating to watch and hard to describe on here.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »
Anybody know if there is a scottish version of angela stockdale then??  She sounds like just what I need

If you find one gill let me know ;) I was over in your part of the woods yesterday, took Fern to Tentsmuir, funnily enough she didn't like the taste of salt water :005:

Penel

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2006, 08:37:59 PM »
Hey Mark - I'm so pleased you went to meet Ange - she's one in a million isn't she  ;) :D - and yes her dogs are amazing...