Author Topic: Some tips would be appreciated  (Read 7522 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Some tips would be appreciated
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2006, 11:49:18 AM »
i just wish i lived closer to her Penel >:(
i think to attend her groups would be fascinating.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2006, 03:31:12 PM »
I've posted in the 'other breed section' about my neighbours Boxer before.  She's not at all aggressive but runs off after every dog in the park for a play.  No amount of calling will get her back, total tunnel vision.  My neighbour has tried everything from 1 to 1 training, long line, you name it she's tried it but NOTHING works ::)  She was spayed 6 months ago in a hope that would help but there has been no change.

I know Disney is going after dogs for a different reason so you may be luckier in finding an answer to the problem Gill.  Good Luck ;)
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2006, 10:41:28 PM »
Just seen this Gill..........not been on for weeks.......too much studying to do  >:(

Hope you manage to Disney out.  Remember Brogan is around and up for a walk anytime you need a stooge dog  ;) Have lost count now of how many dogs he has managed to calm down that started out with a fear.   And if all else fails - you could try flooding therapy with Bailey  :005:

Good Luck!!
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2006, 07:26:36 AM »
Hope you manage to Disney out.  Remember Brogan is around and up for a walk anytime you need a stooge dog  ;) Have lost count now of how many dogs he has managed to calm down that started out with a fear.   And if all else fails - you could try flooding therapy with Bailey  :005:

Good Luck!!

Might end up taking you up on that offer Laura ;) Brogan is just the steady kind of dog we need I think. Will send you a pm later to catch up ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Penel

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2006, 11:00:18 PM »
i just wish i lived closer to her Penel >:(
i think to attend her groups would be fascinating.

tis very very interesting yes  :D

my neighbours Boxer before.  She's not at all aggressive but runs off after every dog in the park for a play.  No amount of calling will get her back, total tunnel vision.  My neighbour has tried everything from 1 to 1 training, long line, you name it she's tried it but NOTHING works

in that case I would say that they have let her off the long line before she has a reliable recall.  I do not believe that nothing works I'm afraid - to me, that means, they haven't tried hard enough to train her properly, and consistently.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2006, 09:39:14 AM »
my neighbours Boxer before.  She's not at all aggressive but runs off after every dog in the park for a play.  No amount of calling will get her back, total tunnel vision.  My neighbour has tried everything from 1 to 1 training, long line, you name it she's tried it but NOTHING works

in that case I would say that they have let her off the long line before she has a reliable recall.  I do not believe that nothing works I'm afraid - to me, that means, they haven't tried hard enough to train her properly, and consistently.

I'm afraid I agree with Penel - if a long line is used to "train" the dog, then it's not a case of it working or not - the dog is not allowed of the line lead until the recall is reliable at each level of distraction  ;) It took nearly 12 months to train Molo to recall in high distraction situations  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2006, 09:56:14 AM »

I'm afraid I agree with Penel - if a long line is used to "train" the dog, then it's not a case of it working or not - the dog is not allowed of the line lead until the recall is reliable at each level of distraction  ;) It took nearly 12 months to train Molo to recall in high distraction situations  ::)

I agree as well, It took me 5 months to get Bayley off a long line and I partly do it for a living.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2006, 10:23:09 AM »
I still haven't managed to find a behaviourist - the only one who was recommended to me has apparently used an electric shock collar on an aggressive dog so I don't really feel comfortable getting in touch with her. Oh yes, and Barkbusters were another one - I think not!!! I took him to the vets for a check up just to make sure there was nothing physical and he appears fine. He has been put on a course of Ovarid to help him while we are trying to modify the behaviour which I'm not too sure about to be honest. Too early to say whether he is getting better but we are working hard ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2006, 11:46:13 AM »
Gill I've PM'd you ;)

Don't know if the info I passed on was any good to you, but thought you could have a look and make your own mind up

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2006, 08:18:06 PM »
I still haven't managed to find a behaviourist - the only one who was recommended to me has apparently used an electric shock collar on an aggressive dog so I don't really feel comfortable getting in touch with her. Oh yes, and Barkbusters were another one - I think not!!! I took him to the vets for a check up just to make sure there was nothing physical and he appears fine. He has been put on a course of Ovarid to help him while we are trying to modify the behaviour which I'm not too sure about to be honest. Too early to say whether he is getting better but we are working hard ;)

Gill,
 where abouts in bonnie Scotland are you? there is a fellow course member of mine Tracy Mclennan who is also a ttouch practitioner who lives in Denny I think it is.
Sorry my geography of Scotland is so poor.
She is a friend of freya's (Crazy Spaniels) and if she is anywhere near you would be someone who would be good for you to meet.
you are right to stay away from anyone using an e collar to sort this type of issue as it in my oppinion is not anything to consider for a nervous reactive dog.
I am working with lots of dogs with these sorts of issues at the moment and I am using management techniques, confidence building, classical conditioning ,Ttouch and ttouch groundwork to work with these dogs.
Their is no quick fix for a reactive dog as i know  as Douglas who has been with me for two years is still not 100 % around some dogs and I have been working with him since I got him.
I think his issues lie deeper than learned behaviour which has made his rehab difficult, wheras Bayley has responded a lot quicker as i believe his was a learned fear response but even so it has taken since february to trust him completly.
If you ever want to talk through anything please PM me and I would gladly give you my phone number if it would help.
mark

Penel

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2006, 11:25:01 PM »
Just to add to what Mark has said, Tracey is a friend of mine too - she is fab with reactive dogs.

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2006, 11:39:47 PM »

I agree as well, It took me 5 months to get Bayley off a long line and I partly do it for a living.

Her recall on a long lead was 100% reliable.  She wouldn't even attempt to run after other dogs whilst on a long lead at all when she began to know she wouldn't get anywhere so never bothered at all, she would glance and that was it.  I don't disagree that she can be trained and that something hasn't gone right in their training.  If she was 100% reliable on long lead how do you know it's the right time to let them have their freedom :huh:

Sorry Gill, I don't want to hijack this thread.

Edited to add that I have just done a search on recall and spotted Marks thread about succeeding with Bayleys recall.  Very impressive :shades:  I'll pass on any further advice I find ;)  Back to Gill's thread now ;)
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2006, 05:48:02 PM »
Just to add to what Mark has said, Tracey is a friend of mine too - she is fab with reactive dogs.

Small world eh penel, have you met the famous Cal and katie then?

Penel

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2006, 07:27:58 PM »

Small world eh penel, have you met the famous Cal and katie then?

yup I've known Tracey for about 6 years I think, basically since Cal was a pup  :D

Offline CAG

• Site Member
  • my girls, crumpet and hannah, both little tinkers
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2006, 11:47:39 AM »
I learned to use a long line at a proper training club , training was out side with other dogs with the same problem, timeing is essential. Nothink is as good as a line made for the job,we didn`t hold the line just watched the dogs when they went put our foot on it, but the line was used every time the dog run free.