Author Topic: Am I over reacting my dog of 18 months went for someone  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Zacky

• Site Member
  • Zacky being cool
Am I over reacting my dog of 18 months went for someone
« on: November 23, 2006, 09:11:22 PM »
Please help me.
My dog of 18 months who is adorable and loverable to everyone or so I thought. Today I took him for his usual walk, my neigbour bent down to greet him and my dog went for him.  I had him on a lead and restrained him. Late that afternoon I took him back to the neighbour to apologise and the neighbour gave him a treat my dog was so loveable to him   I was so scared and now I am so worried.  In addition this week my dog jumped on top of another dog again most unlike him I had to part him.  I have thought so hard as to why this has happened, my only slight explanation is last week he went to my parents for the week while I was away.  Could this be the trigger? They are dog lovers.  He has not been castrated.  I don't think I am over reacting -  Advise please.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Re: Am I over reacting my dog of 18 months went for someone
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 09:17:35 PM »
So he was okay when you went to see the neighbour later................

It could be something as simple as the angle at which your neighbour went to stroke him the first time made him jump/gave him a fright, so his reaction was to snap :-\

Offline Zacky

• Site Member
  • Zacky being cool
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 09:23:10 PM »
Yes he was lovely, my neigbour gave him a flapjack (naughty I know) and both my dog and the neigbour made a fuss of each other. What I am concerned about is there are a few children here and they all come up to him and love him like he loves them - could he turn on them too?

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 09:24:26 PM »
When you say "turn on them" what did he actually do?

Offline Zacky

• Site Member
  • Zacky being cool
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 09:28:20 PM »
Went for him - if he had not been restrained I am sure he would have bitten him.  He was so agressive, snarling barking it was so unlike him

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 11:29:02 PM »
First thing to check out is whether there is a medical problem. Sudden behaviour changes like this don't just happen out of nothing. A thorough vet check (and chiropractor too) is what I would do if he was my dog.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 03:50:40 PM »
my neigbour bent down to greet him and my dog went for him. I had him on a lead

This situation of someone towering over a dog can be very intimidating to some dogs. If you imagine the scenario from Zackys point of view, he's leashed so knows he can't escape and has someone five times his height is towering over him, very intimidating. Although you know your neighbour was ok and not going to harm Zacky, Zacky didn't share this belief and was telling your neighbour to back off. Growling is a dogs way of communicating, we have speach, we can say "sorry please go away I don't like you" but Zacky  didn't have this so responds the only way he can  ;)

My dog is vary wary of strokes too, he is fine with strangers until they tower over him, he hates it absolutely hates it. Like Zacky Billy was about 18-20 months when he first showed any signs of agression in this manner. I do think that the fact that he was fine with your neighbour later on shows that it was the scenario rather than the individual that was the problem.

I do think you need to take this as a sign that there may be scenarios that Zacky isn' comfortable with and try and build on this. I do not allow ANYONE to stroke billy now, instead I give them treats which they give to Billy. My aim is that Billy will eventually realsie that all humans are good, whether it will be enough for me to allow people to stroke him is  something I'll have to see.

I'd b wary around children, make sure they know how to behave around Zacky - better to be safe than sorry.

Offline Zacky

• Site Member
  • Zacky being cool
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 04:51:32 PM »
Jan/Billy - Thanks.  I am going to try this immediately.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 09:35:04 PM »
Ben is a bit like this too.  I notice you said Zacky was on the lead at the time, sometimes Ben is more likely to growl at a person or dog if he is on the lead, but fine off it.  i am not sure if i tense and send messages to him and he responds by growling but i don't let anyone stroke him now until i'm ready, then i loosen the lead and let Ben make the move towards the person rather than them towering over him.  Its strange but when he has the choice he is very definate about who he goes to to be stroked and who he takes no interest in, so to some extent I am guided by him.

Bens mum

Offline Zacky

• Site Member
  • Zacky being cool
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 09:47:10 PM »
Thanks Ben's Mum.  We are going to pay special attention to all his social encounters and reward him with treats when he does good.  In addition if people want to say hi to him we will discourage them petting him, only once they have given him a treat will we encourage it.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 10:32:04 PM »
Thanks Ben's Mum.  We are going to pay special attention to all his social encounters and reward him with treats when he does good.  In addition if people want to say hi to him we will discourage them petting him, only once they have given him a treat will we encourage it.

I can usually tell when Billy dislikes someone, after a while you should be able to read his signals if he is comfortable or not with a situation  ;)

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 01:49:08 PM »
I agree with Jan, I don't allow anyone to stroke Jakey on the lead as he hates being towered over.  Off-lead he's fine.

I can verify though that the treats thing does work  ;)

You do need to be on your guard though because lots of people see a Cocker and think "how cute" then don't even ask just put their hands out  >:D

Good luck.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Zacky

• Site Member
  • Zacky being cool
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 09:21:46 PM »
Hi All
Took Zacky to the vet today for a thorough check over to make sure he is OK. Poor thing he has an ear infection and a little bit of dermatis.  The vet says otherwise in good health.  He made sure a fuss of everyone at the vet which was so re-assuring.  So perhaps he has just been having an off day or too as feeling under the whether.  I will keep you post.  Thanks to all.  I will take note of what you have all said and try or the tips and tricks you have all recommended!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 09:24:39 PM »
An ear infection may very well account for his grouchiness - hope it clears up soon
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Zacky

• Site Member
  • Zacky being cool
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 09:25:51 PM »
Thanks - Gill.  Welll he looks far more content lying infront of the fire making out he owns the place!!! :shades: :luv: