Author Topic: Why is she doing this?  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Why is she doing this?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 10:32:35 PM »
No worries, Loujo! Everyone has their preferred training methods. I think it depends what best suits you and your dog.

While that is true, I think it is important to know the reasons why different training techniques work, and the potential risk associated with each one  ;)

The use of a loud noise, or squirt of water, to interrupt unwanted behaviour are known as "adversives" - the dog stops doing something because something bad happens when it does  :-\ The risk with adversive training techniques (especially with bright dogs) is that they learn that the adversive (bad thing) doesn't happen when you're not there; so all you do is teach them to "hide"the behaviour you don't like  ::)

Alternatively, positive training techniques reward good behaviours, and ignore bad ones - the theory is that rewarded behaviour is reinforced, and ignored behaviour is slowly eliminated, as there is not any benefits for the dog  ;) A self-rewarding behaviour - such as counter-surfing, or ignoring a recall for instance, is more difficult to eliminate  :-\ but it can be achieved by preventing the dog being rewarded while you train an alternative behaviour - such as the use of a long line while training a recall - which is much kinder than the use of an adversive, imo  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 11:07:40 PM »
Hate to tell you IWLass but they're actually aVersives  ;) ph34r

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 12:09:57 AM »
When we moved to a new house, I too found out from my neighbour that Bailey was howling when left alone in his crate!  I had no idea and was equally disheartened when as not only was he disturbing my neighbours, but that he was so stressed and upset.  :'( :'(  I ended up giving him the run of the place and he has been good ever since (still barked a bit when the mail would come in or if someone knocked).  Not sure about the barking when you're in the house though...Bailey will do that when he hears a car pull up, but he stops after a few barks and it's not continuous.  I had to close all the curtains in the house though to keep him from barking at dogs that walk by.
Bailey and Mom

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 08:18:26 AM »
Hate to tell you IWLass but they're actually aVersives  ;) ph34r

True, although not all websites agree  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 09:22:24 AM »
I agree with some earlier posts that this dog sounds understimulated and perhaps frustrated.
I would seek the help of a reputable trainer who uses kind and positive methods and who will help you understand your dog a little better.
Punishment with a spray or other aversive may stop the behaviour temporarily but it will resurface in the long run and you will have to up the level of punishment to deal with this again.
Do you want to have to punish your dog like this forever?
You need to address the root of the problem and not just firefight with the symptoms.
A good trainer with understanding of behavioural issues or behaviourist should help you to be able to do this.

The problem with a lot of owners I meet is that their favorite word is NO, which they use to try and stop the dog  doing what it's doing which is fine as long as you then give the dog some guidance on what is a more acceptable alternative. The word NO or use of an aversive such as a spray or shake bottle gives the dog no road map to be able to perform a more socially acceptable behaviour.
This is where training, patience and gaining an understanding of how our cute fluffy hooligans see the world comes in handy.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 01:38:49 PM »

Lolajays, Ruby is a day older than your Maudie!

Thanks again for all the help everyone!  :D

Oh yes  :embarassed: sorry I forgot!
Its just that Maudie has just has her first season and she has changed a bit. She has become a bit bossy with other dogs, if they try to take her stick etc she growls at them. She is also grumbling and crying in her crate and she has never done this before. I wondered if it is just another phase she is going through and if Ruby was doing the same or is it linked to her season, adolescence, etc???????
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Niki

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 04:55:59 PM »
Swift suddenly got more 'gobby' as her first season started. She also had an accident in the house the day before, which in hindsight I think was again due to her season starting, because she had been great about going outside for months, and no accidents since either. She's now 3 weeks into her season, and her behaviour is definitely different, barking for reasons she never would normally. I'm putting it all down to hormones  :lol:

Offline magicflower

• Site Member
  • Ruby-doos!
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
Maybe she's hormonal then!I know that feeling well!  :005:  :005:

Anyway, we left her with the run of downstairs when we went to work/school today.

My dad picked her up at 9.30ish and when he arrived she was sitting on the window ledge watching the world go by!

I left her with a filled kong which ended up stuck under the sofa in the living room and some chews. The kitchen floor was littered with bits of dog food as I filled the treat ball with Arden Grange and a few special bits and pieces. Well, at least I know she played with it!

I haven't spoken to the neighbours yet!

I feel mortified to think about her being understimulated and frustrated. Mind you, she might have been yesterday as I was definately not on top form myself. No excuses, I know and I will definately make sure she's got more things to play with.

Watch out for another post asking for ideas!  ;)

Tracey, Ruby and Boomer xx