Author Topic: Any tips on becoming used to the vacuum?  (Read 2096 times)

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
Any tips on becoming used to the vacuum?
« on: May 13, 2007, 06:53:30 PM »
Well with five cats, 2 kids, a black cocker and cream carpets I should really hoover up a lot more than I do!  :huh: But Chloe really doesn't like the hoover at all! During the week she wee'd on my new rug (the same rug that she chewed the next day) and today she literally jumped on my knee when OH got the hoover out again! She was kept in kennels for 3 months prior to coming to live with us so all her household knowledge must have been forgotten!  :-\ Does anybody have any tips on how to get her used to what should be probably a daily occurence?

TIA!

Adele

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Any tips on becoming used to the vacuum?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 07:05:06 PM »
I'd just put her in another room while you are using it. To me it's not worth the stress to the dog  :-\

Crackers was afraid of the vacuum her whole life until she went deaf, so now I'm wondering if cotton in the ears would be of any help. Will have to wait to try it, my current lot don't care at all about the vacuum.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 07:10:58 PM »
Spike has always hated the vacuum cleaner; he just does a bolt upstairs if I'm using it downstairs & vice-versa if I'm upstairs with it. ;)

Domino isn't actually bothered either way.

I'd just put her in another room while you are using it. To me it's not worth the stress to the dog  :-\

I would agree with Michelle; perhaps pop her in another room whilst you're using it. ;)

Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 07:16:52 PM »
Thanks guys, I guess I'd hoped she'd get used to it but I don't think she will! :( She has 3 beds now to choose from so there is always another room for her to retire to!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 07:54:44 PM »
I agree, I always put Coco in the garden while I do the vacuuming  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 08:52:53 PM »
A friend has a golden lab that takes bonios off the end of the hoover, it has to be on low suck though!  Another room works just as well for us too.
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:03:01 PM »
Oh I'm glad to hear all this!  :005: I thought that maybe I should work on it a bit more! She hadn't been that bad until the other day when she wee'd on my rug, and she didn't do it because she needed to if you know what I mean? Fortunately our garage conversion doesn't actually get used that much so she can go in there whilst I do the rest of downstairs and she is quite happy to go to sleep in her smaller bed in there! I just hate to think of her being upset!

Thanks everyone!  :D

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 09:05:33 PM »
Jimmy has always been terrified of the vacuum cleaner - I tried desensitising him to it by moving treats closer and closer to it while it was turned off, then doing the same with it turned on. He got as far as taking a treat off it when it was on... but he was really nervous about it. In the end I just gave up and now do what everyone else suggests - I put him in a different room, it's easier for all concerned.  :lol:

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 09:11:53 PM »
Fern doesn't like the vacuum cleaner either - she moves from room to room as I go around hoovering.  It's not a problem though, it doesn't traumatise her - she's worse with the hairdryer if I aim it anywhere near her- although is fine when I'm doing my hair.
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 11:39:20 AM »
Douglas didn't like it and was fearful, but was also fearful of lots of things.
I wanted to see if I could solve it  so i got the Hoover out and left it off.
I threw chicken around on the floor.
I then turned the Hoover on in another room and Doug seemed to cope so we again threw chicken on the floor.
Over a few weeks we got to feeding him closer and closer to the Hoover switched on for brief periods.
When we could feed him near the switched on Hoover we built up the duration we had it switched on.
We then had a set back when we tried moving the Hoover when switched on, so went back to feeding Doug at a distance he could handle whilst the oh moved the Hoover round the house.
Eventually got closer and closer and then threw food for him as i walked round with the Hoover i started moving it away from him to start with and walking toward him with myself between him and the Hoover.
I now have a Hoover buddy as he sticks to it like glue when it's on these days.
Some people wonder why I don't have enough time to post more regularly on here. ;) :D
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 12:12:31 PM »

Louie hated the vacuum cleaner at first, he's fine now though ;)

We left it in the room unplugged for ages, then put it one for short periods, gradually building up the time.  I used to sing really loudly so he could hear my voice above the hoover, I sang his name lots too :embarassed:

It worked though ;)

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 01:20:58 PM »
The things we do for our dogs!  :005: Thanks for sharing everyone, I've been using the small hand held vacuum which she doesn't seem to mind as much so that might help her get used to the bigger version. She's not bothered about going near it when it's switched off, she's laid in front of it atm in her basket fast asleep!  :lol: Just the noise I guess!  :-\

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 06:06:25 PM »

Eventually got closer and closer and then threw food for him as i walked round with the Hoover i started moving it away from him to start with and walking toward him with myself between him and the Hoover.
I now have a Hoover buddy as he sticks to it like glue when it's on these days.

:rofl1: :rofl1:

Do you still throw him chicken?

btw - very impressed that you hoover at all - my OH wouldn't know where to find ours  :lol:
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x