Author Topic: I have been so stupid - thread updated  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Mj

• Site Member
Re: I have been so stupid.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 04:21:19 PM »
I take Poppy to school every day and she loves waiting for my son to come out, but will hide behind me if it gets too much
Don't worry, you are not stupid, cockers can't help but get excited, just be firm with the children and show them how to approach Honey
Poppy and family xx

Offline patti

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 04:29:29 PM »
I know how you are feeling - have been there - many times!  Not long ago I felt I really couldn't cope and discovered COL which has been great.  I still have bad days and feel I am letting Bailey down and not doing things right.
What was your original problem with Honey?  How old is she?

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »
Hello
You are doing a great job with Honey there was no harm done, but I agree with the otheres that may be it is just a bit much for her at the moment and you might like to take a step back in her training.
If its any consolation I have had a few issues with Charlie in the last week, one when he made an absolute spectacle of both of us, barking at a man who was doing nothing but minding his own business. He didn't stop the more the man tried to be nice (from a safe distance) the worse Charlie got! I am now avoiding taking him tomthat place for a while as there have been a few situations there,
You are not stupid I think your doing just great
Claire

Offline kb

• Site Member
Re: I have been so stupid - updated post.
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 07:46:06 PM »
Thanks all for your support - still feeling a bit fragile about it all - but I think thats part of the problem.

Patti - Honey is not great with strangers and quite nervous which can come across as being aggressive.

Ours is a stressful house and I thnk this affects Honey. I have been very anxious over the past 2 weeks as things haven't been smooth with Rach. To be honest Honey is really tuned in to my emotions That may sound silly, but I think I do make her more jittery when I am uptight. I have never met such a sensitive little dog - everything about her changes when I am uptight - probably because the atmosphere in the house changes.

I would really appreciate any suggestions as to what I can do to have less of an effect on her. I am working very hard on my anxiety, but feel it impacts on her.

After the incident happened the other day, I was really upset - she cuddled into me, she pawed me (always turning her face away though), she licked me. I know these are calming signals, so I know she sensed something was wrong - obviously I don'tt hink she knew she had done it, but nevertheless could sense the anxiety.

I just hate to think I am stressing her - aswell as everyone else ::) :shades:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 11:34:47 PM »
. To be honest Honey is really tuned in to my emotions That may sound silly, but I think I do make her more jittery when I am uptight.

Not silly at all, dogs are very very attuned to the emotions of the household, and their favourite person in particular. Their interior lives are lived almost entirely through their emotions. They pick up on vibes we may not even be aware we are feeling ourselves.

As far as what to do, that falls into the human realm, rather than dog training. Perhaps counseling? Or take some time for just yourself, have a spa day or go have a drink with some friends? Yoga or relaxing techniques?

You strike me as a very sensitive person yourself, and that can be a double edged sword. It makes you wonderfully attuned to people and dogs,and very empathetic, but it can also make you take things a little too personally. Don't forget that those around you, human or canine, have their own thoughts, emotions, personalities and agendas. That in no way means that you have done anything "wrong", or are in any way to blame. You are doing the best you can with what you know how and you can be proud of that. Not only that but you are educating yourself about what you don't know.

You have a difficult child and a difficult dog, but it's said that we are not given more than we can bear--so you must be a strong lady! :luv: Try to work on not being so hard on yourself! You just do the best you can, then at some point you just have to let the chips fall where they may. If something doesn't work it does not mean you are a failure, it's simply that that particular thing didn't work, try something else next time.

Just concentrate on how much you love Honey, even when she is being a  >:D, she will feel that too!

:-* wishing you lots of good things!
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: I have been so stupid - thread updated
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
stick at it kathy, Spaniel crazy has given some sound advice

how often do you and honey Play?
mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »
I suppose we play a couple of times a day and usually a short training session to keep her in the way of things. We play tug of war and fetch games and someitmes we play run around the garden - she does the running though.

She can get a bit nippy when you play - trying to bite trouser legs etc, so have to be careful. One thing she really loves is if we get on the trampoline together - she runs around and then I lie down and she rolls over and over, butting me and so on. Yes, the neighbours probably thinks I am crazy - but she loves it. She stamds beside the trampoline barking for me to get her on. Obviously I am cautious about her safety aswell.

Offline patti

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 02:33:14 PM »
She sounds very similar to Bailey who also is not great with strangers.  He is very wary of anybody who approaches (except kids) and he gives a very aggressive bark.  I have been very stressed about it and have had so much conflicting advice from other dog owners, the vet, behavourists and my head was in a spin.  We are working really hard on his behavour at the moment and when we have a bad day I feel so let down and upset which I am sure he picks up and that doesn't help.  I have found the advice from COL members to be a big help and it's keeping me positive.  We have a long way to go.  When he is home with us he is fab - absolutely the best.  Good luck

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 04:53:38 PM »
She sounds very similar to Bailey who also is not great with strangers.  He is very wary of anybody who approaches (except kids) and he gives a very aggressive bark.  I have been very stressed about it and have had so much conflicting advice from other dog owners, the vet, behavourists and my head was in a spin.  We are working really hard on his behavour at the moment and when we have a bad day I feel so let down and upset which I am sure he picks up and that doesn't help.  I have found the advice from COL members to be a big help and it's keeping me positive.  We have a long way to go.  When he is home with us he is fab - absolutely the best.  Good luck

Patti and KB i had a terrible day the other day as i got too close to some loose dogs and a couple came running up to us.
before i could react Douglas and bayley were seeing off the unwanted attention.
i tried to stay calm and just walked off and gave them a toot on the whistle to which they responded.
I was still shook up a bit by this and was angry that with my experience i had put the boys in this situation in the first place.
I have a lot on at the moment and wasn't quite on my game and a split second is all it took for things to go wrong.
What I'm trying to say is these things happen even when you are trying so hard to manage situations for them not to.

next day was fab as we had some wonderful controlled interaction with three springers and it just totally lightened me and the mood of the dogs.
mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 05:16:20 PM »
Ours is a stressful house and I thnk this affects Honey. I have been very anxious over the past 2 weeks as things haven't been smooth with Rach. To be honest Honey is really tuned in to my emotions That may sound silly, but I think I do make her more jittery when I am uptight. I have never met such a sensitive little dog - everything about her changes when I am uptight - probably because the atmosphere in the house changes.

I would really appreciate any suggestions as to what I can do to have less of an effect on her. I am working very hard on my anxiety, but feel it impacts on her.

Hve you ever tried Bach FLower remedies on Honey? THere are some which are specifically for hte kind of thing syou are talking about - Walnut for absorbing the stress and anxiety of those around the dog and Mimulus for fear and nervousness are two that might help her immediately, and also perhaps Vervain for being highly strung. You can find out about treatment here http://www.edwardbach.org/ppage.asp?pagenameid=WB3ANIM

I've used them on my boys and think we've had some success - worth a try anyway.
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline mentalcat

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 09:20:25 AM »
Hiya,

Don't beat yourself up about it - we ALL have our off days, and our dogs do TOO ;)

I think in your situation, the shih-tzu yapping probably fired Honey up a bit and the child running up to her just was too much at that particular moment. 
Unfortunately, a lot of kids still don't know how to interact with dogs and go a bit 'bonkers' when they see one, 'specially a cute cocker. So many people drive their kids to school that the friendly group of kids, mums (and dads!) and assorted dogs don't seem to be around much any more. When i took Isla who is a Pets as Therapy dog to the school that my kids are at, some kids admitted that they had never even touched a dog ::).

IMHO, some dogs never really 'like' kids - they put up with them, but still feel a bit uncomfortable around them. I used to work a dog who was as cute as they come, but positively 'hated' kids, he seemed to be a dog magnet to them. After a lot of hard work, he got to the stage of tolerating them, but never really 'liked' them.  All dogs are different and some of our doggy friends with 'issues' just can't seem to figure kids out at all.

I don't know all of Honeys story, but she seems to be a VERY sensitive soul who picks up on any tension around her and this comes out as unpredictability.

Take a step back, have a large glass of something and try not to worry about it.

Ali :blink:

Offline kateM003

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 06:19:52 PM »
Hi - just wanted to say that I'm new here but it seems like you're doing SO well - dogs are hard work! I know some dog owners that allow their dogs to jump up etc and don't even try to correct them. And they don't see a problem with that. You have the good sense to recognize what is desirable behaviour and you're doing your utmost to train Honey. Best wishes to you, your family and Honey.
Kate.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 06:27:10 PM »
I wanted to suggest Bach flower remedys aswell - Rescure Remedy is great for you and Honey!!!
You could share a few drops each day :005:

I use it as I know i get anxious/strssed easily so if i'm particually wound up a few drops is great, and its safe to give to dogs too.

Bens mum :luv: