Author Topic: Attention Seeking  (Read 1274 times)

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Attention Seeking
« on: May 16, 2007, 03:31:17 PM »
Need some advice regarding Molly............

Since we brought Honey home Molly hasn't shown any jealousy or aggression toward her (apart from when Honey is jumping all over her and Molly tells her when she's had enough ::)) and since her fist walk, people are very interested in Honey as she is a puppy and they fuss over her and don't really talk to Molly anymore :-\

So this week as soon as anyone walks up to us, even if they don't speak, Molly barks continuesly until they have walked right passed!

I'm not sure if she's barking to say "I'm here please come and see me" or if she's meaning "go away and don't touch Honey"

I've had a few people say that i need to control her more otherwise she'll teach the puppy to behave that way - and thats the last thing i want - Molly was fine on walks until we got Honey!

Do you think its just attention seeking?

Lucy x

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
Re: Attention Seeking
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 05:31:29 PM »
AWWWW how sad people are so insensitive, I would talk to Molly first every time. Can't help with your issue though.

Offline Billybang

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 08:43:29 PM »
Are you still taking Molly out on seperate walks of her own too?  If so does she still bark when people are approaching, or is it only when Honey is with you?

I think you have hit the nail on the head, it may be jealousy or just the pure fact that she is not used to people approaching all the time.

Firstly make a fuss of her yourself everytime someone stops you, and don't be afraid to also ask people to fuss Molly too. She may even be being protective of Honey and not liking all the attention and is warning others of her presence.

Don't worry, if she is anything like my dogs soon she will become bored of all the attention Honey gets and just plod off when people are cooing over her and best of all Honey will soon grow and loose the publics interest and that should really settle her back down again. :blink:

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 08:50:16 PM »
All Molly's walks are with Honey - should i walk them separately?

I was wondering about this as Molly isn't getting her usual long walks because with Honey we are only walking for 15mins twice a day!

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 09:48:32 PM »
Yes.  :D Two x 15 minute walks is not really long enough for a 2 year old cocker. It also gives you the opportunity to spend time with each dog on her own. And for them to spend time apart.

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
ok then - will change our schedule:- 15 mins morning walk both, 1-2 hour afternoon walk just Molly and 15 mins afternoon walk just Honey? Is that enough for them?

Before we got Honey, Molly had 2 walks a day - 30 min morning, 1-2 hour in afternoon

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 11:39:34 PM »
Yes.  :D Two x 15 minute walks is not really long enough for a 2 year old cocker. It also gives you the opportunity to spend time with each dog on her own. And for them to spend time apart.

I agree --- when you have a pup and an older dog you have to do some exercise/training separately depending on the dog. In theory Molly should still be getting the same exercise she did before. Having a new pup is hard work and you have to accomodate the older dog as well (not by mollycoddling them but by making sure things like exercise are the same)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline charlie_jim_gem

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 05:52:36 PM »
she may or not its hard when u dont knw what she wil react to but try taking honey on her own and she what happens