Author Topic: Kitten trying to suckle Chloe!  (Read 1831 times)

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
Kitten trying to suckle Chloe!
« on: May 30, 2007, 05:43:54 PM »
Not sure whether to put this under health or behaviour really! As I've said before Chloe's best friend is a 6 month old kitten, they adore each other and share the dog bed and play together quite a lot! Well Dotty, the kitten, does the pawing thing as they do to their mums when they want milk and I believe it's a sign of love. Chloe looks quite perturbed but puts up with it and just lays there!

I'll try and cut to the chase and keep it short anyway!  :005: Dotty's mum let her suckle from her for ages after she was weaned, until she was spayed anyway when she started fighting back! A few minutes ago Dotty was cuddling Chloe as usual and I think she was trying to suckle her!!!!  :o Her head was down and I think I heard noises as well, Chloe on the other hand didn't batt an eyelid!

Chloe hasn't had her first season yet and I don't think she's showing any signs of coming into season either. My question is could this be detrimental to her health and potentially bring on a phantom pregnancy if the kitten does suck on her nipples?  :-\ I'm a bit worried to say the least!!  :huh:

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
Re: Kitten trying to suckle Chloe!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 06:13:49 PM »
One of my cats does the padding thing and she burys her head in whatever you are wearing of in the duvet and it looks like she is suckling, I think she sucks her tongue. Perhaps she is just doing this???? :005:
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 06:18:19 PM »
Not heard of them sucking their tongue, maybe! LOL!  :005:

Offline kellyjayne

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 06:45:18 PM »
Our cat suckled our old dog when she was a kitten. Heidi (the dog) never batted an eye lid either! Don't know about any adverse affects tho!
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.  ~Roger Caras

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 06:56:48 PM »
One of the cats we had when I was growing up used to knead our tummies then suck our jumpers  :005:  I don't see the harm in it really  :luv:
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Cazzie

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 06:57:59 PM »
My JRT Daisy adopted my kitten Josh, he would try and suckle from her and she used to wash him  :005:

Daisy & Josh  :luv:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 07:21:24 PM »
My JRT Daisy adopted my kitten Josh, he would try and suckle from her and she used to wash him  :005:

Daisy & Josh  :luv:

Ohhhh that is so cute  :luv: :luv:  One in the eye for all the folk (not on here!) who say that terriers can't live with cats or small animals!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 07:30:22 PM »
I think that's a really cute story and nowt to worry about at all. How nice that Chloe lets her do that. Oh, and by the way......Dotty is a fantastic name for a kitten. Does anyone remember the wee leema (sp) on Animal Magic called Dotty  :luv:
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 12:28:54 AM »
With those little kitten needle teeth, I  doubt the kitten is actually suckling  :005: She's probably just going through the motions and doing the kneading bit. She may be sucking on Chloes coat, but I think Chloe would put a stop to it pretty quickly if the kitten actually suckled.  :o >:D :005:

I had a kitten one time try to sucle my male cockers bits while he was sleeping ph34r We practically had to scrape the poor dog off the ceiling!  :lol:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 09:29:52 PM »
Daisy and Josh are sooooo cute!  :luv: :luv:

Thanks for the responses everyone! A lot of what has been said makes a hell of a lot of sense!  :005: They're both laid next to me on the floor asleep on a cushion, very sweet! Well Dotty wasn't yesterday when she caught a baby blackbird but she's a cat!  :-\

Jools - i don't remember the llama I'm afraid but Dotty is very dotty indeed! She is adorable! When she was born she was white with black dots, hence the name, but the dots have now turned into heart shapes and she is just the cutest little thing!  :luv: One sister and brother were totally white like mum and her other sister is tabby and white and was the one we were going to keep but her personality wasn't really suited to young kids, strange! Dotty loves the kids and the dog so much! The tabbie and white mind has gone to live with a very good friend who has two westies and she is well and truly the boss in that house!  :005: No more kittens in this house, we thought Spooky, mum, had been done but definitely has been done now!  :lol: It was great having all those kittens but I always feel irresponsible!  ph34r