Author Topic: Guarding Food  (Read 766 times)

Offline Beanie

• Site Member
Guarding Food
« on: June 01, 2007, 11:51:13 AM »
Yesterday Maisy was given a treat of a pigs ear by my friend (she had gone into her for a few hours as I had to work late and did ask first!) well it went down a treat BUT Maisy got very posessive of it, growling at anyone who came within 10 feet of her!  I must admit I was slightly scared as she took the pigs ear into her crate and then went mental if you even walked near to the crate, thrashing around, bearing her teeth!!  how should i deal with this in the future?  I just left her to get on with it and when she had finished she went in her crate for bed but I must admit I was slightly nervous of her reaction.

I would like to start feeding her a raw diet but do not want to give her a chicken wing if this is going to be her reaction (we did try this a couple of months ago and she had the same reaction as with the pigs ear but I thought it was cause she was teething.  in the end she didn't eat it and just guarded  it for two hours so I tempted her away with cooked chicken so I could clear away the wing)

I know that bone is an important part of the BARF diet but I cannot really think about it why she is being so possesive.

Any advice? I know I may have dealt with this wrong but I was honestly shocked at her reaction, she looked menacing  ph34r

Nina

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Re: Guarding Food
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 12:07:05 PM »
Yesterday Maisy was given a treat of a pigs ear by my friend (she had gone into her for a few hours as I had to work late and did ask first!) well it went down a treat BUT Maisy got very posessive of it, growling at anyone who came within 10 feet of her!  I must admit I was slightly scared as she took the pigs ear into her crate and then went mental if you even walked near to the crate, thrashing around, bearing her teeth!!  how should i deal with this in the future?  I just left her to get on with it and when she had finished she went in her crate for bed but I must admit I was slightly nervous of her reaction.

I would like to start feeding her a raw diet but do not want to give her a chicken wing if this is going to be her reaction (we did try this a couple of months ago and she had the same reaction as with the pigs ear but I thought it was cause she was teething.  in the end she didn't eat it and just guarded  it for two hours so I tempted her away with cooked chicken so I could clear away the wing)

I know that bone is an important part of the BARF diet but I cannot really think about it why she is being so possesive.

Any advice? I know I may have dealt with this wrong but I was honestly shocked at her reaction, she looked menacing  ph34r

Nina

I dont think you dealt with it wrong at all. The first time you swapped what was precious to her with something more appealing and the second time you just left her to it - rather than confounding her fears that you were going to take it away. Im not sure if it is better to leave them ot get on with it or to swap it with something more appealing. I imagine someone with more guarding experience will come along.

I've not got much experience with guarding and I dont know why some dogs feel more compelled to guard than others. Hurley has never guarded anything from me but he has given the greedy cat the odd growl if she comes too near him when he is eating.

Hopefully someone will be able to come along and give you some advice of how to deal with it in the future!

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 03:52:17 PM »
I had a similar thing with Jarvis, he's definately prone to guarding behaviour, ::) however, he's almost perfect with food now. :D It's taken a few months of training but it can be done.

I asked a question when it kicked off with Jarvis and got a very helpful reply from craftysam (thank you! :D ) which i hope she won't mind me quoting.

Firstly I believe that I, or anyone else, should be able to remove anything from my dogs without issue. There's a few reasons for this.

Firstly from a safety point of view. If my dog has something that is very dangerous for it, I (or whoever discovered the danger) need to be able to take it from them without an guarding problems. Secondly, I am becoming increasingly aware that people who don't know or don't have experience of dealing with dogs can act unpredictably. Your back could be turned for a few seconds and a visitor or child could quite innocently go to take a toy or something from the dog and if the dog hasn't been trained to accept this happening readily it could cause a real problem.

This is something that I focus on from them being pups. I can tell you how I deal with it and you can decide if its something you want to try.  Wink

Firstly sit on the floor, with his bowl in between your legs. Add a handfull of his food into the bowl at a time. When he is comfortable with this situation move on to stroking him while he eats. Again once he's comfortable with this situation move on to the next step. You can decide how you tackle this step depending on how accepting he is being. The aim is to add something tasty to his food while he is eating, say bits of ham or cheese. If you think he will accept you putting this into his bowl while he is eating then do that. If he's not ready for that yet, show him the food let him take it from you, then start to drop it in. Eventually you want to work towards being able to add the ham or cheese to his bowl while he is eating the food and for you to be able to stir it in with your hand.
He will learn from this that you aren't a threat to his food, but in fact you bring him extra nice things too.
Now I would advise you to take each step slowly and only move on to the next step once he's become totally comfortable with what you are doing.

Also begin to trade with him. So for example, play tug with him, while he has the rope in his mouth ask him to give. When he releases the rope praise and reward him immediately with his favourite treat. Then play tug again. Do this numerous times a day. Then start to ask him to give something up that he's playing with on his own. If necessary show him the treat. Once he's been doing this for sometime without issue, move on to a treat he likes. To begin with you might wish to hold the treat, say a tripe stick, while he eats it. Periodically ask him to give, praise and reward him well if he does this without issue. Eventually by the end of this you will be able to ask him to give whatever he has and he will without guarding.

This may take quite a few weeks to resolve. Try to resist moving on took quickly. Before taking the next step make sure that he is fully comfortable with what you are doing.

Even though Jarvis wasn't actually guarding the food bowl specifically from me, doing all of those steps has taught him to relax around people when he's eating. The only time we even hear a growl now is if someone doesn't realise he's eating and puts their face too near him, which i think is understandable so am training family on that one.

(By the way, Jarvis has the occasional raw bone to chew and will even drop that on command and won't growl :D )

Good luck.  :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 04:34:11 PM »
Pig's lugs are extremely high value treats, and they've been known to turn non guarders into guarders. if I were you, I wouldn't give her high value treats. I understand why you're concerned about giving her BARF, and I would be too.

My Millie was a guarder. We had to feed her on low protein dry food....we used Burns. After trying her once with a pig's ear, I vowed not to stress her or us out by giving her a second one.

One last tip. You may find Mine by Jean Donaldson an interesting read.

HTH

Jools x
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx