Author Topic: Molly's barking  (Read 737 times)

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Molly's barking
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
Please can anyone help me?? I'm starting to feel so awful and i dont know what to do :'(

Molly just wont stop barking at people who stop to talk to us, the week before she was spayed she would bark at anyone who passed us but now its just people who stop and talk!

Today while we were walking we bumped into another Cocker owner with his dog Teddy (gorgeous Orange Roan)! We know Teddy and the man's wife but had never met him before. He bent down to see my two and Molly started her barking, non stop, I asked the man to ignore her as thats what the vet told me to do but she just didnt stop!!

After 5 minutes of barking and trying to hear everything the man was saying, i had to apologise and walk off, i was so embarrased and upset. I dont know how to handle it as this is something new since we got Honey!

Can anyone advise me? The vet said if this doesnt stop we are going to have to go to the dog psychologist!

Thanks for reading

Lucy x

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Molly's barking
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 06:16:28 PM »
Molo often does this - bark, bark, bark - if I stop and chat when he is on lead  ::)

I ignore him, sometimes he stops, sometimes he doesn't  - but it's not a great problem - I see walks and exercise as his time, so I don't think it is totally unreasonable for him to tell me that he is bored  :005:

The phrase "gobby cocker" is used to describe some cocker spaniels, so they do tend to have a bit of a reputation for being rowdy  ph34r - if you are unhappy with her behaviour though, then you will have to work very hard to train her out of it  ::) 

I'm not sure about the need for a doggy psychologist though - I would suggest the time would be better spent on a session or two with a good one-to-one trainer who can teach you how to keep you focused on each other, and best train her to be "quiet" on command  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Letichia

• Site Member
  • Maverick
Re: Molly's barking
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 10:41:17 PM »
Mollie often does this when i take her out but usually to people carrying things..we have found out that she is only trying to protect me so i don't mind at all and she usually does stop if tell her too.
I think what IWlass said is good i think it is a bit too soon to see a doggy psychologist and she might just be going through a phase.
Letichia, Lilly, Polo and Maverick x